Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What the ?!!? I thought HC chars were available from the start.... o

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Bignerdmatt, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Bignerdmatt

Bignerdmatt IncGamers Member

What the ?!!? I thought HC chars were available from the start....

I havent played D2 in a while. I stopped around the time 1.10 debuted and came back about 2 weeks ago. My account was held by a friend so I just "jumped" back in.

I made countless characters, never thinking about this. I made a new account because my buddy traded me 3 six packs of red stripe beer for my account (I love that stuff :p)

Anyhow I dont have the option to make a HC char from the start. I swear on my bottle of red stripe that I thoguht you could make HC chars from the start now....

Am I mistaken ? Please help me :( I dispise SC games... they arent as fun to me....

2. Blood_And_Iron

Blood_And_Iron IncGamers Member

as far as I know

It seems your accounts are tracked by ISP now. I started 1.10 without having done anything, but I could make HC chars right away. A friend of mine moved to another state, with, obviously, another ISP, and he had to start over with SC, even though he had played HC with me before.

Did you change ISP? Maybe the game registers your old accounts on your friend's ISP now.

3. Bignerdmatt

Bignerdmatt IncGamers Member

Nope. Same ISP and I even logged on with his account... not working. All I can think of is a classic BNET saying............

WTF? ?!?!?!

4. Prez

Prez IncGamers Member

I believe that you have to defeat Ball in sc from the computer that u are on..did you unload/reload or buy a new computer?

PREz

5. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

I think it's tied to CD-Key now actually...tying it to ISP would be illogical, as everyone on AOL for example would be able to create HC as soon one person on AOL beat baal. Tying it to IP would be almost as silly, since many people have dynamic IPs.

If it's not tied to CD-Key, then it would be something on your computer, although I have formatted many times since 1.10 was released and created HC chars on other realms shortly after doing so.

6. Cleglaw_Himself

Cleglaw_Himself IncGamers Member

DoubleOOBubble posted a solution to this problem many many posts ago.

I believe you just go to your registry via regedit and click the D2 folder.
    Change the item near AllowHardcore to look something like this:
    0x00000001 (1)

Save it first of course...

7. AliZe

AliZe IncGamers Member

i did actully complete Sc norm before i made my hardcore, and it was HELL, i almost quit.... but now its over... well it was kinda a good chance to learn about the new things in 1.10... things are much harder now...
    what you mention is CHEAT, well atleast in my eyes...(i try to stay very pure) and yes i read <b>somewhere</b> :teeth: how you can do it.. and decided that is was cheat...

8. Illiana

Illiana IncGamers Member

This might help...

Two weeks ago, a real life friend of mine started playing Diablo. Since I'm convinced that hardcore is the only way to play, I asked him to make a hc char, so that we could have some fun questing through the game together. (This far, we've reached act 2 Normal... I need more time to play! :lol: )

Anyways, he couldn't create a hc char either. I, just like you, thought that hc was now available from the start, so I was perplexed. I wanted to have a look to see what was wrong. My friend whispered me his password, and when I opened his account I COULD start a hc char...

Then, after I had logged off his account, my friend COULD make a hc char! So that might be the solution. Give your password to a friend and let him make the first hc char, after that you should be able to make hc chars yourself.

Hope this helped!

9. DarkY

DarkY IncGamers Member

that isnt cheating, it enabling a function that is disabled, just like turning ingame-music on/off

10. ventilator

ventilator IncGamers Member

A possible solution would be to download a single player savegame with a char that has completed normal difficulty. That's what I did anyway.

11. Chiller_babe

Chiller_babe IncGamers Member

You could also get a friend to create a new account with a couple of level one HC Characters. Then he can give you the account name and password::)

Hey Presto you are up and running in HC

Chill

12. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

I'm pretty sure it's as simple as they changed the requirement to including any characters you had on single player.

13. HR-Tecira

HR-Tecira IncGamers Member

From what I have heard if you log on to an account with hc chars on it or one with chars on it that have completed sc or if you have a hc single player character or single player char that has completed sc then you will be able to make new accounts that are hardcore.

Think it takes that for bnet to link hc creating ability to your cd key. All of my comps can make new accounts with hc chars and I have had to reinstall d2 on all of them from time to time. (Mac glitch that has never been fixed. I now have a back up made of my D2 folder and just delete the old folder and copy the backup when ever I get the file corruption issue. After I have been using it for a while start dropping when going to act3 and eventually when going to act1 town even if using a wp or tp from another area in act1. It fixes when I switch to the fresh copy so something is getting messed up. Have no idea what though.)

14. doubleOObubble

doubleOObubble IncGamers Member

Information on your ONLINE chars are stored on your computer in the "C:\Program files\Diablo II\save\*realm*\" directory. If diablo sees you have a slayer+ in that directory (or a single dito char in the save directory) you can make make HC chars.

The simplest ways to do it if you have no accs for yourself:

* Play through SC normal (single or online shouldn't matter). If the guy's new to the game, it might be a good "tutorial"?
    * Tinker with the registry (only if you know what you are doing).
    * Log onto a friends account (one with HC chars) - this will create a save char file on your computer and you are ready to make your own HC chars. This would probably be the smoothest way as opposed to d/l a single player char/having a friend send you one.

One could say it's a sort of cheating, but it's very vague. It's not illegal to copy single chars from your friends as far as I know and that (for example) is one way to gain access to making HC chars... Either way, it's not a tenth as bad as any other hack out there.