what should i give my a5 merc?

zooply

Diabloii.Net Member
what should i give my a5 merc?

this guy is going on my pvp bone nec i'm building. if i wanted to be practical i could have went with a holy freeze merc (probably the best choice) or might merc. but, i wanted something a bit different. i get tired of a2 mercs all the time. so choosing between the other 3 merc types, i went with barb. i'm already a caster so i don't need a rogue necessarily, and a3 is terrible most of the time:sad2: also, i don't plan to really use my merc for dueling anyways, as it's bm and i don't wanna buy him back every time i die

right now he's wearing sazabi's set just cause i wanted to put him in a full set:tongue: but i'm wondering what would be the best gear for him

helm: arreats, or dream
armor: bramble or fort for the best, if not probably g-angel
sword: last wish looks really good with the aura, but SIX hr? ouch, especially considering he's more for fun really

i think 3 auras on a barb would be cool but, there's no life leech in that, and plus i dunno what's the most efficient for him in regards to damage & staying alive, especially since i'm not supporting an army lol

Darker Realm

Diabloii.Net Member
As of 1.10+, Act 3 Mercs are only bad if you don't have the right gear for them, although you have to be quite wealthy to get good gear.

Pause on the word "best". Although there may be a "best" for a specific build, there is generally no "best" because it depends on the strategy you plan to use in fighting monsters or dueling.

The items you have named are very nice for a summoner, but you might have different things in mind for a bone necromancer. I have no experience at all in regards to a bone nec with a barbarian merc, but a few things you might want for sure for tanking ability:

-Cold Damage - to slow monsters down. this may or may not come from a weapon, for Fort has chilling armor.
-A Holy Fire or Lightning Aura to annoy monsters

For your build something nice would be:
-Eth Dream
-Eth Fortitude
-Eth Oath Colossus Blade, Colossus Sword, or Balrog Blade

On the Oath weapon, it would be a creative idea if you want your merc to shoot out Bone Spirits while you also shoot out Bone Spirits.

Eilo Rytyj

Diabloii.Net Member
Using a merc in duels isn't BM at all, they all die in 1 hit anyway. If you WERE to deck out a Barb merc, it would have to be:

eth upped Arreat's Face socketed w/ 15% IAS jewel. Don't use Dream, it's completely overshadowed by Arreat's. Dream blows on a merc, since it'll kill Life Tap and any other curses you have up. That's a very bad thing. Sure, the Holy Shock will attract monsters to him, but with some crafty teleporting you'll be able to keep him between you and the monsters all the time.

eth Last Wish CB. GL collecting the ingredients, though.

eth-bugged Fortitude Sacred Armor. Yeah, it's a long shot, but it's a doozy though.

Life Leech will come from the CTC Life Tap. CTC Fade will make him harder to kill, especially with the super-high defense Fort and Arreats, until Life Tap triggers. The IAS jewel in the helm increases his attack speed from 17 frames to 15. Keep in mind that he attacks twice on normal attack (much like the Act 2 merc's Jab).

Darker Realm

Diabloii.Net Member
Eilo's idea is very good if you want your merc to be strong, to be both robust and a killing machine.

Your job is then to figure out what you want: Do you want a very Strong merc? Or do you want a merc that has either has special abilities (from either skill or equipment) you could take advantage of, or would take the burden off of your bone necromancer, and either one of these be reasonably strong for killing monsters?

zooply

Diabloii.Net Member
ty all for your suggestions :grin: i'll respond in order:tongue:

darker realm: you sure on a3 mercs? i thought the damage they did was paltry, considering inferno is bugged:sad2: i like the chilling armor suggestion on fort, and completely forgot about that. dream i liked cause of the shock aura, but like eilo said it'll suck to have curses killed off. oath looks like a nice runeword, and not too expensive

eilo rytyj: ya, i probably won't buy a doom lol. i got better things to spend hr's on right now than an a5 merc. but without doom where would i get lifetap from? i'm not putting any points into lifetap myself. arreats is a nice helm and i was also looking at that. as far as them not being bm in duels, i still have to buy them every time i die:undecided:

darker realm: i'm not so much looking for special abilities, as i am just a strong merc that can tank for me, and maybe be a monster magnet too

deademon

Diabloii.Net Member
eth upped Arreat's Face socketed w/ 15% IAS jewel. Don't use Dream, it's completely overshadowed by Arreat's. Dream blows on a merc, since it'll kill Life Tap and any other curses you have up. That's a very bad thing. Sure, the Holy Shock will attract monsters to him, but with some crafty teleporting you'll be able to keep him between you and the monsters all the time.

isnt life tap BM ???

Eilo Rytyj

Diabloii.Net Member
isnt life tap BM ???
It is, but consider this: the Barb merc will only be swinging at 15 frames (unless you give him a LW PB), he'll die in 1 hit, and as a Bone Necro, you wont ever be in range for your merc to hit the other guy in the first place. Your merc also needs to get past the opponent's blocking and defense, and Life Tap only has a 10% chance to cast.

The other guy would have to be sitting still for like 10 seconds and let your merc attack him for Life Tap to trigger. I dunno 'bout you, but I don't see duels going like that.

Such a merc is for use when levelling, or when scooting around PvM.

Actually, I think an aforementioned-geared Act 5 merc is more useful for a Whirlwind Barb rather than a Bone Necro. The reason is that Life Tap can't trigger with WW, and you'd still get the Might aura like an Act 2 guy. He'll have over 4k life with your BO, HUGE defense with your Shout (even with only 1 point +skills), and crank out decent damage as well.

Lyrs

Diabloii.Net Member
For pvp, an A1 Faith Roque would work just as well. Just make sure to have gumby out to help stack. Put a Giant Skull on her for knockback.

bogie

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, you dont need might with a bone nec, so why not switch over to EBoTD? You could get some very nice damage paired with an eth fort, and I see the confuse on dream working better than 10% to cast lifetap, make the dream in a barb helm with +3 bash and +3 stun and your set!

Bogie,

zooply

Diabloii.Net Member
well i wasn't using might for me as i was just to pump some extra damage out of him =P. that's what i meant by the efficient part. a doom would be great if i had skellies, but since he's a one man army, would he'd be better off with the mods of a different sword, like an ebotd as you said.

preferably i'd like these for him: life leech, resists, monster magnet aura, good damage, and just overall survivability

bogie

Diabloii.Net Member
hmm, I was voting for the EBOTD for the higher damage it offered, as off wep ed% (ie. might) goes down as you stack on more, but now that I think about it, having a merc that does 60-70% CB on his wep would be a better choice for about the same damage.

zooply

Diabloii.Net Member
wow. thanks for pointing that out on the cb lol. i checked on arreat summit and that is a BiG cb boost. the sword and helm i haven't really decided yet, but i'm pretty much going with fort for the armor. too many sexy mods to ignore:thumbsup:

sword: grief, ebotd, last wish, hoj(?), destruction(?).... btw, any particular swords i should look for? i'm figuring 2-handed swords, since he can only use 1 anyways

helm: arreats, dream, or i got a spare giant skull and veil of steel

edit: off-topic, but was just thinking: what's the point of just carrying a sword 2-handed vs. dual wielding or sword & shield? 2 swords gives you more damage and stats, and a shield gives you blocking