Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What to twink first Assassin?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Pär, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Pär

Pär Diabloii.Net Member

What to twink first Assassin?

I've never played Assassin and no clue about the build, probably cookie-cutter something Martial Arts/Shadow until I figure out if I like it and which skills look cool and are reasonably effective.

No shield. (Ninja assassin with a shield?? *bleech*)
    No runewords requiring anything you can't get from Hell Countess in a few runs.
    No huge reliance on traps.

Which leaves me with ...rare claws as twink items? I'm guessing a bunch of +ED and IAS is good?

Are there any specific runeword bases I should look for - for later on in late Nightmare and early Hell?

I've got characters that can access NM Meph, but not terribly interested in running him over and over and over again. GoMule says my Flavie Report is at 71% Normal Unique and 90% Normal Sets although some stuff is ethereal (FEAR MY ETH Rixot's Keen!).

Any advice is appreciated.

2. jiansonz

jiansonz Diabloii.Net Member

Re: What to twink first Assassin?

There are at least five different Martial Arts builds, and none require high-end gear to be effective. I think you´ll enjoy it more if you decide from the beginning what you want to be so you don´t waste points (I´m still not in the world of respecs) because most builds require dedicated investment in the skills of choice.

Bartuc´s claws is very nice for a Martial Artist (lots of +skills and stat bonuses and other juicy stuff).

A Kicker build wants elite boots. Upgraded Gore Rider is the best option and the STR requirement on them isn´t ridiculous (156). But anything elite works - one good option is to imbue elite boots (preferrably the biggest type you have enough STR for).

Treachery armor looks nice, but I´ve only used it for mercs myself. If you want to try this, your setup needs enough IAS that you do fine without Burst of Speed (the ctc Fade on the armor overrides BoS).

Kenshi´s gloves of Alacrity should be good. Check the vendors often when you´re high enough in level. Crafted Blood gloves with +2 MA skills, IAS and life/mana steal is also a great option.

Don´t be so condescending regarding shields. Sure, Weapon Block is a good skill but it eats skill points and it´s harder to get good resists without a shield. On the other hand, you need less DEX investment for good blocking, and you can block many things a shield can´t.

3. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

It's kind of a broad question. A Phoenix Striker would work well claw/claw, although not everyone like charge up skills. Kick/Trap assassins are fun, but you would really want a shield there. I suggest you read some guides first:

Another 1.11 Kicker and K/T Guide by ilkori
    I'll link the Phoenix Strike guide later, or just look in the Mat & Pat compendium.

4. Pär

Pär Diabloii.Net Member

Arrighty, cheers for the help. I just really hate the 'look' of non-"knight" or traditional soldier archetypes running around with shields, though I know it's a bit of a self-nerf and the game is balanced around using them in Hell for the most part.

Are there any specific runeword bases I should keep an eye out for while I'm running around with 0% MF looking for that elusive 4s Matriarchal Bow? I've got a few Gore Riders and as long as my Strafazon stays alive I can share the "Treachery".

And it's probably gonna end up being claw/claw, which I assumed would further limit my reasonably effective build possibilities. Thanks for the link, I've checked it out earlier but didn't understand much since I've never played the class.

5. jiansonz

If you want to play a Talonsin (assassin with Dragon Talon (multi-hit kick) as main attack), you could look for 2-socketed claws with some useful staffmods to make 'Strength' in. Greater/Runic Talons, then Greater/Feral Claws are the fastest.

6. baqarah

baqarah Diabloii.Net Member

I recently made Rift-a-sin (great build, I recommend it to everyone, not very "ninja" though), and I have to say that kicks (D.Talon) seriously kick ***, esp. low level.
    Full Sigons (ias, fire damage and all the useful mods) + Khalim Will (my favorite twinking weapon, works SUPER well with kicks) = 25 lvl sin in no time. Then you can equip Natalya Boots (or some rare exceptional boots) and adjust your gear more (I switched Khalim's to rare claw with some ele damage). I think Im gonna try Iceblink armor at lvl 22when twinking my next char - questing through act 2 with all the skellies can be a real pain, and shattering corpses should be useful.
    At lvls 29-30 you can start equipping IK's gloves, boots and belt. With semi decent weapon (Strenght rw in a claw looks kinda good, Claw with Perfect Topazes should aslo work) and some random other pieces you can easily kill norm baal.
    At lvls 34-35 G.Face and Black runeword become available - 75 cb is GREAT with kicks.
    At lvl 42 Dual Bartucs - if you want to finally abandon weapon/shield route and go martial (respec ftw).
    At lvl 47 (or was it 49?) Goreraiders come into play.

As for other gear:
    I think Bartucs + Jade Talon is a great setup for skill based Martial Artists (I dont have godly rares with +skills, fools, ias).
    Also: Treachery is GREAT. I seriously LOVE this armor. For me it goes like this:
    Code:
    Treachery, the most awesome armor in the game
    Shael + Thul + Lem
    +2 skills
    +45 ias 
    +13 to Fade (for the total of +15)
    +13 to Venom
    +20 fhr
    +50% gf
    +30 cr

You have to check your ias BP, because you cant use Burst of Speed when wearing Treachery (BoS and Fade override).

My assa has something like ~67 lvl (just killed NM baal). Until mid 65 she havent used ANY skills other than D.Talon (I did put some points into Death Sentry and Blade Shield, though). Then I maxed Claws of Thunder and Pheonix Strike (just to see how it works, never tried PStriker). I really like these skills, but I think you have to max claw mastery for them to be decent (AR is too low for my liking with only 1 point in cm). Dragon Tail (fire damage kick) is also very good. Max Death Sentry (super cheesy CE damage) is an option. Add some 1 point wonders (CoS, Mind Blast, Blade Shield, Blade Fury) to the mix and youll be fine.
    I really like assa's skills, because you can mix many styles of playing into one build. With claws skills (Fists of Fire, Blades of Ice, Claws of Thunder), D.Tail and PStrike you can feel like a melee/caster hybrid. With D.Talon, Tiger Srike and D.Claw you can go pure melee (the most gear dependant skills). Traps = caster. You can even go ranged with Blade Fury (VERY gear dependant, however you only need 1 point to be effective).

You have to pick your main skill, add some back up, and you can go and mat your sin. Opportunities are almost endless.
    My first sin was D.Tail/D.Talon Kickasin, second was pure light trapper (powerful, but boring for me), another one was Rift-a-sin ("Rift" using assasin kicker, max D.Talon, max Death Sentry, max Shadow Master, max D.Tail). Right now I am in the middle of Rift/PStriker hybrid, but I am considering respec'ing to more of Rift/traps hybrid (I want to deal with gloams easier, so I can go fire traps). I want to go some kind of ele claws skill based sin in the future and when I find really good claws - pure melee (I've got 400+ claws right now, still need one more). I am not wealthy enough to make WWsin, but I would LOVE to try pvping with this one.

I know that everything that I wrote is very chaotic, but hope its somehow useful for you.

7. jiansonz

Hehe, I didn´t even use claws with my two most succesful Phoenix Strikers. But this is from a player who thinks 3000 AR is plenty (I don´t mind a bit of whiffing if I have a good Shadow and good crowd control). I used Attack as finisher - it was of course harder to hit with that than with PS itself (since PS does have a decent AR boost).

One way around most AR problems is to use a weapon with Ignore Target´s Defense (ITD). It´s available as an affix on claws, daggers, wands and scepters, and on some unique weapons. My character in the Gold Diggers tournament (she´s a DTail assassin, but basic gameplay is quite similar to that of a Phoenix Striker) uses Hexfire unique Shamshir, which has ITD. ITD doesn´t work on bosses, but both of these builds often don´t need to actually hit bosses since they can kill groups by hitting monsters next to the boss (or they can have Death Sentry mop up the last monsters in a pack).

8. baqarah

baqarah Diabloii.Net Member

I quess you can cope with ~4000 ar, but when compared with a huge AR boost from D.Talon, PStrike's looks very low (I hit 10k no problem at lvl ~65 with sth like 80 stat pts left). Im going to wait with the respec once my sin hits lvl 73, when I will be spending my stats on dex (max block with Stormshield). The thing is right now my crowd control is based on ctc Frozen Orb from Rift, and I wanted to have something vs CIs. I definately will make pure PStriker in the future, I think the idea of charged-up attacks is very cool.

ITD should work very well, since I do have DTalon for bosses. I also plan on having few points in Death Sentry, so we'll see. However I really dont want to lost huge +skills from Bartuc's/Jade Talons (Rare fool's claws with +2 assa/+3 PStrike, ias and sockets would eliminate all my problems ;) ).
    This is a great thing with sins - you have so many answers for your character's weakness you don't really know what to do/will fit you better.

9. RobbyD

RobbyD Diabloii.Net Member

I'm playing my first Assassin right now too. I find a combination of Death's, Angelic, and Sigon's to be a pretty awesome early game twinking combination. I can't speak to what skills work the best yet, but Tiger Strike (with the 2 +skills from Sigon's shield and Angelic Ammy) early on has been effective for me.

10. zrk

zrk Diabloii.Net Member

If you want a cookie cutter, the obvious choice is a lightning trapper. just load up on +skills (dual claws with skills are great) and a decent weapon for merc to take care of any special problems.

11. Pär

Pär Diabloii.Net Member

Probably not going traps, but thanks for the suggestion.

12. corax

corax Diabloii.Net Member

tiger strike + big 2 hander