Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What supplement skill for my least-likely-to-live-build. i

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Zarhrezz, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

What supplement skill for my least-likely-to-live-build.

After alot of pondering and planning and preliminary trading (still need to get my hands on some items, but hey, I can make a start with the poor sorcie now) I'm faced with the last few choices...namely what supplement skills to take (and how to put them in the leveling scheme). Options I'm going to choose from:

Fireball: 1101-1236, 16 mana per cast.

Meteor: 3185-3355 impact/753-807 per second, 29 mana per cast.

Firewall: 4723-4777 per second, 49 mana

Hydra: 480-555 per shot, 33 mana

Inferno: 1125-1220 per second, 10 mana per second

Chain Lightning: 4-2196 with 11 hits, 43 mana

Main skills will be Frozen Orb, so the backup skill will not be used intensively and almost always vs CI packs. I'm inclined to choose Inferno since 1) it's original 2) I've never used it before 3) in that option, warmth gets a big boost which has the added benefit of more regen/second. I also like the Hydra option...I just like Hydra I guess =) I'm a bit uncertain as to it's killing power at the listed damage. I don't like the NextDelay on Chain Lightning much and Firewall is a skill that I never used much since I don't think it's convenient to use. Meteor is always solid, but then the build is more of a weird conversion of a MeteOrb sorc. Fireball is always solid though...not much pro, not much con.
    Which option would you go for and why?

2. Joutaja

Joutaja IncGamers Member

Fireball + Meteor: I suggest combining these skills since they are syenergies for each other. They will be able to kill things quickly but as you said they aren't very orginal (if that's what you are looking for).

Firewall: Doesn't have syenergy so it wouldn't eat much points. Never used it so I don't know how viable it is. Getting monsters stand in it might be hard.

Hydra: I have Matted FO/Hydra sorc. It can kill things and is very good cause you can cast it at the edge of the screen. It just lacks the area damage that Meteor has.

CL: I needs lots of points but FO doesn't so it might be good.

Inferno: I think they nerfed inferno in this patch. Not sure tough. Someone else can explain it better.

3. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

with your strange build i would choose fireball as it cab be spammed and deals a good amount of damage

4. farting bob

farting bob Banned

for least likely to live, you are having orb and mayb meteor? thats a cookie cutter sorc now...
    anyway, id say from them have chain lightnign if you have tons of mana or high lvl warmth. but maxd out it does eat mana, but it shoudlnt take to many to kill lots of monsters in hell so per-mosnter it woudl be a vey soudn investment. plus its more original than the fire ones.

5. Zarhrezz

Why it's experimental/less-than-likely-to-live:

Strength 65
    Dexterity base
    Vitality base
    Energy the rest

ES 20
    TK 20
    FO 20
    Supplement as above...rest prereqs.

How many cookie-cutter sorcs go into hell with less than 300 hps? ;)

6. farting bob

farting bob Banned

ok, point taken. you might want a fast killing skill then.
    id go for CL with the orb. CL can kill in hell on its own, and nice you'll have 3000 mana, that wont be an issue unless your right mouse button gets stuck down.

7. factotum

factotum IncGamers Member

Inferno is deadly, but generally for you, not the monsters. In order to use the skill you have to stand still while spitting your jet of flame at the monsters--you starting to see the problem here? I did try building an Inferno sorc myself, but I found it was starting to get too dangerous even by Normal Act 3--I dread to think how long you'd last trying to use this skill in Hell.

8. jrichard

jrichard IncGamers Member

What items do you still need? I don't generally play sorcs, but i think i might have a few things tucked away that you could have. I doubt i've much of anything great for sorcs, but i could check.

jrichard

9. wildjinn

wildjinn IncGamers Member

The problem with using Inferno (while I think it would be awesome to try :)) for your particular build is that if you run into any CI pack that also mana burns, you're toast because of the odd way that mana burn monsters seem to take your entire ball in one hit these days...you probably have thought of that already, though.

I'd probably do CL. You can spam that like mad, it's got its wierd IAS/FCR thing worked out (IIRC), it homes on enemies, and, since you'll be having tons of mana anyway, it would be worthwhile and a heck of a fast-paced ride. Using Frosties and a SoJ on top of that gigantic mana pool will probably not require too much warmth to maintain crazy CL firing rate, either.

If you were feeling patient, hydra would be fun. It's neat and exciting and pretty badass, although would probably kill pretty slowly.

Otherwise, I really like meteor, but it sounds like you don't want to go MeteOrb, which is cool. Fireball is fun, but I'm not the hugest fan just because I don't like it as much. No good reason. Firewall does loads of damage if you cast it right, so it might work well, but I'm not particularly familiar with firewall aiming mechanics to make a good call on that.

Whatever happens, I'll be interested to hear about your sorc's progress. She sounds fun and wonderfully crazy.

10. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Why not use Blaze as your secondary skill? It can kill anything not FI that chases you in hell and it´s pretty safe to use if you know what you´re doing.
    Then again, with base vitalilty you probably can´t run as much as you will need to...

11. Zarhrezz

If I can find my second SoJ (this will require heavy digging to say the least) I still need a few +lightning skillers, 1 fire skiller (if I decide on a fire skill...not quite sure yet...CL with 7 lightning skillers also boosts Thunderstorm (from staff) and saves a few points in getting slvl 40 ES), Silkweave, Arachnid Mesh and an Arch-Angel's/Powered Amulet of Life Everlasting. I think the amulet is actually the hardest thing to get, but I guess there's options there as long as it includes +(lightning)skills and damage reduction.

12. Zarhrezz

And so it begins...

Welp, even though there is a guide for FO/CL already I think I'll go with CL (who knows, I might develop alternatives later/simultaniously) since I've never really used that skill at all. Hydra lost out due to being level 30 and it'll be nice to have at least some damage skill that can take a few points before level 30. Inferno got voted off the island for being too vulnerable to mana-burners. Meteor lost due to allround popularity. Firewall looked good, but previous usage has shown that a lack of end-user skill in it's application has a tremendous inpact in it's potential. Fireball won a good second place.

And thus Sorceress Mephista was born. Of course she's better and cooler than her male name-sake. Chain-lightning instead of normal and her little cold orb shoots other cold thingies, woohoo.
    For now she's decked out with a 3 chipped emaralds bow and a 3 chipped topazes two-handed axe...but wait till the spells start flying!

13. ricrestoni

ricrestoni IncGamers Member

I am myself a big fan of Leaf runeword (I think it is Leaf, not 100% sure). If you managed to find a +3 Inferno staff with 2 sockets, you would get a +9 Inferno +6 Warmth +3 other fire skills, and it has low level reqs. But then I guess it is too late, Mephista is on her way...

I really want to know how she advances with major ES. You must end up with a guide!

Good luck!

14. Zarhrezz

Mephista manged to get to level 14 without much trouble. Not much spell-use as of yet (Frost Nova the most frequently used spell) but after purchasing a +3 Fireball staff with 2 sockets and putting it on switch, casting is happening more and more. At level 19 the staff will be turned into a Leaf runeword, giving a slvl 6 Fireball without spending any points into the fire branch other than the 1 into Warmth. Right now she just passed through the Underground Passage. The plan is to go after Andariel at level 19 with the Stick of Fireballs to make it quick and easy. One find of note this far: Hotspurs from Raganishu (or whatever the little pest is called)...pretty nice, but they'll be replaced with Vidala's Fetlock in the next twink. But first she'll has to find something to help Akara with her reading lessons...