Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What to use Cresent Moon in?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by ImmortalChicken, Mar 23, 2004.

1. ImmortalChicken

ImmortalChicken IncGamers Member

What to use Cresent Moon in?

I got the runes for this runeword. Now im wondering what weapon would be the best to use up the runes in. Any input is very welcomed.

2. sJw_shan

sJw_shan IncGamers Member

Personally I put mine into a phase blade because it swings fast, and has no repair costs. However a more powerful choice for a one-handed weapon would probably be a mythical sword, or even conquest sword. I like to whip out my phase crescent on switch for act bosses to get em to or at least near 50% hp asap. Works on dclone!

3. 0blique

0blique IncGamers Member

If you wanted to be interesting, you could use it in a small crescent axe. Of course, it's not very fast.

4. ImmortalChicken

ImmortalChicken IncGamers Member

I'm pretty new at this, but do phase blades come in ethereal? Is yours ethereal? How does your phase blade perform(dmg etc)? Thnx again.

5. sJw_shan

sJw_shan IncGamers Member

Unfortunately phase blades can never spawn as ethereal. My phase blade crescent moon only does about 95-105 physical damage. Burns through early acts in solo, but later on or with people in the game the sword becomes only a tool for act bosses or ghost champions and stone skin uniques.

If you upgrade an ethereal ginther's rift to a phase blade, it will look ethereal. That's the closest you can get to having an ethereal phase. Unfortunately ginther's has such low enhanced damage and bonuses that the resulting sword is just a collectible I suppose. And the phase blade ginthers will also have no durability, look ethereal, and repair itself in x seconds. Funny huh? On another side note, you can spawn rare phase blades with repair in x seconds mod also, even though all phases have no durability =).

6. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

can't get an etheral phase for runewords. rare upgrade works and keeps the etheral.

i use crescent moon in a legend sword for the total -35 ias.

7. Pent

Pent IncGamers Member

I recommend an ethereal 3 socket ettin axe for a blade fury assasin, being the highest 1 handed avg dmg weapon for cresent moon. good luck finding one though

8. halohalo

halohalo IncGamers Member

Let me tell you that the crescent moon phase is THE weapon to go for the Tesladin build. You can use it till the end of the game :)

Phase blade needs only 75% IAS to meet 4fps Zeal WITHOUT fanaticism aura. 20 already on weapon, 20 from gloves, 20 from highlords or such, 15 from a jewel and you are set. You will soon love the crazy speed of it. Note that the runeword got ITD in it, so you will see how fast and succesful you are doing that hits. Doesn't work on bosses tho :)

The bad side is that it's got too low physical dmg. mine does 89-100 only. That's why I adopted the Crushing Blow setup. Grab a gorerider, guillaume's face, and/or steelrend and you will know what I mean.

All these apply only when you are a tesladin with zeal. Crazy speed.

9. steve2677

steve2677 IncGamers Member

I would like to say that my first crescent moon runeword was in a crescent axe for irony, but i would put it in a phase for speed and no repairs:D
    I also put it on my holy freeze merc in a great poleaxe for kicks and works rather well:D but i just like the availibility of these runes involved so im a nut for making them in ne weapon i get :D

10. rickcarson

rickcarson IncGamers Member

Phase Blade roxxors

I'm really poor, it says something when just about the best thing I'd ever got pit running was a socketed sword...

Tragically, I hadn't really caught the blocking bug, so none of my characters could use the thing!!! D'oh!

Anyway, I was in a game on the weekend when the SOJ counter started going, so I stuck around and eventually the wee beastie appeared.

I had a go at him with my army slow-mancer, because thats the only character I have that can really do well in Hell. Basic theory is Clay Golem + Holy Freeze Merc + Decrepify + Magi firing ice bolts. It works on most stuff. Hell Baal particularly. He still gets in attacks, buts its slowed down to one every ten seconds or so :)

Problem was, it didn't work on the DC, because even though it slowed him right down, it lacked the killing power (because of his regen etc), and his Armagedon makes short work of my army (even though they can take Hell Baal area attacks, the DC's just eats them up and spits them out).

So I tried all my other characters. Nothing was working. Even my Buriza (which someone gave me... heaven forbid that the $%&^%& game would actually cough up something decent for me!!!) only scratched the paint. I tried different combinations of gear, the works.

There were two obvious conclusions:
    (1) I suck
    (2) I suck

Now technically thats only one reason, but its such a good reason, it bears mentioning twice.

As a last resort, I mule a Blackhorn's Face onto my lvl 67 Durimule-Barb and send him out to have a go. To my surprise the fecking beastie *stayed* damaged!!! When I'd had the Blackhorn's Face on my zon, the 'Prevents Monster Heal' must have not been working on ranged attacks!

I try a variety of weapons, including a Blood Moon (crappy elite rare, courtesy of the pits). That did a bit of damage... then I thought 'why not find a bit more +dex gear, and try the Crescent Moon Phase Blade???'. I did, and it was actually doing noticeable damage to the DC.

About 3 hours of hit and run later, I killed the DC.

My gear:
    'Smoke' in Ghost Armour (for resists)
    Blackhorn's Face (MVP)
    'Crescent Moon' in Phase Blade (other MVP)
    some crappy (ie 1.09) rare gloves (3% life leech)
    some crappy (ie 1.09) rare belt
    some crappy (ie 1.09) rare rings (mainly for dex and str)
    a +6% resist all +4% mana leech amulet (my best leech amu - what part of I am poor and suck do you not understand???)
    Blackoak shield (with perf diamond hastily shoved in it for resists - this was what gave me enough dex to use the phase blade)
    Immortal Kings boots (no I don't have the full set, just the boots and two helmets)

My leet skillz (or lack thereof)
    Max Sword Mastery
    Max Whirlwind
    1 pt Berserk (what I was using to layeth the smacketh downeth)
    ~15 pts in BO
    ~4 pts in Natural Resist
    200+ vit (just shy of 2k hit points with BO)
    Lots of crappy charms (for resists and str/dex)

Nb: because of the huge level difference my defense was meaningless anyway, so I didn't miss it, not that it was particularly amazing to start with anyway (with Defense merc (my main attack skill in 1.09 was Concentrate with the occasional whirl when I could get the mana) it hits ~5k which is nothing special for a Barb). So Berzerk's big disadvantage didn't really matter.

I had max (75%) resists except for Fire, which was 69%, so I probably took about 20% more damage than I needed to.

In retrospect I'd have done things a little differently. I'd try juggling things to get some crushing blow in there somewhere (probably the boots). My attack % was quite low as well, about 40% chance to hit the DC. But at that level, even huge AR wouldn't mean much. Some Fire Absorb would have been nice.

+Max to resist gear would have helped as well I think. I was taking a boatload of damage. I don't really know if the -35% to lightning resist was useful or not since I didn't have much lightning damage anyway.

My point: Crescent Moon is so good that even a bad player with bad gear (and a Blackhorn's) can (eventually) kill the DC.

It cost about 300k gold in healing/mana pots... money well spent!!!

11. JaZLee

JaZLee IncGamers Member

Wow congrates, persistance pays off :)

Great story and some good pointers, I'll have to look at making a crescent moon my self :clap:

12. chubbypuppy

chubbypuppy IncGamers Member

Crescent moon

I have a CM phase blade, and it rocks for a Tesladin, but who's retired now on the mule farm. I kinda wished I put it on a polearm weapon now, cuz that means I can use it for any of my characters (merc) instead of it being stuck on a phase blade. Something to think about.

About the guy that killed DClone in 3 hours, rock on and good job.

13. noogabooga

noogabooga IncGamers Member

I love to use this runeword for my act 5 mercs... I've made etheral crescent moon BB, CB, and Champion Sword so far.

14. rickcarson

Thanks.

I may have to hand in my card for the poor players club though.
    Since taking out the DC I've been killing NM Baal to level up the barb a bit (on the theory I might want to do it again at some stage :), and earlier in the week I scored a Tal's Mask and a Frostburn... both donated quickly, to my Lighting Strike (don't like Lightning Fury, I tried it in 1.09 and it wasn't that great) Amazon and Bonemancer respectively.

Then in a pit run with my MF Army-slow-mancer, I picked up a Stormshield.

But it gets better. I've been doing Andy runs for ages trying to get unique jewellery without success. But now my focus is on levelling up, so in NM Act 5 I pop over and say hello to Shenk (Skank??), eldritch and all their little buddies. This time there were *rather a lot* of these buddies. Two additional boss packs, plus a champion pack were all discussing tactics with Eldritch. Of course, I may not have used whirlwind against the DC, but against these guys it was pure slaughter. One lesson in the tactical application of 'whirl till you hurl' later, and they coughed up a unique ring *and* then Shenk's buddies cough up a unique amulet in the same run. Booyah!

Okay, so I'm looking at the amulet saying 'I bet thats a stinky Nokozoan'... and it was!! At first I'm like 'darn Blizzard unique teasers', then I take a look at the mods on it... +50% Fire Resist, and +10% max Fire Resist and believe it or not that looks strangely good for a DC killer. (Well, as noted I was really stretching to try to get resists up and failed to get max fire resist, so to me it looked good).

So then I'm starting to wonder whether the code base has gone back to that old 'must have amulet x before you can get amulet y before you can get z' rule that used to apply for rings and amulets (per LoD). Because as some people have noted, the starting codebase for 1.10 was an earlier version than 1.09... And I've been finding heaps of Nagelrings...

But no, I was wrong... it was a Raven Frost(!!!!) Well thats got to help the Dex problem just a little :-D Sadly as I look at the stats, I think its close to just about the worst possible Raven Frost, but its still light years ahead of any jewellery I've ever found before.

Okay, so after a bit I switch to my MF Necro. He's pretty much cookie cutter, with some hand me downs from a friend of a friend (umm... Shako and the MF armour). It had kind of annoyed me that I'd never found any chance guards... lo and behold some random monster on the way to the pits coughs up a pair of unique chain gauntlet thingies... and another one coughs up another unique amulet (two in one day! (actually two in one hour)).

So yes, my MF necro completed his set of MF gear with Chance Guards. Nice :) As I'm basking in the warm glow of yet another low level unique which had eluded me for so long, I casually mouse over the amulet, expecting nothing but bitter disappointment...

COME HOME BLIZZARD, ALL IS FORGIVEN...

It was an Atma's!!!

I stare at this in shock. Not in my wildest dream did I imagine... but wait! I've been tricked before! I've had 'good' gear with impossibly high level requirements... what is the character level limit on Atma's??? I nervously look, half afraid to face bitter disappointment again...

And its 60!!! w00t!!!! Something *good*, which I *can* actually use!!!

GFraizer, I love you, and I want to have your babies. (!)

In a dazed shock I stumble around the pits. Fortunately the slow-mancer build doesn't actually involve any real action on my part, as the shock would have made me the first fallen's I ran into love slave - as far as manual coordination goes.

Of course... everything in the pit is crap... till I get to lvl 2, its a hard fight... no wait, hang on, I have Corpse Explosion and 3 different kinds of minion from corpse raising abilities, and enough mana that I'm not afraid to use them... Okay, so for any of my other character builds it would be a hard fight... and some green bramble mitts drop.

??? 'What are those' I think... 'must be one of those useless exceptional set items...' (of which there are many, let me assure you).

OMG... its a Laying of Hands!!!

Oh, oh oh oooohhhhh!!!!!

(someone hand that man a kleenex....)

So after 3+ yrs of slogging away with little or nothing to show for it, in about half the time it took to knock off the DC, I've picked up at least 3 'godly' items. And at least two others that I've put on characters, plus the ones I discovered earlier in the week.

As they say, every dog has his day (I'm hoping mine lasts all week :)

15. chubbypuppy

Congrats :)

Congrats on the super night! I suggest you quit now so you can always have fond memories (joking).

Last nite I started a new sorc that I'm going to keep completely untwinked. First thing that happens is some highbie drops in and gives us a bunch of stuff :) . Stuff I can't use, but perhaps I can trade away. Playing untwinked is a very different feel, and pretty fun so far. I find myself grabbing all the blue items, poison and explosion potions, throwing knifes for money. Last nite I spent all my money for a +3 fireball staff, woo!

Speaking of which, I've been looking for a +3 fireball staff to make a twink Leaf (I have one made out of +2). The difference is that this one doesn't come with 2 sockets. If I use Lazruk's quest, do I always get the max sockets (which I think is 3 on a staff)? How can I get just 2 sockets, try my luck with the cube formula?

16. rickcarson

Don't make it twinked!!!

Don't give in!

Why? Because its actually fairly easy to make one yourself. The Countess hands out Tir like candy, and the occasional Tal (maybe even Ral if she likes you). (Of course, for the Tals to be any use you gotta get the cube from act 2, but by the time you are lvl 19 (min lvl for Leaf) you should be able to do that without too much trouble)

I've had her drop an entire runeword before! (Ith-El-Eth... and that was in Hell.... #[email protected]$^$%#^%$#!!!!!)

Do about half a dozen countess runs and you should be able to make Leaf no probs.

The second part is the +3 Fireball, 2 socket staff. Well, as you noted you can actually buy staves! Shop around in Act 1 or 2, and you can get one (expect this to take maybe an hour, tops) I think Act 2 is faster if you get the town exit right next to Drognan.

You should also be able to make Stealth armour (Tal-Eth, min lvl 17), which is really good. Probably best low level armour for you would be chainmail or breastplate, which you can shop for as well in Act 2.

------

You know... I guess it says something that I know all that off by heart, yet had no idea wtf those green bramble mitts were...

Anyways, good luck!

17. Eisirt

Eisirt IncGamers Member

Cresent Moon in Ettin Axe

For a Furysin you'd be looking for a 3 sock eth Berserker Axe.

THAT is the highest damaging 1-handed axe and a Fury doesn't have to care for durability on the weapon.

This is only my opinion....in fact it's what I am looking for.

18. chubbypuppy

Yeah not twinking her :)

Yeah I'm not going to twink this girl. Thanks for the encouragement, she's doing just fine actually. Money is pretty easy to get, that it almost amuses me when people whine about their money getting taken. Eventually, I might let her give items to my other characters if she finds something good she can't use, but I'll try to keep her pure.

Soon I'll hit Orb and I wont need a Leaf anymore. It's funny how Razorswitch sounds reallllyy good right now :D Stealth is one of my favorite runewords also, I use it all the time.

If you are getting bored with the game, try one untwinked. It's making the game fun for me again. I still don't have the heart to try a hardcore guy, that's just too much :p