Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What to do next with my Fishymancer

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by HartleySan, Sep 23, 2010.

1. HartleySan

HartleySan IncGamers Member

What to do next with my Fishymancer

I've got a Fishymancer who just hit level 63. I also just killed Mephisto on Nightmare for the first time. I also just maxed out Corpse Explosion. Of course, both Raise Skeleton and Skeleton Mastery are also maxed out. I have put one point into the main curses as well. Also, I have +5 total for my summoning skills, so I have 6 points in both Clay Golem and Golem Mastery.

My question is, from here on out, what should I do with my skill points? I was thinking that either Clay Golem or Golem Mastery would be wise. With that said, is one better than the other? Should I ignore the golem skills and go with something completely different instead? What do you all recommend?

Thank you.

2. tavaritz

tavaritz Banned

Re: What to do next with my Fishymancer

Plant them in Akara's garden.

In HC I might put one point in Bone Armor and then up its synergies. Some like Dim Vision other Iron Golem. You might want to get the golems anyway and revives are not bad.

3. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

I've always been fond of planting them and growing a skill tree \o/

Other than that, in the very long run, maxing Fire Golem to synergise Iron Golem's damage is likely the best idea. (mind you, this assumes you will do some MFing which will produce some good weapons to use for IGs as a side effect. Or you could boost Golem Mastery to boost IGs life. Also good.

In my opinion anything else is sort of unneeded. I probably outlined this in great detail in the guide but it's been ages since I wrote it. And possibly I hadn't played my incredibly good Iron Golemmancer at that point yet, so I didn't quite know how useful those can be.

4. HartleySan

What do you guys mean by "plant them"? Sorry, but it's either some joke I missed or I'm not up to speed on the lingo.

Anyway, Nightfish, you are recommending that I put one point in Iron Golem, and then max Fire Golem for the synergies? What are some good weapons/equipment for an Iron Golem?

Please keep in mind that I'm more or less avoiding mass Mephisto/Diablo/Baal runs, and I haven't really been keeping up on MF gear.

5. tavaritz

tavaritz Banned

You shouldn't. In Hell do not take the Halls of Pain way point so that you can keep the Anya's red portal open. Pop in to raise your skellies and the run WSK & all the other place you like.

With plant them we mean that you really don't need to put them in anywhere to beat the game with a fishymancer. Good items for Iron Golem are Immortal King's Stone Crusher for example or any other high damage weapon with nice mods like crushing blow or deadly strike. If you have mana problems and don't want your merc to carry Insight then make an IG out of Insight.

6. baqarah

baqarah IncGamers Member

Fishy doesnt need anything more to finish game/be viable than ~49 skill points (more when maxing FE, which btw is great). So growing skill trees for other characters in Akara's garden is kinda tempting ;). Yeah, they are joking. You can't do that, would be awesome, though.

I always thought: "IG is such a good idea, I'm gonna make him from Insight or IK Maul and he'll kick ***!" Every time I put points in IG I ended up using Clay Golem (1 point woder) like 10000 times more. Clay Golem is great and with Decrip makes Baal a punching bag (bosses doesnt move when slowed by sth like ~70%).
    Using Fire Golem is a good idea, monsters usually tend to attack him, not you. Still, I like Clay more.

Bone Armor is not THAT helpful, because your shield is your skellies - usually melee monsters dont hit me at all, archers focus on minions and BA doesnt work vs Gloams (only scary monsters you will face when playing as Fishy). Of course, when going HC your safety is the most important thing, so there is no such thing as "overkill".

You dont really need ANY items to kill Baal. I patted one of my fishies with only selffound items and I was only questing. With maxed CE all you need is 1 corpse and the whole screen is dead within seconds. I only recommend 1 thing - teleport charges in amulet or circlet. Teleport is GREAT and with fishy it is THE BEST. Fishy with tele is 100 times more powerful.

To sum up:
    Do everything you want to. Try things with your fishy, because with maxed skellies, skelly mastery and CE you cant cripple that build.

7. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

I suggest Golem Mastery (and 1 in each Golem) so that any Golem you have is durable. That way you can play around and see which one you like best.

8. HartleySan

Thank you all for your advice.

Quick question: What's the best way to get teleport for a Fishy?

9. Islandstone

Islandstone IncGamers Member

Best way to get teleport is Enigma.
    Other than that you have charges, either from Naj's puzzler(Elder staff), Spellsteel (Bearded Axe) or on a rare amulet

10. tavaritz

tavaritz Banned

Before you have gambled or crafted yourself a teleport ammy, found enough runes for Enigma or found any of the S/Us that grant teleport charges buy a teleport charge staff from Normal Ormus.

11. HartleySan

The runes needed for Enigma seem extremely rare. How am I supposed to get those?

12. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

Yea, it's just a joke. :p You know, dig a hole, drop skill points, pour water on it and wait until a Skill Tree grows... I tried to emphasise how little you need them.

Yes, 1 point in Iron Golem is enough. Adding more there does little to nothing. The only good things to make an IG out are weapons. Everything else is pointless. Anything with >200 Damage works pretty well. Personally I'm a fan of IK Mauls as they are common as Hell and have crushing blow on them too. Also 2 Sockets for runes (Shael or Amn, I guess).

This is only really useful if you pay a bit of attention to your Iron Golem. Mine very rarely, if ever, dies on me. Quite frankly, the only thing that killed it is no longer in the game. But yea, if you try to get him killed, you probably can. Same for getting him stuck. Most of the time he teleports to you, but sometimes he doesn't. Also, you need some gear at least. Usually that just piles up as a side effect of playing.

As far as teleport goes... I find that overrated. I've only very rarely used teleport on my Necros and I've never had much of a problem. TP is really just something for people that need to speed up their baal runs up and aren't interested in the items that drop in the WS K, which only makes sense if you try to reach level 99. Which I never cared about.

13. TheRebel22

TheRebel22 IncGamers Member

Hey Nightfish, do you know about this bug? Or is it a bug?

I'm running a fishymancer in SP right now. He's lvl 57 and has +15 summon skills, +9 bone skills. I got 1 point in bone armor, and then 1 point in Bone Wall because it adds more per level to bone armor, than bone armor does. At the time it only seemed to jump the 15 points, but I didn't pay any attention, and since I have skill points to spare, I put one point in bone prison, and again, it only jumped 15 points. I have 10 points each in Bone Armor, Bone Wall, and Bone Prison. With Synergies, that should be 150+150 = 300 + 110 =410dmg absorbed (or 400, I'm not sure).

Instead, it only displays 140 dmg absorbed. It seems like it doesn't count any of my +skill items. Is that the case? Is it just a display bug or does it really not count those +skill points?

Also, what would be the best way to boost up Iron Golem, I'm thinking of making that my other skill and using IK Maul's to do so. I have like 4 of them already, and they pop up frequently enough. But I don't want to make one until I have him somewhat strong.

And HartleySan, as far as finding runes, I would do Hell Travincal runs and kill the council. I found both Jah and Ber in the past 3 days, but of course I was a complete idiot and traded my Jah because I thought I'd never find a Ber. Now I probably won't ever find another Jah, but I'm keeping this damn Ber anyways!! lol I also found a Lo rune, which is very valuable.

*EDIT*

Also, I just made my Iron Golem out of an IK maul because I was too curious to wait.. he doesn't do jack for damage. My skellies do more damage than him. Did I do something wrong? I laid the IK on the ground, right clicked Iron Golem on it and he formed, item was gone.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  14. tavaritz

tavaritz Banned

Pluses to skills don't count as synergies.

15. barren

barren IncGamers Member

I maxed bone spear, probably a bad idea because the damage is so pitiful. I found spamming spears a healthier alternative in act 2 hell in the maggot lair and arcane sanctuary than bashing my head against the keyboard. Even in tight spaces like that, using a beefed up golem is a faster alternative then a weak bone spear cause all you need is 1 corpse for the CE chain.