Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What type of sorcy?

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by BreakThruX, Mar 7, 2004.

1. BreakThruX

BreakThruX IncGamers Member

What type of sorcy?

Fire or cold sorc? And which spell? Also what about immune monsters? Thanks in advance. Oh yah i got a 3 fire skill sorc ammy and a 2 fire skill sorc ammy at level 30 so if i go cold maybe somone wanna trade? 3 skiller for another 3 skiller? Thanks.

2. Oxy

Oxy IncGamers Member

Okay, well;

Depends on where you want to run. If I were you, I'd want to run pindle/shenk/eldricht, just because NM Meph/Hell meph takes quite decent equip.

So, you go with fire - meteor. Meteor can pack a PUNCH (13k damage plz) with maxed synergies. So, max those (I don't know them off by heart), max mastery, 1 in ES, none in static (I wouldn't risk getting too close without gosu equip ; got me killed :D gogo RIP) and max telekenisis. That's all you need.

OR:

Max Orb / cold mastery / Ice bolt (or whatever orb's synergy is), 1 in ES, max telekenisis.

3. BreakThruX

BreakThruX IncGamers Member

I think ima just go with cold, somehow ill get some gear. Cold mastery pierces the resistance so ima use that, i wont have a decent merc to kill anyways so id need to help him with cold immunes.

4. doubleOObubble

doubleOObubble IncGamers Member

Andy/Meph runs = Orb or Blizz.
    P/E/S runs = Meteor/Fire ball.

That's for the "runs". If you are after a general questing build, then go with whatever you like best :)

If you go cold, you'll have a bit more spare points I think, so unless you have other plans, I'd do what Oxy said and get a nice and sturdy ES through max telekenesis. I have that and it really makes a difference.

5. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

I'm having a lot of fun playing my Meteorb Sorc. At level 70 she has max Meteor, max frozen orb, near max fireball, near max fire mastery. Used FO primarily through all of nightmare unless I run into cold immunes. Just starting Hell so I can't testify about that :)

don't max frozen orb's synergy, at only 2% per point it isn't worth it IMO. Definitely max meteor, fire ball and fire mastery. Fireball is great to shoot during the timer delay of meteor.

I'm going to try this build again only use Blizzard instead of Frozen Orb, just to be able to compare the differences.

When run into monsters that are both fire/cold immune, I static them several times and let me merc take care of them. i still hit them with a frozen orb or two to keep them slowed. My merc does the rest.

I went ahead and put a couple points into energy shield. After I did that I read up some stuff that recommended just skipping it since it does have the possibility of draining your mana at innopportune times. Whenever that happens I just chug a mana pot and teleport out of trouble. So far so good (fingers crossed).

6. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Blizz smokes Pinble, you just have to teley in and Glacail them then Blizz all dead.....that quick! Get out of there before all the CIs outside start knocking on the back door!

Meteor opens u up for many more runs that what a cold skill does. Meph can be taken with either, but Shenk and Eldritch need torched! If you want Andy i suggest cold, but Fire can work in there you just have a lot more crap immune to you which is more dangerous.

7. doubleOObubble

"both fire/cold immune, I static them several times and let me merc take care of them. i still hit them with a frozen orb or two to keep them slowed."

And this is on that "special" realm where cold immunes get slowed by Orb I take it? - GIB IP!!! :lol:

8. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

FO doesn't slow cold immunes? HA! I thought it did! This is my first ever sorc, I guess I should have read the guides a little closer. I thought for sure I noticed them slowing when I hit them with FO. I know cold immunes will get slowed by Holy Freeze, I thought my FO's were doing it an additional amount (sure looks like that's what's happening).

Oh well, I hit 'em with an FO anyway just out of defiance!

9. WingBlade

WingBlade IncGamers Member

From those stating opinions what type of sorc would be best to handle Hell Baal? is there such a sorcy? Since there are a large variety of immunes.

Currently, I have a FO/telkx sorcy, she has a blast w/ Meph, Andy, Maus & Crypt.

And I have my sin for Pit, Pindle, Eld and Shenk.

I keep trying to make a Skellinecro to take down Baal, but Bnet refuses to let my necros live that long. So far I've lost 2 good necros - one was 58 and the other was 67. So my luck w/ necros are a no-go.

10. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Blizz/Glacial

I have stated it over and over and those who listen thank me!

The build is the best all around build i have found for a sorc. It will do Baal and Minions with a Merc with a nice big weapon and a little static for those CI Skellies.

Yes som CIs Spawn but again with static and a good merc you can take them and if not lure them out and tele back.

Blizz Sorc can run just about anything but Shenk and Eldritch and Snapchip IIRC. Pindle is dead simple if you want to run him, you either do the "in and out" on the red to remove some of the CIs, or you tele past, nail them with glacial 1-3 times and bliz fowwed by a glacial while blizz falls if needed.

Glacial flat owns non CIs coming at you fast, bam dead freaking stop! HAULT!!!

Orb is a much easier brainless skill as it covers more area but if my sorc died today I would build a Blizz again and again if needed.

There is of course a "bug" or "empty spots in the blizz" from time to time where a monster wont take damage while obviously in the blizz. Simply tele and hit em again or Glacial him.

My Sorc:

17 telek
    Max Blizz/Glacial....adding to 3rd now
    Max mastery
    1 static
    1 ES 50% with skills

i have this gear:

Just added Tals amy but didnt need it had a nice +1
    Wizzy
    Whitstans
    32% Viper
    Soj (nice addition but still not a need)
    Natures (same as stone)
    Silks or Walks
    Frosties
    Shako but did great with a +2 Tiara also
    Tals Belt, but did fine with Nightsmoke

Alibaba on switch and a butt load of MF and life charms, only 7 open squares.

over 1100 life and 1k mana. I have plenty of FCR and fly thru everything. I can run anywhere I please with Bo, without I just take my time but have little worries.

This isnt an uber sorc, its just a damn good one. Gear can vary, jsut play accordingly. Andy is my main run when no BO is available.

11. WingBlade

WingBlade IncGamers Member

Thx for the info Stinger. Yes, I know you've suggested this build several times over, and I'm prob gonna try it.

12. doubleOObubble

I'm not going to argue what's better, but I'd like to comment on this one:

"Orb is a much easier brainless skill as it covers more area"

That's not how I use it, and not how anyone *should* use it. It's strength is the pin-point damage. The ocational chard (which makes up for the "more area") is NOT why one use Orb. It's for the 10's of shards that explode at the end of the Orb path. So, the point of using orb "is" not to cast it "brainlessly" to cover a larger area, but to make MASSIVE damage to ONE foe (ie Meph).

Maybe it's that misconception that makes people choose Blizz - a much more brainless skill IMO, if one has to choose such words. Orb, used right, damands ALOT more tactics and accuracy, as in skill.

Not pushing for it, just setting some misconceptions straight. Blizz is very effective!

13. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

Best sorc to run Baal (imo) would be CL or CL/Orb, as none of the minion packs are perpetually LI (Bartuc himself is rather frequently, but not 100% of the time). Since you're using CL you want the + lightning skills anyways so with the right gear you're getting 75%+ ES, 1 mana teleport, and insanely large static radius with single points in each while boosting your damage at the same time...
    Who needs to freeze lister when you're doing 10k CL? Huh? No one, that's who...
    Gloams are icky which is why I myself might lean to the orb/cl rather than straight cl, but with wand of LR and merc they're copable with. NoFriend-AoA claimed he went 94-95 doing solo baal runs with straight CL...he had himself a nice legit CTA long before the rune dupe to help him though.
    Try the 3 (stinger's included) builds on single player and decide for yourself.

Edit: Oh, and orb is all about aim. If you're seeing any shards escaping a pack, or more than ~5 off a boss, it's not being used nicely at all (unless the goal is to chill the screen before going to work on them). Easy to use compared to blizzard? Bah, blizzard you right click on meph from anywhere and get your merc to tank him, orb requires a bit more effort than that =/

Edit2: And another reason that orb is t3h r0x0rz, it can be set to left click making tele/static+orb that much easier.

14. Sharakorr

Sharakorr Banned

It depends, if u want to mf baal then do cold and fire sorc with fo, fire ball and meteor with tele, nrg shield and shiver armor. Otherwise... do wuteva u want :drool:

15. JDM.

JDM. IncGamers Member

If i were you i would go with meteor/orb. Maxing Meteor/Fire Ball/ Fire Mas/ Orb/ 1 in ES/ 1 in Cold Mastery

This will leave you with 7-8 K Meteor dmg 2 k Fire Ball dmg and enough orb to kill in Hell. If you solo magic Find Meteor easily takes out those pack with 1 to 2 hits..orb will take care of the FI. Havent tested out with Hell Meph..but all the other Magic Find places..its not to difficult to kill.

16. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Yes, pinpoint attacks with orb do increase effectiveness but it is still IMO a lessor skill with greater numbers. Sure if you tele past all and get meph solo Orb is great but for Baals packs Blizz is far better as it is also in Andys lair with the big nubers that can be in there. Glacial and its splash area can stop stuff dead in thier tracks and really ups the safety.

Many builds can do this task this is a simple fact, but which one is the safest and most versitale? Those two things always come to my mind on builds.

I also like to look at sorc builds as if I had no gear, or poor block.low life as usually my sorcs have crap gear. Blizz is an extremely effective build allowing max safety and killing from a long range with a synergy skill/very effective secondary skill of Glacial that is like a wall to all none CIs.

Blizz, glacial, glacial, glacial, Blizz, glacial, glacial, glacial, Blizz, glacial, glacial, glacial, is a lot of damage output and not just on one single pinpoint like most other skills.