Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

what to fill the last socket?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by DeathMaster, Apr 13, 2005.

1. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

what to fill the last socket?

My holy shock/freeze zealot just finished normal, only few level to my end game weapon - CM PB.

I have been thinking how to solve the AR problem lately. I already maxed zeal, and currently working on max res lit. My AR is good in NM, but will be really bad in hell. based on my exp, my final AR will be around 5k. I'm thinking to keep a 6 socket PB, just in case. I can socket it with 4x Eth, 1x Shael (cheap, but effective IMO). That will give me same speed as CM PB, and solve the AR problem if really need it. Now what to do with the empty socket?

One more shael won't take to next BP (I'm going max safety gears, so 20% IAS is all I need); ED% jewel is waste (and I'm short of it); facet is too expensive, plus only one facet won't help much.

I know Ber is ideal, but Ber doesn't grow on tree, neither in D2 ever rain Ber from sky.

2. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Um is a good idea if you can afford it...

I haven´t played a Zealot, but 5k Attack Rating doesn´t sound low to me. None of my characters have had that much, and the meleers could still hit reasonably well in the late game.

3. Zavior

Zavior IncGamers Member

Blessed Aim gives 5% passive ar bonus. Cant be bad investment.

4. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon IncGamers Member

You're probably better off just using the CM and solving your AR problems in some other way.

5. Reborn2k

Reborn2k IncGamers Member

If your weapon is a CM PB... don't worry about AR! It has ITD, that means that you will always hit if the difference between mlvl and clvl isn't too big (if you are higher lvl than the monster that's better eh, dunno how that works exactly). You can just use smite against bosses and you won't have AR problems! :thumbsup:

6. skunkbelly

skunkbelly IncGamers Member

Don't forget the power of charms :)

Another option would be an Argent Jewel with a nice second mod for that 6-socket PB. But I'd stick with Crescent Moon, as suggested, and fix your AR another way.

How many points do you currently have in Zeal? Extra points do give you an AR bonus... worth considering, if you're really having trouble.

7. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

Don't bother with it. CM has ITD, so normal monster aren't a problem. Get a blessed aim merc, and you'll have enough for boss. Even if you don't want a blessed aim merc, check your actual tohit ratio, it won't be that bad. In my experience the effectiveness of ar in pvm is lik a y^3 function, where y=0 is roughly 8k ar.

8. JihadJesus

JihadJesus IncGamers Member

I second this motion. If it's not a boss pack, Zeal away and the ITD will ensure a 95% to-hit. If it IS a boss pack or act boss, use Smite to apply that Lightning damage and CB, and get an automatic 95% to-hit. That's 95% to hit every monster in the game, right there. I'm not sure even 20k+ AR will get you that.

9. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

hmm, i'm pretty sure elemental damage is not transfered through smite.

10. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

AFAIK the reduced defence from ETHs is halved versus bosses. So it will be only 50%, not 100%. I have heard of 6ETH phase blades.

11. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

Hrus is correct. Against bosses and the ancients, most people are now going with 6XEth PBs because this gives a 75% reduction in enemy defense. Because of the way CTH scales with defense, I believe that getting rid of that last 25% can have a larger effect on your CTH a boss than the initial 50% reduction.

12. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

looks like I should go for 5x Eth, 1x Shael. I was thinking 50% should be enough + my 5K AR. ITD is the most overrated mod IMO. It is useless against boss/champ, that's where you need AR most.

My charms will be concentrated on resist first, and they are in short supply, so AR charms won't be too many (still few good ones).

oh, I'm going to use a might merc, extra hand is always usefull, and I don't want my build depend on merc on core abilities (AR, Def).

This build will not have any spare points, so blessed aim is not possible (won't go there).

13. Reborn2k

Reborn2k IncGamers Member

Sorry sorry sorry! I looked it up and it's true: Holy Shock doesn't work with smite, sorry!