What to play?

ThomasJohnsen

Diabloii.Net Member
So I decided to try out a new game with a friend of mine. I haven't really played any games for a long time, and have zero knowledge on where you get them, which are fun/mp-able/cheap and which will suit two old geezers with slow hands and even slower minds.

Games we have played a lot in the past include:
* Civilization - especially I and III (anything newer than IV never caught our interest).
* Diablo II (have completed this multiple times with a range of characters - probably out as an option).
* Heroes of Might and Magic II (made many maps and played mainly our own games).

Going back a bit further, we really really enjoyed:
* Phantom of the Asteroids (1985 on c64 - took us weeks of drawing map to complete)
* Eye of the Beholder (1990 on Amiga)
* Pushover (1992 on Amiga)

As you can probably tell, graphics and sound have zero priority; we are all about gameplay. Had we not already played DII so much, that would be the perfect option, but alas - maybe it's time to try something new(ish).

If you have a good idea, I'd really like to hear from you, since I have great difficulty finding games on my own - I haven't been paying any attention for many years, and there is so much to choose from. It will have to be a game, we can play together over the internet. Preferably not against other people and on a reasonable difficulty level (again DII is perfect there, but...).
Can be puzzle or action, building or collecting, AD&D-esque or nothing like it. Just as long as it's fun and relatively cheap.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Asking here ofc, because you guys are great and share my taste in games.

Thomas

BKC

Diabloii.Net Member
I like TESO at the moment and Warhammer 40k infinity crusade... the latter one is a 40k clone of diablo :) PoE also pops in my mind as nice goto :)

ThomasJohnsen

Diabloii.Net Member
I like TESO at the moment and Warhammer 40k infinity crusade... the latter one is a 40k clone of diablo :) PoE also pops in my mind as nice goto :)
I checked TESO and Warhammer 40k out on youtube. Both definitely look interesting - are there options for playing 2 people simultaneously and working together? Either way thanks for the suggestions - will talk them over with my friend.
I tried PoE some years ago briefly - it seemed a bit slow and repetitive for my taste, and I abandoned it after maybe 2 hours of play. Has it improved much, or is it still pretty much the same?

As far as I can see you did not hit 99 with an untwinked character, how about doing that? :)
I have had a 98 HC online once that died. SC highest is 97, I think. But getting a 99 is something I'd do on my own - not with a friend. If we choose DII, it'll just be normal to hell SC with two random(ish) characters and limited rerunning; just fun and a little bit of challenge. But we've done that like 5 times already, and I'm not sure I can convince him to try another go :)

logoutzero

Diabloii.Net Member
Icewind Dale has IP coop, and is of the same gameplay as Baldur's Gate era CRPG. 2E rules IIRC. Neverwinter Nights is 3.5E (I think) and has coop and world builder, I always wanted to take it for a spin but never had enough PC for it.

ThomasJohnsen

Diabloii.Net Member
There's Heroes of might and magic 3. :)
Just checked the wiki out on that - sounds amazing. We would have to play against each other from what I can gather, but it's certainly a good option to keep in mind. Would love something exactly like that, where we can co-op.

Icewind Dale has IP coop, and is of the same gameplay as Baldur's Gate era CRPG. 2E rules IIRC. Neverwinter Nights is 3.5E (I think) and has coop and world builder, I always wanted to take it for a spin but never had enough PC for it.
Man those are exactly the kind of ideas, we need. I remember seeing both Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights years ago, but sadly, I never really got to try them out. Will most definitely check all of them out and talk it over with my friend.

------

In order to not clutter up the forum (and my head), I think maybe that's enough ideas to get us started [unless someone has a really nice idea, they think is right up our alley].

Thank you very much everyone. This forum is great and the members are greater. I keep logging in every day, even though I haven't touched DII in months. Just to see people progress in tourneys and the most recent finds. Wouldn't be the same without it.

Kitteh

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Path of Exile definitely, although I think that it is worth it more if you have a newer computer.

Brak

Diabloii.Net Member
What about going back to Diablo?

I find a game of Iron man with friend(s) to be a lot of fun
if you play with cave ins (fuzzy on terminology nowadays) where can't go up to previous levels, this keeps it from being too tedious should you find a Blood Fountain on level two or something like that

Last edited:

DiabloTwoinDC

Diabloii.Net Member
If you like the Civilization series, I've always preferred Civ IV + Beyond the Sword. It introduced a lot of cool new features.

ThomasJohnsen

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm sorry, but I don't currently have time to respond to each member.
Will certainly look over all the suggestions and talk them over with my friend.

Thank you all - you guys are the best!

BKC

Diabloii.Net Member
Warhammer has a co-op modus, i play it together with my brother its the 40k version of diablo 3 :)

TESO is a MMORPG so definitely a co-op modus (got a guild for you ready and all!) I dont want to drag you guys into an MMORPG but its massive fun :) (and free to play if that is a worry), i pay the monthly fee simply to make my life in TESO easier but you dont have to if you really dont want to.

On that event... how about diablo 3? Also has CO-OP has no bots (to my knowledge) and is still a massive challenge

RIP

Diabloii.Net Member
What about Starcraft/SC2? The remaster of original is available now, but SC2 is some great fun as well
Ï had same idea in my mind...I remember playing Broodwar with my friend, duels or as a team against multiple oponents, great fun ;)

zoo

Diabloii.Net Member
I used to play Alien vs Predator co-op with a friend of mine back when it came out. FPS in pitch black setting being run down by aliens, it's the only proper scary game I have ever played. Beep... beep... beep beep beep beeeeeeeep...

Maltatai

Diabloii.Net Member
Man those are exactly the kind of ideas, we need. I remember seeing both Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights years ago, but sadly, I never really got to try them out. Will most definitely check all of them out and talk it over with my friend.
All hail Baldurs Gate II! Neverwinter nights was not a bad game in itself but it was sadly never close to the 3D successor that it was hyped up and expected to be...

Just checked the wiki out on that - sounds amazing. We would have to play against each other from what I can gather, but it's certainly a good option to keep in mind. Would love something exactly like that, where we can co-op.
You can use the wonderfully simple (in my opinion...) map editor to set up cooperative gameplay on pretty much every map (literally every map but sometimes it would ruin the scenario characteristics). You can then cooperate in the campaign but not in the battles, pretty much like two kings whose nations are allied but keep one anothers armies at arms length. Lovely game, so cute and encouraging with all the treasure and discovery sounds.

Medieval II Total War: Kingdoms can be paused whenever you want and it has an absolutely insane priceworthiness due to the vast modding community, you get something like two dozen total conversion expansion sets in one buy... You can play hotseat campaigns in that game by sending one another saved games. Read more on Total War Centre if you are interested, it's the best place to get information about the game (and a great deal of other things too).

Last edited:

ThomasJohnsen

Diabloii.Net Member
I have been watching play-through videos of suggested games and studied them on wiki. Most, if not all, seem like games, we would really enjoy playing. I'm leaning more towards explore/fight/solve type games like Baldur's Gate, AVP [really need to get accustomed to crawling on walls and ceiling], Warhammer, DIII and similar over strategy like Civ, Starcraft etc. since we will most likely only be playing 2-4 times a week in evening sessions after work, and I feel like we need a game, we can jump right into. I would also categorize Homm3 as strategy of sorts, but it seems much less complicated and given I have created many maps in Homm2, editing a map in Homm3 shouldn't be too difficult either, so that game is definitely a consideration.
I haven't yet had a chance to thoroughly discuss it with my friend, so no decisions yet. We may just buy 3 or 4 of the games and find out which we like the best (thankfully the suggestions you have given seem to be rather affordable).

Thank you all for your suggestions and for taking the time to help me out. I really do appreciate it.