Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What sort of transition do you think that there should be between acts?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Pyrohemia, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Pyrohemia

Pyrohemia IncGamers Member

What sort of transition do you think that there should be between acts?

In Diablo 2 after having completed the final quest in each act you talk to a traveler or walk through a portal and receive a cut-scene before you suddenly appear in new surroundings. This is only one possible approach. Acts could transition between one another with no distinct boundary, leaving you completely in control, or there could be a journey between acts.

What do you think would be good for Diablo 3?

2. permaximum

permaximum Banned

Re: What sort of transition do you think that there should be between acts?

I think we would be playing in a small part of the world if there weren't portals, caravans and ships in D2. So it would be impossible to see different surroundings.

Handling the journey between acts in an ARPG would be hard because of the game's fast-paced nature. Especially if we consider 4 acts. But there could be one solution.

1. You take the caravan. Ingame-cinematic starts.
    2. Information comes. The caravan is attacked by unknown demons. Gameplay is back.
    3. Demons are defeated. The caravan continous.
    4. Demons strike again. The caravan driver dies and the caravan takes serious damage.
    5. You have to continue on foot till the next town.
    6. Thanks to Heaven the next town is near. But you are not alone. You have to fight your way to the next Town.
    7. You are in Caldeum. New act begins.

This way we could see the transition areas and acts would not feel seperate.

3. GhostRidah

GhostRidah IncGamers Member

No cut scene.

I wanna walk through the whole world without any cut scene like you said in Diablo 2 LOD when you have finished the last quest.

4. permaximum

permaximum Banned

And here's the cinematic for that caravan :D

5. Zeek

Zeek IncGamers Member

I think pacman should go zooming by in one direction with a ghost hot on his tail. Then ms. pacman should go zooming by in the other direction with a ghost hot on her tail. Then they should both go zooming toward each other from opposite sides of the screen with ghosts on their tails. When the meet at the center they turn up and the ghosts slam into each other. Next act.

6. permaximum

permaximum Banned

I get what you are trying to say but that's exactly what i was trying to say too :)

7. The Lord of Darkness

The Lord of Darkness IncGamers Member

I would go with a cut-scene along with lore related content describing what is going on.
    I feel if we fought our way to Act locations alot of the story would be lost.

8. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop IncGamers Member

I want World of Diablo.

Screw new IPs.

Seriously though, I'm wondering what they can possibly be making as their next big thing. I'm sure it will be great, but I'd rather have WoD (at least in my ignorance, I would).

But, as to transition - cut scenes is tried and true and you can expect to see it again.

9. NASE

NASE IncGamers Member

Cut scenes are indeed the best way I believe. It allows you to offer much more of a stories. And I think playing a journey might soon become boring or cheezy. not to mention the difficulties with the size of the world and the need for randomisation.
    And besides, can you even call it acts without a distinct transition.

However, this does not mean they have to make it cut scenes from town to town. They can build it in some sort quest. As mention, initially and in the end, you can fight monsters. Or something else.

10. Pyrohemia

Pyrohemia IncGamers Member

I like that idea for a transition permaximum. It's along the lines of what I thought would make for an interesting evolution of context as you travel between acts. I think that there should be variety in the duration of transitions as a caravan journey that takes just as long as a step through a portal takes away from the immersion.

11. Toetag

Toetag IncGamers Member

I think a screen should pop up that show how many kills you had, what percentage were head shots, and any new medals you won.

Seriously though, from watching the gameplay videos, I have a feeling that it might be seemless, except when entering dungeons. Then again, when you look at the map, there are some areas across a body of water, so there will probably be a boat ride or something. Very WoWesque.

Hopefully, they will make the world so that there wont be acts, but just one big world, with starting areas, and different quests that take you to different places. In D2, when you were done with act 1, you never went back. It would be cool to be sent back to some of these places to complete different quests.

12. chillietaco

chillietaco IncGamers Member

How cool would it be to be on a boat and have monsters come up from the depths and have to fight them while the boat is moving across the sea. I don't think it would be too hard for blizzard to do something like that.

13. NASE

NASE IncGamers Member

I think it would be lame.

14. Slevinn

Slevinn IncGamers Member

I fully believe in new IPs. What if they create something even better and thrilling than Diablo? (If even possible)

However, with that said, I am right there first in line with you for a World of Diablo. Mmmmm :D

It would be pretty sick, I think.. Except, it would either have to be a massive boat, or maybe just a couple of tough monsters. You can't have a swarm of monsters rushing an averaged sized boat with 4 players on it. Just too compact. But I like it, or an element like this.

15. GoldenBird

GoldenBird IncGamers Member

As cool as having an open world sounds, I can't imagine it wouldn't be very laggy. And since it's not a mmo, what's the point really?

I don't really mind any transition at all, and I'm curious to see what they will do with the game. As long as it's fun and playable :p