Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What starting weapon for Act II merc?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Fettuchini, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Fettuchini

Fettuchini IncGamers Member

What starting weapon for Act II merc?

I've always started with a Malice scythe but lately I've been finding a lot of low-level unique polearms.

Which would you suggest? And excluding high-level runeword weapons which I'm quite aways from being able to make, what would be a good weapon later?

I have the Hwaninn's weapon which I'm considering socketing with an Amn for the life steal since the consensus seems to be that this is the best attribute to have on a merc to help him survive.

Thanks for your input. :scratch:

2. AuraAllan

AuraAllan IncGamers Member

"Honor" etheral "insert polearm here"
    "Strength" etheral "insert polearm here"

~AuraAllan~

3. Fettuchini

Found Unique Weapons

Just realized that 'unique polearms' may be too general a category. Some may be better, some may be worse than the Malice. Also included should be spears too.

For reference, I have found:
    Bloodthief (which has the vaunted lifesteal on it)
    Woestave
    Razortine
    Lance of Yaggai
    The Dragon Chang (looked really weak so I sold it)

Any rares I've come across haven't been comparable for the low-level Act II merc (13-20 ish).

4. Fettuchini

Thanks AuraAllan -

I like the looks of Strength:
    +35% Enhanced Damage
    25% chance of Crushing Blow
    7% life steal
    +2 mana per kill
    +10 vitality
    +20 strength

especially if life steal is very important.
    You can see I'm a relative noob :lol:

I'm going to try one of these once the merc reaches the required
    level 25 to see if this works better than the Malice.

5. qhc

qhc IncGamers Member

"strength""honor" needs lv 25/27, for lv13-20 the best weapon should be an eth unique/eth "malice"/or gemmed eth 2h weapon. I have a gemmed 6s lv12 ethereal pike, it's really good.
    Not only polearms, he can use spears right?

6. Barking_Spidre

Barking_Spidre IncGamers Member

Yes, he can use spears, Javelins as well.

7. let's have a look

let's have a look IncGamers Member

My $0.02

I keep an eth unique bardiche(dimoak hew) just for my low lvl mercs. lvl 8 req something like 4-80 damage with 20 ias. At lvl 25 and up try to get your hands on an ethereal five or six socket exceptional polearm. Spend enough time in hell and a bec de-cobin or partizan will drop for you. I don't go in for the low runewords so mine if full of tal runes and 15 max lvl 18 jewels. Works really well for me.

8. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

i generally use a 3 normal topaz (lvl 12 req) spear. the damage is around 60, putting it far and away above any other wep in that level range. flawless would be 90.

however, why go with norm mercs? nm can go up to 47, so have a much better selection of items to choose from and better auras.

9. qhc

qhc IncGamers Member

3 gems spear is just ok, not good enough. why not a 6 gems eth one?
    NM mercs have different auras, some build needs normal mercs.

10. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I just found an ethereal rare ogre axe with 1xx-6xx damage and level req 45 :D Adding a socket and putting a hel rune into it will reduce the strength req to <160...

11. Superhal

apparently, he's asking for a norm a2 merc, as nm a2 mercs have much higher hire levels. for nm, i always go with blackleech blade bill until level 65-66, then a cruel warpike. if you want norm auras, hell mercs have the same ones.

there are some builds that pretty much require getting a norm merc just to survive, even if you don't intend to level it all the way .

you can buy a 3s spear from charsi in act 1 norm, and i found this sufficient (to get him to lvl 25) to get him better eq. if you are looking for the best of the best items, sure a 6s etheral pike would be best, but i find the 3s spear to be the best in cost/value and ease of aquisition.

12. Fettuchini

The initial question was in the same vein as the "starting gear weapon" for a character where Khalim's Will appears to be a good choice.

I've been keeping a Malice scythe and passing it down for my starting Act II mercs.

This is because I've heard that Open Wounds really works well and Malice has 100% Open Wounds.

It looks like multi-socketed ethereal weapons also work well. I'll have to keep a lookout for these and build a next-stage weapon.

13. Superhal

well, malice (because of ith) has a lvl 15 req, highest hire level i believe is 12.

14. Fettuchini

I've had one at 13, but you're absolutely right. There's always an annoying 2-3 level period where I just buy whatever is available and use it.

15. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

This is mainly aimed at the players who like to play untwinked (character and merc uses only what they find themselves). The weapon history of my act 2 mercs is usually something like this:

Starting out:
    Jagged Spetum of Frost or something like that. I like to have some cold damage on the weapon in act 2, against all those skeleton/greater mummy combinations. I like the Spetum, because it´s reasonably speedy and does good damage at this stage of the game.

Later in Normal:
    Depends a lot of what I find. It can be:
    * A weapon from the "Savage polearm" recipe. (Kris+belt+staff+diamond (a chipped one will do)). You can get up to Partizan (but that one can´t be used for quite a while). A jackpot would be a Savage Lochaber Axe of the Leech, which can be used at around level 25.
    * For little later, it can be an exceptional poelarm created with the above recipe, then rerolled with gems to get sockets. Life steal is almost required, so make use of those skulls you´ve collected!
    * A gambled rare Pike can be nice if all else fails. Extra speed and life steal are highly sought after.

Very late normal and on Nightmare:
    Depends on what happens.
    * Gambled normal rares upgraded to excpetionals can be really good.
    * 'Honor' in an exceptional weapon is another possibilty.

End-game:
    * Twice, I have found Hone Sundan on NM. Great with its Crushing Blow and sockets to put in at least two Amn runes. Great weapon. Kelpie Snare is almost as good (at least on NM) with the slowing.
    * 'Honor' elites, 'Crescent Moon' elites, rare elites, Cruel elites with life steal.
    You never know what you´ll end up with.

16. Muffassa

Muffassa IncGamers Member

eth demochs hew is my personal fav. I also have a rare unique eth spear (level 4 requrements) that is better than my demochs hew, but anything like that is awesome

gotta give malace a try :)

17. Superhal

malice is nice, but usually i wouldn't use the runes on a norm merc, especially for untwinked chars. a malice would probably be one of my better weps. :)

overall though, why even bother with the a2 norm merc, unless you absolutely had to have it to survive? eg. skellimancer for the first corpse.

norm a3 cold mercs are superior, imho. they are like baby hf mercs. of course, very bad for skellimancers. :)

don't have to worry about eq either, just buy any garbage and throw it on them.

18. ian_linington

ian_linington IncGamers Member

Until I can find better, my act 2 mercs all start with
    Isenharts helm & armor
    6 soc sectum (sp?) with
    4 x Eld
    Normal Skull
    Normal Saphire (- can't remember the cold damage one)

This then has a lvl 12 requirement.

I'm on the look out for a 6 soc eth pike (superior :surprise: ) and will then will put the same runes/gems in that. As Act 2 has a lot of undead +300% damage to undead and +200 to attack rating seems good to me. Skull for the leach and the saphire to freeze and slow the monsters down.

Cheers

Ian L.

19. Fettuchini

So do mine. Then they move on to Sigon's helm and armor.

20. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I prefer not to put any special efforts into mercs until I'm done with nm act 4 or mid of act 5. Then I get an act 2 nm one, give him Griswold's armor (with as much IAS jewels as I have at that time), Crown of Thieves and a nice weapon (e.g. the one I mentioned above, as soon as he is L45, but stuff like Pierre Tombale Couant or Spire of Honor is also nice at first). I complete nm act 5 and do Baal runs until he is L75. Then he gets Reaper's Toll and he is complete, ready for hell mode.