Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What should I socket Ik maul with?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Cinfull, May 18, 2008.

1. Cinfull

Cinfull IncGamers Member

What should I socket Ik maul with?

What is best to use to socket the IK maul?

2. krisjeh

krisjeh IncGamers Member

Re: What should I socket Ik maul with?

depends on your build of course. if you are a whirly barb then I think you need a shael or at least a 15ias jewel to hit the last breakpoint, but I'm not sure either way.

3. umbrik

umbrik IncGamers Member

You're a WW or a Conc barb?

Anyways, if you're a ww, you should go for 40%ED/15%IAS Jewels since you reach the last breakpoint at -60.

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  4. Spankeh

Spankeh IncGamers Member

Yeah but for the possibility of ever obtaining a 40/15, youd be much better off getting a griefz and beastz for a tenth the price of that jewel

5. accipite

accipite IncGamers Member

35/15 = IST

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  6. umbrik

umbrik IncGamers Member

That was very wise of you.

Shael is absolutely a cheap and good choise
    Any 15 IAS jewel with a prefix is better though.

7. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

Whirlwind only needs two Jewels of Fervor to reach the 10FPA limit, IIRC, and there's no way a Barbarian alone can reach other attack limits without Faith on a Rogue (Ice, presumably). With it, you still only need to double Fervor it, regardless of the bow roll. So, in short, never waste Shaels in an Immortal King Stone Crusher since there are plenty of those jewels out there - I happen to have two myself sitting unused on my Paladin.

8. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

I my experience shaels are a lot more common than jewels of fervor. But I run countess a lot. Also note that shaels can only increase attack speed when put in a weapon, while a jewel of fervor does it in any socket. When you double shael the maul and put a jewel of fervor in the helm you do reach 12 frame zerk.

WW does not have a 10 fpa limit. It is 4 fpa per weapon.

9. Mungo

Mungo IncGamers Member

If you are a WWBarb you need to get to 69% on weapon IAS to hit the last breakpoint (4 frames 6.2 attcaks per second). As the Ik Maul has 40% IAS already on it, you need another 29%. Sheal runes give 20% IAS, Jewels give up to 15%, a second mod is nice but can be expensive, so mix and match what you have or can afford, just remember that only on weapon IAS works on a WWbarb.

10. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

I got the non-Whirlwind attack FPA mixed with Whirl's. It's the other way around, but the non-weapon slots I disagree totally with.

Runes only have a single effect, so when placed in a weapon jewels can allow a Shael to be used for hit recovery. Furthermore, higher runes can give DR/MDR, physical resist, and other bonuses that can't be gained otherwise. When you add in the jewel bugs, it's usually safer to place the only two Fervors you need into the weapon, since it has two slots open. Expense and availability are different issues, and I've crafted several Fervors after posting them in trade threads without response. I suppose, though, I could trade for low IKSCs cheap and socket them, but would anyone trade for them back?

11. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

But I have 10 shaels. The countess drop so many of them that it isn't even funny. Therefore, unless your jewels have favourable mods other, I would rather just go with shaels and be done with it.

12. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

Sols are more common than Shaels, MDR is pretty pointless, and using Bers on an IK set is a waste.

AFAIK there are no bugs related to the fervor mod.

An how much response do you get for your Shaels? At most you get a pgem or 2 for either. I'd still rather keep the fervor jewel for a build that can use OIAS.

13. NitecryXI

NitecryXI IncGamers Member

what about a concentration barb?

what should the IK maul, the helm and armor be socketed with?

14. NitecryXI

um... anyone pls?

15. alphaz

alphaz IncGamers Member

This thread is old. I think for conc barb you need as much IAS as possible.

16. NitecryXI

for the maul, wut about boosting the physical dmg of the maul by 2 ohm? or 2 perfect skulls to increase the leech (due to lack of physical dmg and thus low leech)?

wut about the helm and armor?

17. ancalagon

ancalagon IncGamers Member

I think concentrate is capped at 9 fpa speed, thats 2.7 attacks per second. Easily achievable with a Phase Blade and a few IAS, otherwise you are looking at insane unrealistic amounts of IAS. My Cranium Basher needed 300 IAS to reach 9fpa.

If I had a Grief PB, I wouldnt waste it with Concentrate though ,,, its weak damage is better suited for fast attacks like WW or Frenzy, less damage but more speed = more damage over time.

I'm curious as to how many people actually use Concentrate or center a build around it.

Its incorrect. First of all you need 60 IAS assuming your weapon has base speed of 0. Secondly thats only on 2 handed weapons (2 handed swords require less as are treated as 1 handed weapons for WW)

Ogre Maul has base speed of 10. With the IK Maul's bonus, thats -30. So you need extra 30 IAS to bring to -60 breakpoint. You were close, but your derivation was wrong.

2 handed weapons: -60
    1 handed weapons and swords: -35

18. Barloc

Barloc IncGamers Member

Well, as far as a single handed weapons go, greif phase physical damage is monstrous, and higher then your Cranium Basher. The crushing blow on your weapon is gg vs monsters but you can get decent CB from other sources too.

Also, as far as ww goes, I don't think you can equal the damage with any 2handers when equiping a pair of greifs+fort.

People that build around grief phase are PvP. But for some melee builds, greif has poison and that is bm/people gotta whine about it.

Actually, there was nothing wrong with the previous explanation. That maul simply needs a total of 69% on weapon IAS to hit the final breakpoint, based on the calculators. Also, the calcs go to the exact% even tho we don't see items sliced down that small. (-59 2H , -34 1H).

EDIT: However, the small % does make a huge difference if we were looking at a greifZ- since 34% will allow you to hit the final breakpoint, and this makes a huge difference in rolling and in trades. So if the calculators are wrong then so am I.

19. ancalagon

ancalagon IncGamers Member

Cranium Basher will give 100 CB with Guillaumes and has 620 base damage. Higher than Grief.

EBOTD Thunder Mauls / War Pikes / Great Poleaxe / Cryptic Axe / Giant Thresher. Makes Grief damage seem so puny. Grief is for PvP, you said it yourself. PvM Whirlwind I like other swords / runewords or badass 2 handers.

[/QUOTE]

20. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

You mean 620 MAX damage. The average damage of a Grief is normally higher than Cranium's average damage.