Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What Patch?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Tok97, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Tok97

Tok97 IncGamers Member

What Patch?

Hello everyone. :)
    I have played Diablo II for the last time around 1 year ago. Want to start again. I want to play Single Player. Im playing Diablo II LoD.
    Now my question : What do you guys think is the most enjoyable/fun patch to play for single player? I hear people saying 1.10 isn't that much of a fun.

What do you think?

2. farting bob

farting bob Banned

I think that 1.10 is the most fun and balanced patch, but some people still like 1.09 for the cheesy beef running.

3. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

I think both "major" patches (1.09 & 1.10) are fun. I like 1.09 the best though. But why not try out both! You can have them both installed at once so..

4. Tok97

Tok97 IncGamers Member

Uhm you can? Explain please? You mean 1.09 with the one charc, 1.10 with the other?
    I think Ill go for 1.09 because I got bored with 1.10 a year ago and I want to get the 'old' feeling again :).

5. Jek

Jek IncGamers Member

I loved the ooooold patches, like back when Lightning Mastery lowered mana cost and all the good things. :-D

6. Tok97

Tok97 IncGamers Member

Yeah I remember that. :) Aaah nostalgia. ;)
    The game was much more fun when it was still new in Classic and you was still exploring the game even before you knew about diabloii.net or even multiplayer.

7. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

Basically. You can install Diablo II upgrade to 1.10 and then install another version and upgrade to 1.09, then you'll have both patches installed in different directories. You can also use some sort of switcher that let's you switch between patches and only have 1 copy installed (use google). Just beware that the the game will only recognize 1 save game directory so you might have to shuffle some files around. If you like 1.09 go with it! I might join you in a bit.

8. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

1.10 is the latest patch. It changes the playstyle and gives you extra challange on Hell difficulty. I didn't like it at first (because my 1.09 chars were not viable), but I started from scratch and enjoyed it later. You have new runewords there and lot of elite uniques. And majority of players play 1.10, so you can compare your characters, play some tournaments, MFL/MFO etc.

9. Jek

Jek IncGamers Member

Yeah, that was the best. I remember playing LAN with two of my friends, I had a Thorns/Zealot using twohanded swords (later I got Fist of Heaven and felt super cool), it was so stylish you wouldn't believe it :lol: . Coupled with the stun/berserk maul barbarian (who need Battle Orders? :thumbsup: ) and a summoner/poison explosion/Dim Vision/Confuse necro (probably thorns+skellies was the reason we could kill stuff, hehe).

We had some epic battles against Andariel and Diablo, suprisingly I don't remember the other bosses being that much of a problem.

Oh my.

Anyone know if there's some quick fix to revert to the old patches?

10. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Actually, rather than have 2 different D2 instillations, you can use the version switcher in the SPf utilities page, and then all you need is to set up the right save folders and 2 shortcuts. The link is in the FAQ i think. it comes with 1.07, 1.09b and 1.10, and you can get more patches if you want.

11. Tok97

Tok97 IncGamers Member

The suckies build in that time was 10 times more fun then the best cookie-cutter build from now. :)
    Aaahh, if that days could come back. ;)

12. Jek

Jek IncGamers Member

Yeah. I wonder if I can complete the game again with a 2-hander Thorn/Zealot... I need to make a fresh install and duke it out! :clap:

13. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Well Solo (he still plays) is trying to do a historical tour of LOD. make a pat in 1.00, gamble duel leech rings and other goodies in 1.06, rack running 1.07 for the godly vita uniques, then cow run in 1.09, and then still be able to do baal runs in 1.10. All with the same character.
    At least it's different.:thumbsup:

14. Tok97

Tok97 IncGamers Member

Hehe, in that time, i didn't even complete the game, NM was to hard. When I defeated Diablo I felt like a king and I was jealous because my brother had a lvl 68 Sorceror in NM dat killed mephisto after dying like 500x. He did like a month to reach that lvl while now you can make a lvl 80 charc in 5 days.

Necromancers were my favourite and I didn't even used spells (who needs them?). Skeletons were stupid to, because they made my computer lag so I went with a Golemancer with a bow. Thought I was pretty clever because I could hide behind my Golem while shooting arrows ;). I didn't even knew what AR was or block rating or anything.

Hehe, a well...

ps, We should make a thread were everyone can post its old, funny memories...or is their already such kind of thread?

15. Jek

Jek IncGamers Member

OMG. I just got a new goal (instead of level 99 necromancer on ladder), claim the head of hell diablo with each of the base classes in 1.00, on HC of course. Now I got a D2 goal that can last a year. :clap:

16. NeckRomancer

NeckRomancer IncGamers Member

FB,

you can't make a pat in pre-LOD. back then beating diablo in Hell netted you the title Baron.

*kicks Farting Bob in the shin and runs away*

@Tok97: You may want to try 1.07, for the nice items and for the challenge (monsters are harder). I plan to play 1.07 sometime in the future just for the heck of it.

NeckRomancer

17. farting bob

farting bob Banned

First may i direct your attention to this part of my post:
    Second, may i direct your attention to these boots:
    *shows neckromancer the unholy boots of BoTD*
    Third, amy i direct your attention to that ambulance. When you wake up, you'll be inside it.
    *casts CoS so neckro cannot see where anything is, then in total silence farting bob severs his shins in 1 kick, then puts him in the ambulance and puts his shins in the post.*

18. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

Synergies are insanely awesome.

-GG

19. corax

corax IncGamers Member

Solo is starting in classic you n00b. you can only get LOD 1.07 onwards. noob. quick everyone join hands and call bob a noob

ive got 1.07, 1.09b and the latest 1.10 installed :D

20. cft

cft IncGamers Member

Well, I have my disagreements with some of the descisions in 1.10, but overall, it's a pretty good version.

I think 1.10 patch is anti-melee, especially in single player where the FE bug remains unfixed. But I play with a hardcode mindset, even if I no longer play hardcode mode. I guess if an occasional unavoidable instant death won't ruin your enjoyment, then it's fun for non-HC melees.

HC melees, well, I think you'd be crazy to go 1.10 unless you also get the mod to stop the FE bug.

With all that said, I tend to favor the spellcasters more than the melees, so I do like 1.10 overall.

1.09 was fun. There were no synergies, so you could make less "focused" builds if you wanted. The monsters were less powerful overall, so you could get away with doing less damage. I also like that there was no huge penalty for trying to get high level.

I played 1.09 mostly HC. My highest was a 67 orb/meteor/TS sorc, who died farming Meph. Levels in 1.09 were a little lower -- my 1.10 chars are lvl 45-50 at the end of normal, and lvl 70 at the end of NM, where a lvl 70 char in 1.09 was probably done with Hell.