Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

what the hell i do wrong, help me out here

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by riekes, Feb 26, 2004.

1. riekes

riekes IncGamers Member

what the hell i do wrong, help me out here

i don't get it, every other player online seems to be a lot better then me. they are mutch stronger then me and if i trade the flash their unique stuff in my face and all i have is crap. so what's my problem. is it the skill-points, the skills, the gear, not enough charms, or all of it.

curently i'm level 43, my skillpoints are 142S 63D 85V 10E and i have sword mastery and frenzy maxed out.
    the only stuff worth menyioning i have is a +barbskills sword, iceblink armor and a food horned helm (if you think this is bad, wait till you see the rest)

is this char completely lost or can i still save him, tell me plz how, i'm desperate

2. m1rage

m1rage IncGamers Member

Items are a huge aspect of the game. However, you're just going to have to make due until you can begin to MF and start to build a collection of items. Until then, you really can't do much to compare yourself to others.

My suggestions:
    Finish leveling your char through hell and get him to around the 80s
    Save any gems and low runes you find
    Trade off P Gems and runes for other better items, esp MF ones
    Find a socketed helm and fill it with P Topazes

It's going to take a while to collect some MF gear, but once you get a fair amount of MF stuff and can consistantly do MF runs in hell, it's all downhill from there.

3. riekes

riekes IncGamers Member

this prob sounds stupid, but what's MF??

4. m1rage

m1rage IncGamers Member

MF=magic find

5. MFdoom

MFdoom IncGamers Member

i started off exactly the same, tho once i found my 1st unique luck juststrted to comein, since ur new to the game just get the strongest char u can make with ur resources, then mf with him in the pits, after a few days ull get somthing good, trde it for a good sword andthen ur off :D

6. riekes

riekes IncGamers Member

thx, also, what is the best merc to use with a barb, i use a sorc 4 the moment

7. Grandar King of Trolls

Grandar King of Trolls IncGamers Member

As cheezy as it sounds, I am building an MF meteorb just to increase my wealth. I hate sorcy's, but they do have their advantages. Give me a barb any day.

8. Grandar King of Trolls

As to merc, I think the general opinion is an act 2 nm offensive (might) merc. I have a sorc right now who can tank lister in NM :), but I will be getting rid of him soon enough, I think. He tends to die too much in hell.

9. katanadaishi

katanadaishi IncGamers Member

I think that you should stop playing your barb for now and make either a hammerdin (all-around MFer), a meteor sorc (for Mephi Runs) or a blizzard sorc (for Pindle Runs).

Barbs are too item dependent to be considered as good MF characters unless you have the godly MF gear on you. But if you're just starting out then there's no way on earth that you could have the best MF stuff right away.

Hammerdins are the cheapest characters to build in terms of a starting character because they could practically survive hell even when naked (just as long as you have maxed out all the synergies for blessed hammer). Putting MF stuff on a Hammerdin (even a poor man's mf set-up: 3 Ptopaz helm, 4 Ptopaz Armor, Chance Guard, Nagels, Wizard Spike, Rhyme Shield, an MF Amulet and an MF boots) will survive even the most difficult areas -- areas that even a well-equipped barbarian will have a difficult time in.

The same poor man's outfit on an MF barb = certain death. There is no way you will be able to do MF runs and not die a gazilion times. It will get annoying, trust me. Had I known what I knew now from the beginning, I would have started out with a hammerdin or one of the sorcs I described.

Your other option is to make one of these two different sorc builds: a meteor sorc that you will use just to do Mephi runs or a Blizzard sorc for Pindle runs. I have both types of sorcs and once again, they can survive the runs they are designed for even with a poor-man's MF gear.

This is my two cents worth. If you still insist on using a barb for early MF successes, don't be too optimistic. Once you get to hell mode and you take 5 minutes to kill one quill rat, you'll begin to understand what I'm saying. My hammerdin (when he was still starting out) had no problem killing all the monsters in the Pit -- and low and behold -- I found my first real nice item: a Tal Rajah's Plate.

10. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

There is a rather large thread on this topic a few posts down (http://www.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=141599). I realize you're new to the board and thus don't know the etiquitte too well, just make sure you search before you ask questions, because some people get aggrivated by folks asking the same questions repeatedly when they've already been answered ;)

-Hal

11. JohnofTesh

JohnofTesh IncGamers Member

Dude, you're a level 43. Most people wait about 40 more levels before they make the "What am I doing wrong" post. Levels and time, that's what it's all about.

The best thing about the ladder is that for most of us it meant starting from scratch and working our way up.

Run the blood moor on hell difficulty over and over. You will be amazed at what nice tradeables you can get from there. If you aren't in hell yet, do nightmare trancival/mephisto/baal. Start collecting flawless gems and make pgems - trade for a tarnhelm and a goldwrap and dual ali-babas. Make a rhyme shield. Save your gold and gamble. Craft blood gloves and knockback gloves and caster belts. Pick out nice items to imbue. Work your way through the game the old fashioned non-rush way. Items will drop, trade them for what you want.
    That's how I did it anyway.

12. riekes

riekes IncGamers Member

this sounds all good but how do i get my nice barb items from my sorc to my barb

13. katanadaishi

I take it that you haven't added anybody to your friends list so are you looking for a muling/transferring buddy that you can trust? if you need help transferring maybe you should ask. I don't mind helping you, just leave your bnet account name here I will try to message you when I get online tonight. Perhaps I can even give you some nice freebies from my mules.

14. riekes

riekes IncGamers Member

so i must make a paladin with blessed hammer, blessed ain and vigor maxed out. Is this the only thing to make this famous hamerdin.

15. drwtwn312

drwtwn312 IncGamers Member

hammers are nice right now you should find a nice build guide but you don't need to make it to the T because it is all on how you play. And on the note of x-fer make sure you trust the person who is helping you xfer because you don'tw ant them ripping you off.... :)

16. Grandar King of Trolls

17. katanadaishi

Riekes, I have decent hammerdin gear you can have FOR FREE if you want. I play on USEAST Ladder Softcore. Let me know if you are interested. I have stuff like Peasant's Hat, Wizard Spike, Silkweaves, Magefist, Nightsmoke, Steelclash, Faster Cast Rate rings and ammy and even a Stealth Armor I'm no longer using. This will get you up to speed really quick.

18. riekes

riekes IncGamers Member

thanks, this will spare me a lot of time. i play on the european channel ladder&softcore, i don't know if that's a problem that you're in the us.

19. theseus

theseus IncGamers Member

i have the exactly the same problem, wheni create a new character i get to about lvl 30 -40 and can't do anything cos i can't kill anyone in nm, and hardly any one can be bother rushing you through act 2. And there isn't enough people on non ladder USEast to get enough people to kill duriel and find the staff.(same thing happened in Hell)
    i also hate starting a new character cos it takes to long to lvl up. unless ofcourse there is 8 people in the game but that hardly ever happens.

20. katanadaishi

It's not going to work. We have to be both on USEast Ladder for me to give you the items. Oh well I'm sure somebody here who plays in the EUROPE server may offer to give you a hand. Anybody?