Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What the hell am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Larne_Man, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Larne_Man

Larne_Man IncGamers Member

What the hell am I doing wrong?

Hi all,

First post on this forum - sorry if I'm asking a dumb question but I'm really stuck. Thanks for the help in advance -

I'm playing a Necromancer single player. I get to about lvl 29 and reach Diablo at the end of Act 4 on Normal.

I've about 10 points in in Raise Skeleton and Skeleton Mastery, plus 1 point in clay, blood and iron golem. I've also got Decrepify and all the other obligatory skills / curses.

My skele's kick serious butt until I get to diablo himself and then I get absolutely roasted. I've also got a level 1 Merc with a bow - she doesn't seem to help much.

Bottom line - within about 10 seconds of meeting Diablo my skeles are gone, along with my golem, merc and then me! I've tried Decreping, tried Amping etc but nothing seems to work.

That's problem number one.

Question 2 - have I chosen the wrong merc? When I get to Act 2 should I swap mercs then? If so, which is the best one to get?

Thanks very much for your help in advance and sorry again for the 'noob' questions from a 35 year old!

David

2. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

*dodges the Mad Mantis reply strike* :creep:

Nah not nOOb at all. It's a known fact that normal diablo is one of the hardest steps in being a skellimancer. I personally would have to tell that putting 1-3 points into skeleton mastery and maxing out Raise Skeleton first is usually the best way to do it, as they deal more damage that way, AND you have more of 'em to throw around (not to mention more life). Clay golem and decrep aren't cutting it for you? Hmmm...what kind of +skills do you have and did you drop a point into summon resists? Try to shop for a good wand with decent +skills (if you don't already have one). If all else fails try leveling up a bit more beforehand.

For a skellimancer a might merc is your best bet from act 2 nightmare (offensive type) but since you aren't to that point yet i'd recommend either a prayer merc from act 2 norm (combat type) to help your skellies (and you) regenerate health a bit faster or a blessed aim merc from act 2 norm (offensive type) to make sure those skells hit. I personally prefer the blessed aim merc over the prayer merc.

3. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

Youn to get an Act2 merc (I like combat or defense), level him up alittle bit...and give him some desent armor and weapon.

Also, keep recasting gumby, so diablo will focus on him.

You will find it alot easier doing Diablo that way.

HoS

4. Cerebron

Cerebron IncGamers Member

I'm not sure. But I'm sure this is a common problem instead of a newb's question. Honestly, I killed Normal Diablo with other players online, because obviously Big D is tough and you're at low level.

Here are some suggestions. They are rather my theoretical guesses. Try it a little bit and see if it works

1) I recommend Prayer Merc. The problem with Diablo is his powerful Circle of Flame. It basicly kills everything at the same time. Hopefully the Prayer merc can keep your skellies alive.

2) Get a Cold Mage. Do you have 1 point in Mage? If not, get a wand that adds the skill or just level up a bit. You need Revive anyway so Mage is a prerequisite. Based on my experience with Bonemancer, Glay Golem + Dec Curse + Holy Freeze merc = nothing moves. Well, you're in Normal so there's no Holy Freeze merc. Hopefully cold mage will work in the same way.

3) Based on my best knowledge, Normal monsters don't regenerate health. Or maybe just very slowly. So if you don't die, Diablo is going to die anyway. I heard that don't run if you lose the battle against Diablo. It's going to bone prison you. Also, Diablo's attacks are pretty predicable. Never stand in the same direction where it faces. The inferno is no fun.

4) This suggestion may be just to entertain everybody. Get a wand or something that gives you skills for other characters. I never tried this in Normal games. I know some staves that give you Level 1 Fire Ball, something like that. Get the skill and try to kill Diablo on your own while your minions distract him. Who knows.

5. pliu

pliu Banned

Here the way I kill normal Diablo (actually similar ways to all the bosses in normal) use my skelemancer. The important thing is you need patient for this,

Level and skill requires:
    Level >= 27
    Skill needed: Decrepify and summon resist (these two skills are very important , especially summon resist. Without it, your skeletons will volunteer to any element attack!)
    (for skeleton master and raise skeleton, you should max raise skeleton first but that is ok 10/10 of them)

And try to get more +skill possible to boot you summon resist skill.

When you face Diablo do this:

1. Full you TP book with 20 TP scrolls
    2. When Diablo come out from his seal. Make a TP and leave it there.
    3. Make sure you have full army before face Diablo.
    4. Head to Diablo and try keep Diablo decrepify.
    5. When your army almost all die ( one or two of them left) take the TP quickly to town and take WP to act1 to make a new army
    6. repeat step 4,5. if the necro died , try to raise army first instead of get body first
    7. Diablo will finial fall :D

6. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

Here's another tip, assuming you have a full army of skellies when you break the final seal. Make sure clay golem and decrepify are on hot-keys. Then with clay golem ready to cast run to Diablo (so your skellies are trailing behind) until he is just visible, then stop and cast the clay golem onto him, switch to decrepify and cast then back to clay golem (who could be dead by now). As soon as the clay golem gets a hit and with decrepify on Diablo will be much slower and you can rush up with your skellies to chop him up. It is esssential to keep decrepify and clay golem in play at all times.

Good Luck.

7. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

@Larne_Man:

Welcome Newcomer to The Darkness. Grab a brew :drink: and feel free to raise some corpses.

Nice one. :thumbsup:

8. Larne_Man

Larne_Man IncGamers Member

Thanks guys for the help.

Judging by what some of you are saying it's not just easy as pie to kill Diablo - hence the jumping back and forward through TP's.

I've read some threads that say Iron Golum with Iron Maiden are the way to go - although I've tried this with no luck.

I'll let you know how I get on - thanks again.

9. CyberHawk

CyberHawk IncGamers Member

well if he goes 1 more lvl, he could get a fire Golem to really tank Diablo, tho that summon resits is a must for your minions, hmm. I'd go act2 defensive myself, I always chose that one. Offensive if ya want to be creative.:), and prayer if ya wanna waste your time..lol naw, naw, j/k.

But ya, post back on your results, welcome as well. :howdy:

10. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

I thought that a Fire Golem would be the answer with my first Necro way back when 1.10 first came out. But Diablo kills it in about 2 hits and I had to keep resummoning and the golem does no noticeable damage. It took ages to Bone spirit him to death with a level 1 spirit, dodging his attacks and resummoning the Fire Golem (with maybe only 2 plus skills then) and was one of the toughest fights that Necro ever had.

My latest Necro is a daggermancer with skellie support and he beat Diablo at level 27. I just ran up to the Big Bad Beast with a full resists, good blocking and a belt of potions and used my Jade Tan Do to cut his jugular and inject the green stuff into him. :evil: I put Decrepify on him and eventually my skellies, merc and clay golem trundled up to help. Only lost a couple of Skellies and the 3 mages. Did the same to Duriel and all the other bosses... when push comes to shove there's no better tank than me with a belt of potions and good blocking. A further point to note is that Diablo's lightning hose is less damaging when you are very close so it's best to get up close if you can.

11. timay_006

timay_006 IncGamers Member

Just in case you didn't know this... but bosses do 100%-or more damage to minions (skelis,golems,etc) So thats the only promblem, (cuz u mentioned something about doing fine untill diablo)...Ya and just do what the others were telling you, get up close (so he doesn't do his fire circle thing), and just hammer him from there, keep recasting golem and u should do fine.

12. Dracoy

Dracoy IncGamers Member

Does anyone else see the Diablo pop up>?

13. Ravenforce3

Ravenforce3 IncGamers Member

Yep...I was going to ask about that somewhere...

14. PhantoM_RaynE

PhantoM_RaynE IncGamers Member

it took me a few hours to kill him......

i would have to day use clay golem, if you constantly recast him rit eon d. he will slow him down alot, and if you coudl get a ice mage, or an ice weapon to slow him alot. i never had a problem with the rign of fire, just the lightning.

i was usign amp and weakon, mostly amp. i had cleared almost all of a1 just for resompnign ppl. its a hard feet. i had a easy time with baal though. just use the same strat, it works fro all of the bosses(that i knwo of), i just use amp though, dose decrify do fulkl 100% amp also?