Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

what to max? (Skellimancer)

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Dirkjan, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Dirkjan

Dirkjan IncGamers Member

what to max? (Skellimancer)

Hmm...

So I made a skellimancer, and didnt touched bone spells, poinson spells or wasted spells in mages and revives.

I got a clay golem, decripefy, max warriors and mastery (both level 27) and sometimes I walk with 4 mages and some revives just to take the hits, but most of the time I am able to walk here and there without too much trouble. I can do nightmare and hell act1 solo. But in act 2 I get into problems with the small areas like the maggot lair and arcane sanctiary. I put 1 spell into attract just for those 2, and now that I am gaining levels I dont know what to do next.

I am thinking of maxing poison nova or bone spells for some extra damage where my skelets wont do enough (arcane, maggot lair, bosses..) Is this a good idea? What should I max then? I dont really want to max corpse explosion as I think thats kinda boring and I got time, I dont mind that my skelets take hours to kill something so I rather max nova or bone spells but because I am walking with +2 summoning items they wont be better than level 20. Am I wasting spells if I make them 20 or are they enough for the regeneration when they are level 20?

What should I do? Max my golem? amplify damage? or a bone or nova spell?

2. Tengu

Tengu IncGamers Member

There are indeed certain areas in act 2 where a skelemancer can face
    serious problems, specifically the maggot lair and arcane sanctuary.
    IMO one of the best solutions for these areas is to use a strong merc + ce.
    The merc gets the first body, then you blast the enemies to smithereens.

If you don't want to use ce, there are of course other ways to get through
    act2. If you fancy bone spells, you could get yourself ~1100 dmg bone spear
    or ~1600 dmg bone spirit by maxing spear / spirit and bonewall and wearing
    marrowwalks. Spirit is more effective vs. bosses, but spear might be more ideal
    for the maggot lair and the arcane sanctuary.

I would not suggest using poison nova, because of the fact that it just doesn't work in the maggot lair. It's great in the arcane sanctuary, but
    that's only 50% of your problem, if im correct. With my venomancer i use in
    maggot a combo of AI curses, my merc and poison explosion to kill
    the enemies, but its kinda time consuming, even with maxed synergies.

Personally, i would go the bone spear route. It's great
    vs. big bodies of enemies, and it can be used against bosses
    too. But it's really your choice :thumbsup:

3. Dirkjan

Dirkjan IncGamers Member

It is actually becoming my MF char because I am walking with 2 nagelrings 30% and an amu with 33%. Doing pretty good found some interesting stuff already in nightmare.

4. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

I have no problem with PN in the Maggot Lair with my Venomancer and don't use my Skeletons in there. It might not become the whole screen because of those passages...but is still alot more effective than a Summoner any day.

HoS

5. Dausuul

Dausuul IncGamers Member

Definitely do not max golem or amp damage. Personally, I find CE to be a lot of fun as well as highly effective, but if you don't want to do that, there are other options.

Dim Vision: Wonderful for stopping ranged attackers and picking off enemies one at a time. This is the only curse I would ever consider raising above 5 natural points. Maxing this one will help you a lot in Hell A4-5.

Poison Nova: This is popular to shut down monster regen, although it won't do any significant damage unless you pump synergies and use poison-boosting gear. However, I feel that if you want to stop regen, you're better off with...

Skeleton Magi: Debate continues to rage as to the usefulness of these guys. I'm firmly on the side of using Magi. The extra firepower and "meat" (well, bone) shields are very handy, but the real benefits are the cold and poison magi. Cold magi keep everything slowed (they don't shatter stuff often enough to be a major problem), and poison magi stop monster regeneration for a VERY LONG TIME. We're talking minutes here, from a single shot of poison. I actually chewed away about half of the Diablo Clone's hit points by using poison from my magi to stop his regen while I raised and re-raised my warriors. In addition, the magi can help support you in situations when the warriors have trouble, such as the rare Physical Immune whose immunity isn't broken by Amp Damage.

1 point in all curses: Just for versatility, and fun. Curses are great to play around with.

Bone Spirit and/or Spear: Useful for raw direct damage, though they aren't really good unless you pump synergies a hell of a lot. Still, they can help you get that first corpse.

Also note that I wouldn't design your character for the specific purpose of getting past Act 2 Hell, unless you intend to play there regularly. Most Skelemancers claw their way through Act 2 once (or get rushed) and never go back.

6. Tinfoot

Tinfoot IncGamers Member

These are only my personal observations and what I will do different next time as a Golemancer (I lost my first post-1.10 HC Golemancer at a budding age of 42 due to sheer idiocy). Golemancers and Skellimancers play roughly on the same principal, although Golamancers have 2 meat shields to care for instead a small horde... play will differ, but not fundementally. So take it as you will and draw from it what you can.

I have distaste for Poison Nova now since I tried it as my now deceased Golemancer, and it required me to get closer than I normally would as one (I like to keep the "main target" on the utter edge of the screen). If you are one of this type of playing - don't do Poison Nova. You really do have to be closer to the front to use it effectively.

I enjoy Bone Spear... Bone Spirit is great (and the graphic/sound is total necro), but frankly it costs to much for a single target and distracts (for me) from my golem/merc's situation - time better spent casting decrep or such... HOWEVER: Bone spear is a great "spam" spell as you can shoot one off cheaply, especially if you want to test the waters and hit that little nutter up in the corner of the screen, and it hits everything in its path. Not a "godly" boomba weapon not maxed with synergies, but its multiple hits take a wee bit off... and any Hardcore player knows that even "a wee bit off" is truely a line of life/death. :p

I can't say much for the Bone Armour line, as I don't really use them to any degree... once again, I like to stay far away from the front line as possible, recast my golem (or skellies when I played a skellimancer) when needed, curse as wanted... so Armour/Wall/Prison is not really in my cache.

Corpse Explosion is a Killer through and through. Serious, it can wipe the bloody floor with a few clicks. However, it won't you much good in many areas due to spacing (especially bosses who have a irratating tendency not to be around corpses), and since I personally prefer to be flexible, I keep it a 3 and let other points fall into other spots.

All in all, out of Bone, I personally would go for Bone Spear.... not neccessairly maxed as I would also throw more in Dim Vision for increased radius (what an awsome spammer to prepare the next room!) if I don't have it skill+ upped for a comfortable radius- and as mentioned, Bone Spear/Spirit is not a primary killer if not synergized. But useful when you got the Boss decreped and you have 3 seconds to do something else before having to do decrep again (and 3 seconds is a loooooooong time ;) ).