Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What to socket in eth. bonehew?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by juicyfish, Feb 10, 2005.

1. juicyfish

juicyfish IncGamers Member

What to socket in eth. bonehew?

I just found this and thought it would make a great weapon for my act2 merc.
    what two things shall i socket in it? this is from the weapon speed calculator:

Character Mercenary - Act 2
    Weapon Ogre Axe
    Skill Jab
    IAS Frames per attack Attacks per second
    0 % 8 3.1
    9 % 7.5 3.3
    20 % 7 3.5
    37 % 6.5 3.8
    65 % 6 4.1
    105 % 5.5 4.5

bonehews come with 30% ias anyway, shall i put one shael to get past 37% then another rune, or two shaels to get past the 65% breakpoint?

and if just one shael, what else shall i put in? amn for life steal? ohm for 50% enhanced damage? gul for 20% bonus to ar? jah for ignore target defense?
    someone please advise

2. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

I don't know for sure what to socket it with, but I hear most people believe that life leech is good for a merc (Amn runes, as you said), so I would probably recommend at least one source of leech.

3. Ravisher

Ravisher IncGamers Member

Amn Amn is fairly normal, mercs like a lot of leech.

4. Sharaz

Sharaz IncGamers Member

ive nevr had an eth bonehew, but i have a merc with an amnamn bonehew, and he has no trouble at all (tho, i also put a helm and armor on them as well with LL).

5. Pocky

Pocky IncGamers Member

I did a shael shael and he hits fast as shit, then his crown of theives keeps him alive with the leech

6. vdzele

vdzele IncGamers Member

Ogre axe has a strength req of 195. That’s a lot. Act 2 merc will get that much strength at level **. See merc stats here. I advice these two items

-15% req / enhanced damage or res all (with -15% strength req will be 165) jewel
    Shael so he can reach 6 frames per attack or 4.1 attacks per second

Since you have an eth Bonehew (high damage weapon) having a vampiregaze (socketed with 15% IAS jewel) with 8% LL is more then enough in my experience even in hell where leech penalty is 1/3. Not to mention physical reduction that gaze offers.

7. Runesi

Runesi IncGamers Member

No. If you have an eth bonehew it's minus 10 str. My lv 86 (or 87) merc is wearing it without any hel runes or - requirement jewels in it. I'm either going with dual amn or dual shael (Not sure yet). From reading so far I'm probably gonna go with dual amn. Plus I'm wearing an eth crown of thieves with 10 ll (=/). The best I think, is a 12 ll crown of thieves and dual shael eth bonehew.

8. PatBateman

PatBateman IncGamers Member

Re: What to socket in eth. bonehew?

Blimey, this post is 6 years old! But I am having the same dilema. Through failure to find a more recent thread I will post here...

So to hit the 65% breakpoint (am I right in thinking 105% is tough to reach as Shael, Shael in the weapon and 15% ias jewel x2 (in helm and armour) totals 100% (30+20+20+15+15), falling 5 short?) you could get away with 1 shael and 1 amn in the weapon and 1 ias jewel in a helm - Andys, 'Gaze etc? With extra leech in the helm this might tick all the boxes?
    That is supposing of course the armour and helm have no intrinsic IAS.

Is there a more worthy candidate than the amn for the 2nd socket? For instance a ber (20% CB) in conjuction perhaps with stacked crushing blow modifiers from either the armour or helm?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

PatBateman

9. kyluth

kyluth IncGamers Member

Wow I didn't see that this was so old. Who necro'd it? Damn you!

To the above post a ber would be really good for crushing blow BUT bers are expensive, are you really willing to spend a ber on it? I'd probably just put life leech or IAS in it. WAY cheaper and still effective. Yet the ber would technically be better.

10. mackscynox

mackscynox IncGamers Member

hehe nice necromancy here:)

i dont know what are the stats on bonehew when it was 2005 but if same mods then 2Amn or UmAmn is best. actually it depends on how you will use your char. i like bonehew because it doesnot have any cold dmg, have 2sock and IAS and good dmg. so it is nice for goldfind barb's merc (ex: i will use eth-upped g.angel sock:mal and kiras sock:mal, and 2Amn or UmAmn eth bonehew) for travincal.

11. magicrectangle

magicrectangle IncGamers Member

Andy's has 20% ias though. 2xshael + andy + 15% jewel = 105% IAS, without even touching your armor slot.

If you can afford the ber, don't use bonehew at all. Depending on your character's class and build if you want crushing something like infinity, obedience, or even an up'd eth hone sundan will be a better choice, and not a huge waste of high runes. If you up eth hone sundan you'll be married to crown of thieves for the dex until level 87 (or level 94 if it's not ethereal).

12. Xarr

Xarr IncGamers Member

On my cold sorc I have Amn and Shael in my Bonehew, with Duriel's shell and G's Face. I've been pretty unlucky since my recent return to D2 on drops. There's other options, the Loot gods have however not been kind to me. xD

13. PatBateman

PatBateman IncGamers Member

Thanks for the tips, guys!

Mack - perfect, I have just made a Gold Find Barb and I happen to have an eth Guardian Angel so will go with the 90% resist build and run troublesome Travi :D

14. deane

deane IncGamers Member

Im using Eth Bonehew atm with my Hammerdin. Peaking 12k attack damage with Fortitude armour and andariels visage.

His only issue is the Fire damage from infector of souls in act 4.

Sorry off topic there.

I was considering 2 Ohm runes for the 100% ED. However now im looking at the amn amn or shael amn.