Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What?s the optimal MF level for looking for gold items? if

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by NSXdreamer, Apr 3, 2004.

1. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

What?s the optimal MF level for looking for gold items?

Since MF for gold item suffers so much when high compare to yellow and blue items, is there such thing as a optimal MF level for gold items, where you?d get high enough MF for more non-white item to drop, but not as much to have chance for blue and yellow overwhelm chance for gold?

2. Vajar

Vajar IncGamers Member

I don't like going above 350-450 of MF on a single character. Thats my personal choice, however - not much statistics behind it. If I have an open weapon switch, add about 125% to that (rhyme + gull).

3. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

The optimal value is whatever you can get without compromising your killing power too much. As for an actual number, that's all I've got :p

4. ShadowStone

ShadowStone IncGamers Member

Well I won't go through the exact statistics, because I'm too lazy to :)
    Anyways, I like to have around 400-500% MF on my characters (especially on my Hammerdin). The whole point behind it is to have an optimal MF while maintaining the same killing speed. If your killing speed goes way down for only an additional 50-100%, keep the original equipment because in the long-run you'll do more runs, hence, more items to find. I suppose it's more of a personal preference. I've seen people who like only 300% and others who strive for 700+%.

Edit: Kaysaar beat me to it in fewer words ;)

5. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

I'm not acutally asking this to tweak my MFer, since it's doing fine :p . It's more of a theoretic question that just poped into my head a while ago while looking for things on the drop calculator. I'm more of a go with where my heart is player, so I have no idea how to work the math on this, and will have to rely on you guys. :)

6. TekkaZeroX

TekkaZeroX IncGamers Member

I have 758 mf on my sorceress right now. I think more mf helps. I have seen a jump in uniques and sets with Pindleskin jumping from 510 mf.

7. Mr_McGee

Mr_McGee IncGamers Member

More MF is always better aslong as you can still kill stuff

8. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Optimal MF depends on your killing speed. If you kill fast, more MF is optimal, if you are slow, then use low amount :)

Now it has been said so many times...better to believe :D

9. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

there is no mystical MF amount where suddenly you are more likely to get gold items. more MF always => more blue items, which in turn means that you will get more yellow, green, and gold items. of course if you aren't killing monsters, then they can't drop items. so, you want your MF to be as high as possible while still allowing a reasonable kill-speed. you will almost certainly have to sacrifice something to get a high MF%... it could be resistances, DR, AR, damage, life, etc. the important thing is to still be able to survive and kill fast. for many characters, it is enough to have 350-500% MF. due to diminishing returns, you aren't getting much for your investment after this point. more MF will still give you a higher chance of gold items, but things you sacrifice in safety and kill-speed for most builds to get higher than about 500% are not worth the minimal rewards. hope that helps!

10. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

I think what NSX was thinking is that if you have too much MF, your chance of getting blues or yellows keeps trying to increase and ultimately reduces your chance of gold. I can reassure you that is not the case. The game checks item quality in this order:
    Unique - Set - Rare - Magic - Superior - Normal - Low Quality

And so with more MF you are only increasing the chance of an item to be blue or yellow if it has already failed to be gold.

11. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

Ditto. I have seen the same jump going from low 400s to 681 on my Pindle sorc.

crg

12. DX-Crawler

DX-Crawler Banned

I did one exprun with my zealot last night. He had an MF so high as 43%.
    And I did Countessrun and pitrun on players5 and run all the icecaves in act5 on players3 and I found 9 uniques and 5 sets.
    You can have low MF and still find a fair amount of Golden items it's all about luck which you can increase with sime nice MF

DX

13. nikstone

nikstone IncGamers Member

Well this is an information I was looking for a long time now, just forgot about it.
    Thanks, Thrugg