Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What skill to use with wirt's leg?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by skoolbus, May 13, 2008.

1. skoolbus

skoolbus IncGamers Member

What skill to use with wirt's leg?

I'm going to make a char to (hopefully) beat the game using only wirt's leg (or perhaps two of them) as their only weapon ever. I'm not sure what skill I should use with it, but I don't want it doing elemental damage, just melee (so no aura zealots, no enchant, or anything that doesn't actually depend on what weapon you use). I have a question too, can you make runewords in wirt's leg? and if so, it's a mace so only mace and all melee weapons right? I plan on doing this in SC, and I'll most likely do some runs for xp as well. I'm still undecided on whether or not I'm going to use a merc.

So, what skill should I use?

2. MedctnStn

MedctnStn IncGamers Member

Re: What skill to use with wirt's leg?

you can only have one leg on your character at a time. as for runewords, pretty sure you cannot make one in it

3. silospen

silospen IncGamers Member

4. Colorless Green

Colorless Green IncGamers Member

I vote for frenzy, just because if you're going to do a pure-melee wirt's leg char, might as well go all the way.

5. Cius

Cius IncGamers Member

The damage is two pathetic to make it without some kind of added damage. Even 1000% increased damage won't get you over 100 damage by my calculations. I think the only viable characters would be auradins, enchant, or Fire claws type skills.

6. skoolbus

I didn't realize barbs can't use two at once. This basically narrows it down to a pally or fury druid. I think I'll use either zeal or sacrifice, I don't think charge would be very useful.

edit:
    Read

7. friedbananazzzz

friedbananazzzz IncGamers Member

Pop in some Sols (or jewels with at least +10 min damage), I think you'd get more damage that way than trying to make a runeword in it. A godly +18 min +ED% rare would top everything. Add in lots of CB from other gear and there's no reason you shouldn't be able to do it. I'm sure I read of a WirtSin somewhere...

edit: found it in the (correction) Guardian thread:
    Blacklotus - Wirt's Leg Sin TS/Venom *

Possible skills with the HIGHEST damage modifer: (synergized, no +skills)

Tiger Strike
    Mana cost: 1
    Attack Rating: +148%
    Charge 1: Damage: +480%
    Charge 2: Damage: +960%
    Charge 3: Damage: +1440%
    Duration: 9 Seconds

Charge
    Mana cost: 9
    Attack Rating: +335%
    Damage: +1375%
    [Synergy] Vigor: +400% Damage (20% / Lvl)
    [Synergy] Might: +400% Damage (20% / Lvl)

Berserk
    Mana cost: 4
    Duration: 1.3 Seconds
    Attack Rating: +385%
    Magic damage: +835%
    Convert to magic damage: 100%
    [Synergy] Howl: +200% Magic damage (10% / Lvl)
    [Synergy] Shout: +200% Magic damage (10% / Lvl)

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  8. skoolbus

@fried, Do you think I should go for one of those skills? Or should I do something like zeal+fanat, which should do a reasonable amount of damage over time, especially since I hope to load up on CB (not sure how to do it yet though haha).

I know I'm not going to use charge. I'm definately having a shield and charge is buggy enough without HS running out while charging.

9. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

If you loaded with CB, any fast melee attack would be fine.

However, even with your aura + merc aura, the physical damage won't be anywhere near to what you can call "decent".

10. purplelocust

purplelocust IncGamers Member

A 3 socket leg with either a +min dmg setup or Eths so you don't need to worry about AR could be a good plan for a Zealot using Holy Freeze or Holy Shock. Crushing blow sources elsewhere (Goblin Toes, Blood gloves, etc.) would be a huge help, of course!

11. galtwish

galtwish IncGamers Member

Get the 3os, stuff it with Eths (and maybe a IAS + elemental dmg jewel), and go try a Phoenix Strike or Blade Fury + Venom + Poison charms Assassin. Or just Eths, Tiamat's Rebuke, and lots of elemental dmg charms with whatever fast attacker you want, maybe Zeal/Conviction. WW Barb would be funny.

12. Niyougegema

Niyougegema IncGamers Member

I fully agree with purplelocust about both using Holy Shock and/or Holy Freeze (you could max both for immunes if you need that) with Zeal and about getting CB for extra quick killing... Maybe also you could imbue the Wirt's Leg for added bonuses? 40AIS and some others would be nice... I think it counts as an axe (strangely) so maybe you could craft it instead, I should try that sometime... no wait, can you imbue rares? If not, forget about my last couple of sentances.

13. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

If someone used a jewel like that in Wirt's leg, I might have to ban him on general principle. :laugh:

My only advice for a project like this is, if you're going to tackle an off-the-wall build like this, you might as well choose an original idea, not something that someone else has tried before.

As for what that "original idea" is... I haven't a clue.

OT: That reminds me though - I have had a different "original idea" for a long, long time that I should tackle someday. :scratch:... and no, I'm not telling you what that idea is until I finish it.

14. Rizzo

Rizzo IncGamers Member

Yeah, I'd take poopsies advice and do something original. I'd wager most of us have tried some version of a wirtadin at some point. Iirc I patted a holy freezer once in my youth.

15. Insane Wayne

Insane Wayne IncGamers Member

A plain Wirt's Leg can indeed be imbued. I've done it a few times for kicks. Additionally, a plain socketed Leg can be transformed into magical, with the "3 standard gems + socketed weapon" recipe, as seen here. (Which can then be used in a Hit Power craft, not that I'd recommend that.)

An interesting option for skoolbus' build might be to use chippies for rerolling a magical Leg, perhaps scoring a nice Fool's Leg of Quickness, or Grinding/Evisc, etc... Each result would of course also have 1-2 sockets as well. A Leg of Quickness with 2 sockets could reach 80% IAS.

16. Morathi

Morathi IncGamers Member

Dam thats pretty good.....imagine if it also had 2 sockets :azn:.

17. Insane Wayne

Yeah, a godly Wirt's imbue has some amazing potential, but IMO the odds are stacked way too highly against it, not to mention imbue farming isn't easy. On the other hand, magical rerolling could produce a Leg of Swiftness or Quickness, with 2 sockets, relatively easily, with the possibility of a good prefix as well. Even w/o a prefix, it would exceed the 60 IAS barrier of a standard 3-socket Leg. Many other useful affix combos as well, still with 1-2 sockets.

18. skoolbus

I don't think I explained what I wanted to do very well. I'm going to use wirt's leg and only do physical damage. It would be easy to just have wirt's leg in my hand and use skills which do the same damage if you use your fists or a DC. I'm not to run baal indefinately to get gear, not going to twink, not going to use holy freeze, shock, anything. I just wanted to try something new and challenging. I'm just going through the game using what I find.

Thank you to those that offered constructive advice. Sad that half of everyone's suggestions were try something else...

@Wayne, just curious but why did you imbue a wirt's leg? Also, thanks for your suggestions, I hadn't even thought of turning it into a blue and rerolling it.

19. Insane Wayne

Many of my retired characters have tons of leftover resources (imbues/socket quests/thousands of gems/runes, etc...), usually because some tournament rules exclude certain items/quests. (For example, your All Alone tourney.) Sometimes I waste those resources to experiment with in-game item modification, mostly for laughs.

Such a challenge would be an increasingly grueling task, even in the early stages, and especially if you don't use a merc. Untwinked, you won't even have access to Iths for a while. A decently equipped merc could get you through, but you'd notice that your own damage would pale in comparison, and that's not really in the spirit of your build, if I understand you correctly.

Runewords won't work in Legs, you'd need off-weapon CB. Untwinked, that can be be problematic, but with some luck you might find Goblin Toe or Rattlecage, for starters, and then make some Blood Gloves. If I were you, I'd allow a small arsenal of socketed Legs, placed into the stash with ATMA, and use gems as you acquire them, attempting to improve the Legs with rerolls, always using the best Leg appropriate for your current level. The eventual goal might be a "any decent prefix" Leg of Evisceration, with Sols/Shaels added. I'd want at least 35% CB, preferably double that, and a source of reliable OW, or at least PMH. Finishing off the monsters will be the hardest part, as CB loses its effect.

Maybe a barb, pump up Str, with excellent crowd control, max Battle Cry, max Mastery, critical/deadly strike will help, 5+ Find Item for increased resources. Man, this is one tough build, but I think it would be possible with enough CB and +integer damage.

20. mwille

mwille IncGamers Member

Since you want to do physical damage, something you might consider is loading up on +min dmg items in addition to a 3 socket leg with +min dmg jewels/runes. Since the min can never be more than the max, each item that gives +min dmg will also be raising the max by just as much (once the original max is reached). With enough such items, it's possible to get your base damage over a hundred BEFORE skill modifiers. Of course, playing untwinked will greatly limit the availability of those items.

Just a thought.