Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What to do with a Stormsheild?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Blascid, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Blascid

Blascid IncGamers Member

What to do with a Stormsheild?

So I'm running the LK-

On run 3 and a Unquie Pavise drops, I thought, "Cool", and Stromsheild poped into my head, not that I really wanted to find one or anything, but just poped into my head. Ran the LK again, nothing. I figure I was going to watch TV in a little so I decided to run it until I found something good. Fifth run in-Ninth Chest - BOOM Unquie Monarch hits the groud!!! Weird it seems to not be nearly as rare/magical as I once thought, eh..whatever.

So my question is..What to do with it? I never thought I'd actual find one, so I never explored the possiblities..what are they? I want to make a good character -with it/around it- that's strong of course, so..what shall it be?

2. tulips

tulips IncGamers Member

I just found one off of hell meph.
    :D

I decided to make a LF zon with it, I wonder how thats going to work out.

3. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

Essentially, the SS is the best shield in the game for nearly every shield-using build. Therefore, you can make just about anything.

However, I would not recommend it for paladins, as HoZ > everything except eth elite Exile, unless you REALLY need the PDR.

So there you have it. Make anything. It is adaptable to the mighty Stormshield.

crg

4. galtzaiLe

galtzaiLe IncGamers Member

So do I :D
    I thinks is the best Shield for a FB sorc.

/edit: didn't see the CRG post :$

5. Blascid

Blascid IncGamers Member

Awesome, keep em coming, also..what's something good to socket into it?

6. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

Well, normally a SS is worn by melee based characters since the high blockrate and the %dr is great to keep that character alive. However it's also seen on casters as nubby said. (IMO there are alot more shields to concider on a caster, but SS is allways one to concider on a melee guy.)
    So picking your player won't be too hard, just make a build that uses a shield, doesn't require smiting and goes toe to toe with the opponents.
    About the socketing, Barbarians tend to have enough strength to reach that 156 which is needed. All non barbarian builds COULD (I'm not saying ''should'' since some build can reach that str easily) concider puting a hel or a -req (with nice extra mod) in it. You also have to remember you can put the shield on using the strength bug, but I highly recommend against it, if you die you have to switch around gear etc. and in PvM play 30 stats aren't going to make that much of a difference.
    If you have enough strength, you should also concider using a shael to improve your blocking speed. Normally you won't get in trouble with normal speed, but weredruids have horrible blocking speed so sometimes a shael is required.
    Next up are the resists, very often used. Find an Um, a perfect diamond or a nice 15% resist jewel with a 2nd mod and resists are good to go. SS itself offers nice cold and lightning resist, so you may not need to socket it with a ''resist all'' mod. So, also take a look at Ral, Ort, Tal and Thul. (Those are the ones right? I don't have a rune spreadsheet in front of me). One each of those will give upto 30% resist IIRC.
    If you have enough resists you could opt for other gear flaws. IAS is often used and a very nice mod since no shield will grant you IAS. Finding a jewel with %fhr is hard, but might be worthwile to reach that next breakpoint. A good rare jewel can have ED, stats, resists anything you could name. Allways pick up jewels.
    As a last resort you could grab an Eld and put it in there. IIRC eld gives another 8% blocking (if it doesn't, one of those lower runes do.. find the ones I'm talking about :p ) which will save you some stats to put in dexterity to get max block.

Remember the ''unsocketing'' cube formula and go from downwards up. If you socket it first with an Eld and you're not happy with it, unsocketing will cost you an Eld (no big loss) but if you put a 40ED/15IAS in it and you realise you don't need it.. well.. that's just cruel. (you could trade it but you got my point right?)

Good luck :)

7. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 IncGamers Member

Bunch of good candidates:

Hel for -req
    P Diamond/Um for resist all
    Eld for increased blocking (less dex -> more life)
    Shael for faster blocking (great for tankazons with their horrid blocking rate)
    15% resist all/-15% req jewel :rolleyes:

8. SimontheBulletFreak

SimontheBulletFreak IncGamers Member

All good suggestions above. On other possibility is if your char is specializing in a certain elemental attack is to use a facet jewel.

9. ArchAngel Tiberrius

ArchAngel Tiberrius Banned

As the others have stated a Stormshield is great for a non-Paladin.

While some disagree, I feel that maximum block is much better on Sorceress' than people think. Maximum blocks the amount of hits you take. Stormshield reduces the damage taken from these hits. Sorceress' gain a pitiful amount of life from points placed into Vitality.

Stormshield is also an excellent PvP shield as it supplies a large % of DR.

Perhaps socketing it with a -15% requirements and +15% All Resist Jewel could be good. If possible.

10. Lucky_Seven

Lucky_Seven IncGamers Member

Like others said it's the Shield to most of the Builds, paladins and necros have specific Class shiels, but all other classes can use it.

I've used Stormshields in some of my chars:

Enchantress (eld)
    LF Zon (PDiamond)
    WindDruid (PDiamond)
    Concentrate (PDiamond)

11. Kaptain_Insano

Kaptain_Insano IncGamers Member

As far as socketing goes I wouldn't hold my breath for a -15% req/15 resist all jewel :). For my blizzsorc I socketed mine with a -15%req/14 resist fire. So the shield gives the 3 major resistances and requires less strength. Good luck.

Cheers K

12. Muay Thai Warrior

Muay Thai Warrior IncGamers Member

I think you do a better use of your stormshield in a concentrate barbarian.
    Make him a tank, high defense, high damage reduced, life leech...

13. JihadJesus

JihadJesus IncGamers Member

Is that because of the pathetically low smite damage, or something else? I had thought it was the shield of choice for PvP smiters, but what do I know.

14. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

Actually I just found one, 15res all/-15. Along with my sweet perfect Ruby jewel of Fervor 30/15 (traded that one). I found a crazy rare with -15 req as one of the mods and some stats and maybe FHR, that was fine for a caster.

For melee, I'd go pdiamond (don't use an Um here, please don't, I'm begging you, say no to bnet).

The honest answer is to decide where to use it, as others have said and socket as need be. If you don't use anything valuable you can always change your mind and not feel bad about it.

15. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

Holy Shield adds to the base damage of the shield, and pally shields just have better damage.

Why not SS for a smiter? That's rather simple: SS has no +skills, whereas an HoZ has +4 to combat (which, when you think about it, +smite, +Holy Shield, +FoH, +charge), which really boosts damage. Why do you think V/T PvP'ers use 10 Combat skillers? For more damage, more defense and more life (less blocking needed).

crg

16. Kaptain_Insano

Kaptain_Insano IncGamers Member

Nice find Fafner :) As for jewels of fervor that is a nice fire one. I've been holding on to this one for some time:

Ambergris Jewel of Fervor
    Required Level: 31
    Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
    Item Level: 86
    Fingerprint: 0xd25178af
    Lightning Resist +30%
    15% Increased Attack Speed
    :)

Tuff decisions indeed

Cheers K