Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What to put into hoz

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by OmegaHatred, Dec 19, 2006.

1. OmegaHatred

OmegaHatred Diabloii.Net Member

What to put into hoz

I have a hamemrdin with full res in hell and was wondering what to put into my hoz...um or ist?

2. Astralbeing

Astralbeing Diabloii.Net Member

Why um it with max resists already? I'd use ist for mf, pul for def, ber for dr%, or jah for life, depending on which you need most.

3. redtan

redtan Diabloii.Net Member

If your pvp (since you didnt mention if u pvm or pvp) then um all the way as stacked resists are a must.

For pvm I guess the best thing is a jah for more life.

4. Astralbeing

I'm assuming pvm since no one would ist a hoz for pvp

5. SSoG

SSoG Diabloii.Net Member

Wow. Just wow. You know dupes are really getting out of hand when people are recommending that you socket a Jah in the shield for the +50 life bonus.

I mean, really? Really really? You don't have anything better to do with that Jah than add 50 life? Or did you just have 50 or so spare Jahs lying around, and you figured you'd never miss one? Even advising someone to burn an Um in a shield is pretty ridiculous, since PDiamonds are several hundred thousand times cheaper, and give only 3% less resist-all.

Seriously, telling someone to socket a Jah is HORRIBLE advice. Simply terrible. Even if you have fiftybajillion high runes to burn, why on earth would you bother socketing with a Jah when you could use a Cham instead and then replace your Ravenfrost ring with a Bul-Kathos, which gives you almost 50 life *and* +1 skill? Cham'd shield + Bul-Kathos would pwn Jah'd shield + Ravenfrost. Or, if you'd rather not use Bul-Kathos, you could replace that Ravenfrost with a 40 life/10% FCR ring and still come out ahead, especially if you had some other nice mods on the ring, to boot. And even if you aren't wearing a Ravenfrost and don't care about CBF, you'd think a Ber, Lo, or Vex would all outshine a Jah there, too.

6. herbboy

herbboy Diabloii.Net Member

agreed, jah are better used in runewords. if pvm then go with ber for dr, ifi assme you have normal setup then you could use the dr. But i still reccomend not putting high runes in there trade them or make runewords.

7. kavehtabriaz

kavehtabriaz Diabloii.Net Member

if u wana go pvp ber for damage reductuon or zod if its eth
    pvm people said um,ist or nice jewel .
    I would not put pul .if u decide to sell people will ask u to hell it since enhances def and might alter the price.

8. Astralbeing

I don't see a problem with jah'ing it. You only need a cham in one item, who's to say his helm isn't cham'ed. There are tons of scenarios with this, he could have max resists, max dr%, cbf already, I was simply throwing out some options. I don't know his budget but jah gives more life than io, but could easily be swapped out if needed. Obviously dupes are out of hand, most people wouldn't even miss a jah. It's just like extra inventory space. You get out of it whatever you need most.

9. spawndawn

spawndawn Banned

i'm using Shael in my HoZ, i'm very happy too! i've not too much defense (2669DR without Holy Shield) and it gives me a very good blocking plus with HoZs %75 block rate, also i saw some advantages using it with shael against ranged attacks. i don't get hit by rangers as much as before using shael...
    i hope i could explain (sorry for bad english)

10. bogie

bogie Diabloii.Net Member

Shael doesnt add to defense...or blocking....so theres no way its actually stopping attacks from hitting you, but it could help you survive better by giving the 20 fhr (or is it fbr in shields?) which can let recover from attacks quicker.

Anyway, Im voting for putting a ber in the hoz, hoz is sadly lacking in dr%, and theres not many other places to get a good dr% in a hammerdin, you get 10dr% from shako, 8% from ber, and 8% from a ber in hoz, giving you 26% dr, socket that shako with a ber to get a total of 34%dr :D

11. spawndawn

spawndawn Banned

pul adds %30 defense and shael adds %20 faster block rate (in armors/helms adds %20 faster hit recovery).

that's was my choice, i've full 85/75/75/75 resistances that's why i did't chose to add um, HoZ has a good defense no need for extra %31 defense, +50 life doesn't worth wating of a expensive rune...that was my choice.

also, i'm using it with shael and experiencing +%20FBR works very well especially against ranged attacks

ber or cham can be other good choices i think

12. spawndawn

spawndawn Banned

i thought again...ber or shael are the best choices, adding cham to a helm is better if u switch between your weapons, u will always be CBF

13. D2Freak91776

D2Freak91776 Diabloii.Net Member

IMO Shael is practically useless in a Hoz unless you don't use holy shield. With holy shield your block recovery is already at 2 frames. An additional 86 FBR will bump that to 1 frame. An extra 20% to the 30% on Hoz makes it 50%. That doesn't reach the last frame and I'm pretty sure you cant get 36% more FBR from other items.

Back on topic, I would personally put in an Um or Ber.

14. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj Diabloii.Net Member

Holy Shield increases your block speed to 2 frames. You need 86% FBR to reach a 1 frame block rate. Shael only gives 20%, HoZ has 30% on it already. That's 50%, and you need 86%.

Shael does NOTHING for you. Unsocket it, it's a waste of space. Shael is the worst choice to socket in a HoZ. Pul is also a bad choice, it only gives a very small defense boost, and there are better things to socket as well.

Oh, and the scaling Life on a BK ring doesn't benefit from life boosting skills like Battle Orders and Oak Sage. It'll remain at a constant 40-45 bonus. Jah's 50 life can easily turn into a bonus of 100-150 life or more after BO, Oak.

15. Demonic Angel Rules

Demonic Angel Rules Diabloii.Net Member

Ok before this gets out of hand ill list a bunch of choices then you can look and pick out the best one for you....btw everything I got is from Arreat Summit:

Fal +10 str (this is good if you trying to go with base str)

Um +22 res (well it helps with res...but use P Diamond. It is 3% less bigdeal)

Ist +25% MF (and you can never had enough of that now can ya)

Gul/Vex/Ohm/Lo + to Maximumres(always helpful)

Ber +8% DR (thats what I would use but if you got over 30% dont bother)

Cham CBF (frees up a ring spot so you can use a BK or SOJ or something...)

Zod Indestructible (only if Erth)

Any gem if you need a boost in the res. Like say you need more light res use a P topaz. Its 40% and thats a huge boost from just one single soc.

If you find some nice Jewles. Dont got a exmple but keep a look out for one.

And thats about it. But If I would have to pick I would say Ber rune for the extra %Dr since I only got ~25%

16. bogie

bogie Diabloii.Net Member

IMHO, fal is kinda a waste, as with 99% of hdin builds, an up'ed hoz is the largest strength req they have, so adding the +10 does NOTHING for you, the only three options I see is ber for dr%, jah for bo'able life, and cham to grab 45 life from a bk ALONG with the +1 skill.

17. spawndawn

spawndawn Banned

%30 from HoZ + %20 from Shael= %50 FBR

i use Guardian Angel elite version, it has %30 FBR...

%80 FBR still needs %6, i've 1 point in Holy Shield...i think i've completed ritual :)

thanx for %86 info :)

18. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla Diabloii.Net Member

You could ditch a Ravenfrost, Cham the HoZ, and get a BK or SoJ. A Ber would also be a good choice.

19. OmegaHatred

OmegaHatred Diabloii.Net Member

re:

so from what people are saying i should either ber or cham it. now keep in mind my hammerdin is mainly gonna be for mfing and rushing, in that order. now will i really need dr? i also have no problem using a raven frost cause i'm doing 17k :grin:

20. SSoG

SSoG Diabloii.Net Member

Holy Shield doesn't add any FBR, it just changes the FBR breakpoints. In other words, if you have Holy Shield active, you will have a 2-frame block. If you manage to get 86% FBR on top of that, you will hit a 1-frame block.

You don't have 86% FBR, you have 80% FBR... so running around with a Shael'd HoZ will make absolutely no difference vs. running around with an unsocketed HoZ. You don't hit the breakpoint, even with GA.