Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What to socket Tomb Reaver with?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Shaka, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Shaka

Shaka IncGamers Member

I finally have been able to equipt my 84 holy freeze merc with some nice equiptment, tals mask, tals armor and a 3 socketed tomb reaver. So this means i'm rather poor now since I used up my good gear and runes to obtain this stuff. That leads to my question, what jewel, rune or gems should I put into the 3 socketed tomb reaver? I'm an 84 ladder meteor/frozen orb sorce which is mainly set up for MF. She is currently using shakow/topaz,skulldersw/topaz,tals amulet,occulus,upgraded goldwrap,21&29nagel,47%wartravs,perfect chance guards and a stormshield.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanx alot :)

2. st-hearts

st-hearts IncGamers Member

Shael, Ist, and Amn runes are nice choices for sockets. Otherwise, something with ED/MF if possible.

~Hearts~

3. wind

wind IncGamers Member

You know I asked myself the same question and figured with 3 sockets at least I can start with an amn rune in there, leave the other two for later. Now it's been a while and the funny thing is, he doesn't seem to need anything more in it. Works just fine as is now. So I'll just wait until I come across some better ed jewels.

I did use this online calculator ( http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/weaponspeed.php?lang=english ) and found out if you want to improve the mercs attack speed, 2 shaels are needed.

4. Shaka

Shaka IncGamers Member

Thank you for the 2 responces I have had, yet i'm so surpriced that at this time I have had more than 50 people look at this question and so many decide not to add their opinion..... come on people I need some advice, I don't want to add something to the open sockets and then later regret it.... yes I know I could always redo the sockets but i'm not rich enough to buy that particular rune... plz don't be shy to add your 2 cents worth :)

5. AlphaStrikeII

AlphaStrikeII IncGamers Member

Nice setup!
    My FO/FW sorc's merc uses a Tomb Reaver too, but only 1 socket, I put a amn rune in there as I needed the leech and as you say it does the job. Acording to an attack speed calc I found this should give 6,5 frame attack speed(56 ias), 6 frame attack speed is at 92 acording to this calc so it might be worth it to put in 2x shael or a shael and a 15 ias, but a 15 ias with good secound mod is so darn expensive that you might be better of with ist.

3xamn might be nice to, but my merc with amn in weapon, TR helmet and Duriels Shell can usually tank a full Lister group, so it might be overkill

Ps: I've no idea if 6,5 frame is an actual ingame speed or not, but the calc seemed to work when I used it to compute ias needed for Bonhew

6. twighlight

twighlight IncGamers Member

i would put amn shael shael and then later when you get better jewels/runes to put in it use the unsocket recipe

7. royalesse

royalesse IncGamers Member

Amn, Shael, Shael is the way to go if you can't afford a hel now. Obscenely rich people opt for Ber's, Lo's, Ohm's, and Ist's. I personally always preferred Guillame's Face and RattleCage on my merc for the Crushing blow. If you go that route Amn, Shael, Shael should do you well.

My Crushing Blow Merc has a Reaper's Toll and he goes through baddies like no tomorrow. I plan to make an enchantress and move the gear over there (currently it's on a Frostdin's merc).

8. we3dling

we3dling IncGamers Member

If it is for merc... and for MF do like I... 3 ist in a almost pf tomb reaver!

It has 49 res, 78 mf, 3 socks and 260% ... it gives u almost 170 mf for merc kills... very nice i think=)

If just for killing, go with ohm ohm jah, pf gaze and pf levi, he WILL live!

9. Stormcryer

Stormcryer IncGamers Member

If you're gonna go rich try Mal, Ber, Cham
    Prevernt Monster Healing, 20% Crushing Blow, and Freeze Target

With the bonuses that the Tomb has these three would greatly increase the effectiveness of the merc's hitting power. The prevent monster heal would be one of the base stats that I would be looking for - very effective against the uber unques and act bosses.

Perhaps a Mal, Shael, Amn combo to prevent heal, increase speed and life leech.

Just two of the combos I moght consier if I get a 3 socket tomb.

Cheers!

Storm

10. we3dling

we3dling IncGamers Member

Storm? Ur right! But what about using tomb reaver for MF on ur merc... It's the highest damaging MF weapon, so it's actually realistic having ur merc kill meph or baal...

Or what would u guys use for merc mf weapon?

11. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

Cool, this one I have been looking for a long time. I've found various IAS calculators, but never one for mercs. Thanks.

12. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

Amn-Shael-Shael is generally the best IAS wise and Leech wise. However there are some things that can make you decide to not do this.

2x Shael in a Tomb Reaver gives you a 7 FPS attack on your merc. This means he'll be attacking faster then you can teleport with 63% FCR (=9 FPS) or even with 105% FCR (=8 FPS). So whenever you teleport into a mob you can be certain your merc will get a shot at a monster. This is not nice when it happens to kill a Doll. The CE can stunn you enough for the other Dolls to take a swing at you ---> RIP

But on the other hand, a 7 FPS attack will make your merc leech all the more, so more then 1 Amn is generally overkill. The increase in IAS is much sweeter then the increased Leech.

13. ZonnyWonny

ZonnyWonny IncGamers Member

Please dont put a mal in it, PMH doesnt work on mercs from every resource i have ever seen

14. Stormcryer

Really....No PMH from mercs?????

If that's the case then of course don't waste the mal, but I've never heard of a restriction on PMH on mercs.

Anyone else heard this or can point to a merc guide that dtails this?

Not that I doubt you Zonny, just looking for more info so I don't inadvertantely cause someone else problems due to my ignorance. I was just going by the rune's effect in a weap but hadn't taken the merc aspect into account.

Thanks.

Storm

15. wind

wind IncGamers Member

Having killed the Diablo clone twice with my barb and merc, I definitely noticed a big difference in his health bar. He started to heal once the merc got toasted. Considering all the merc was using was a normal Woestave and it's useless damage in hell, the only difference that made sense is the PMH on him.

It also was a big enough difference that it was more convenient to go back to town and resurrect him.

16. Stormcryer

ASked this question os some other forums, and no one was able to verify that PMH was disabled for a merc. the question still lives.... can a merc with an item that hs PMH make use fo the PMH attribute?

17. qhc

qhc IncGamers Member

2 months ago I tried Arioc's Needle on merc when fighting DC, the PMH didn't work. I went back town and put BlackHorn on my barb then DC stopped healing. That's the only test I did, seems PMH not working on merc.

18. [FLS]prozerran

[FLS]prozerran IncGamers Member

seems like ur merc just ain't hitting dc :(

19. Mr.E

Mr.E IncGamers Member

Socketed my RT with Mal from my Pally's Hellforge Drop a couple months back. Pissed me off when I noticed mere normal monsters naturally regenerating, waste of a valuable Rune... X(

I come to support the lack of PMH working for Mercs. =[

20. spencert

spencert IncGamers Member

How did u get 7 frames per attack? Did u include the 60% ias that is available in the tomb reaver... it should be 6 fpa if u add 2 x shael rite?