Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What to socket my mercs gear with

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Afro AmeriZON, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Afro AmeriZON

Afro AmeriZON IncGamers Member

What to socket my mercs gear with

Act2 defiance merc with an "ok" setup for what I could afford. He is level 47. He wears gris armor now. He will be using bonehew and tals helm once I level him up a bit. Should I go amns or will tals be good enough for the leech? Go shaels for faster attack speed to get the faster leech? What should I throw in the armor. I can't really afford ED jewels and such so I need suggestions for an economy setup for his ghetto arse. Thanks in advance!

2. Stimm

Stimm IncGamers Member

Well you can go several routes with what you have. SHAEL SHAEL will put merc at next break point which usually overcomes low LL. For Griz armor you can put in P Rubies for more life or P Topazes for a lil mf boost. You could also AMN AMN the axe and 3 x 15 ias the armor for the same effect or any combination of the 2. There is a chart that shows the IAS req for act2 mercs might want to consult that.

3. minion

minion IncGamers Member

I have one bonehew with shael shael and another with amn shael (ias from armor) both works fine.

4. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

the 20 strenght will Help, but he wont be equping it until the 80-85 area due to its strenght req.

Mine is 84 and i had to -req it as he was 10 Strenght Short and he is a NM Might Merc. Mine kills well enuff I put topaz in his Black Hades, the punk was killing bosses before I could so i gave him the MF.......last night I switch him to a tomb Reaver for even more, hell he has more than me now!

Tals is plenty leech if you get his speed up.

5. Afro AmeriZON

80-85 huh. I better mule that bonehew then because my chars tend to like dying around high 70's. Maybe amn/shael the bonehew then 2 -15 req jewels and +15 ias in the armor? Eh, I'll try it out if it doesn't worlk out, it's not like gris's armor is hard to come by. Actually does -15 req jewel effect just the item it is socketed in? I've been playing this game a long time...you'dd think I should know this by now. haha. :scratch:

6. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

yes [... 10 chars]

7. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

Put three perfect amethysts in that Griz armor and he'll be able to use that bonehew just as soon as he meets the clvl req, and you won't have to waste a socket with a Hel rune (big mistake IMO).

Definitely go shael-shael in the bonehew. Tals gives plenty of leech when he's hitting that fast. He also gets stunned a LOT less when he's hitting that fast.

Double shael bonehew, Tals mask, Griz armor with 3 perf amethysts is my absolute favorite "easily available" setup for a level 64 Act 2 merc. The only thing that's better is if you can afford to give him a high leech crown of thieves or even a 8% LL gaze. But Tals mask works great.

Amn-Shael in a bonehew is a waste, because just one shael doesn't make an extra frame over no extra IAS in it at all. Ogre Axe hits 7 frames with 20% IAS, 6 frames with 65% IAS. Bonehew gives 30%, so just another 20% is wasted. [Edit: Amn-Shael is only a waste if you don't get IAS from another source such as the armor - as was pointed out - I missed that detail in a previous post first time I read this thread.]

8. ZappaFan

I would add that the reason I like to double shael the bonehew is because then it's making the 7 frame breakpoint without relying on additional IAS from either the armor or helm. That makes the rest of his gear more flexible. Once he levels up enough you can switch out the griz armor for something better. Myself I switched Griz for a Lionheart for the extra resists and stats. You can do that when he's in the high 70's since Lionheart gives 25 to str.

9. masakerr

masakerr IncGamers Member

I always find reading in the forums to be educational. I have a question I'd like to add. I also have a bone hew and was wondering if placing a Rainbow Facet Jewel in one of the cokets would be a "good" thing or not. It's one of the jewels that has a 100% chance of casting something terrible upon death. Since the Merc occasionally dies, I thought this could be entertaining and definitely let me know when he's no longer with me. No more of that "Where the hell did go" routine.

If I did that, what would be a good second choice? I guess a shael would be out (lol)

Masa

10. ZappaFan

I've wondered if those "on death" jewels work on a merc's death or not. I'll be real interested to hear from somebody that knows for sure. Shael would only be a bad choice for the second socket if you don't have IAS anywhere else. With bonehew you either want zero additional IAS or 35%, so if you do go shael in the other socket you need to put an IAS jewel in either the helm or the armor.

11. masakerr

masakerr IncGamers Member

I woud HOPE they work on a Merc otherwise it's "disposable" item in hardcore! One time use only! So if someone knows for sure, yes pray tell!

Masa

12. Afro AmeriZON

Ok zappa I took the advice. But it only took 2 P amethysts. My mercs strength is now at 199. He has the Bonehew equipped with 2 shaels, tals helm and gris's armor w/ one open socket left. What should I put in this last socket? keeping in mind I will probably trade it out later on (if I don't see the deeds screen to soon.)

13. ZappaFan

Personally I would probably put a perfect ruby in the open socket.

14. YogiRat

YogiRat IncGamers Member

I've searched the Stat and Strat forums looking for an answer with no luck. Does anyone know?

15. xeyloderixed

xeyloderixed IncGamers Member

i dont think its worth a (insert any rune or gem here, including el)

its such a waste to socket that griz armor with anything but amethysts. its not a late game armor for any class, or for any merc. dont bother with the last socket; chances are when you get going with your mf you wont even bother picking up those darn things (griz armors)

16. Nexexplo

Nexexplo IncGamers Member

I would switch the Tals helm for Guillaume's Face and socket the Bonehew with amns. Chrushing blow rocks on act 2 mercs and he also get some other nice things like FHR and deadly strike.

17. YogiRat

YogiRat IncGamers Member

I should have been more clear with my post. I wanted to know if a death facet would go off if it was on a merc when the merc died.

18. tomatoman

tomatoman IncGamers Member

i am about 90% sure it does NOT work with merc death. because i was one of those people thinking up a suicide merc when they released 1.10 beta. gogo 4 facet goth plate 6 facet pike 3 socket mask merc just at the level of jewel req!
    but still, im not 1000 percent positive it doesnt work. but im pretty sure about it.

19. shertown

shertown IncGamers Member

I like to shael shael and pick up some dmg jewels in my griz armor, with the huge strength bonus you can add several hundred damage points and you have plenty of leech with tals.

20. YogiRat

YogiRat IncGamers Member

Rats! I figured they wouldn't stack or we would have heard about it. Heck, I'd make an sc char just for the show if it did :lol: But one little lvl31 meteor shower when/if the merc dies would be neat. It might cover your retreat pretty well too ;)