Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What paladin would you use with max Conviction?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by lextalionis, Mar 29, 2004.

?

Which Camera View Will/Do You Use

1. Top Down (looking down)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. First Person

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Over-the-Shoulder (from behind)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lextalionis

lextalionis IncGamers Member

What paladin would you use with max Conviction?

I've asked this question in a couple different ways.

Generally speaking I've seen every build with Conviction for Paladins as being either exceptionally slow or exceptionally boring. Or both.

At the same time, I recognize that Conviction is probably one of the best party aura's a Paladin can produce.

Obviously there is the Avenger using Vengence

Obviously the Zealot with maxed out Elemental damage from gear and charms is another obvious choice.

I guess last is the FoH's build. Since it hits a single target and isn't that tough even with maxed synergies.

Maybe I'm missing something else.

2. xpumafangx

xpumafangx IncGamers Member

pure templer with tele kicks alot of butt p vs p. PVSM is a defent story but I would defently go with pvsp careters before I do a pvsm.

3. prion

prion IncGamers Member

well i voted avenegr (i assume you mean PvM) but you could also be a titan zealot and be a tank while partying with orb sorcs, furyzons and whatever.

I imagine whatcking things with vengeance all day would be somewhat boring. So keep a confuse wand on switch. The most compelling reason to do this is confused monsters are funny.

4. lextalionis

lextalionis IncGamers Member

Definately, PvM.

I like the confuse idea that's original.

5. Nevre

Nevre IncGamers Member

I am about to rebuild

I have played an avenger/conviction pally for quite a while now.
    It seems to me that in a one player game they are about the most flexible character in terms of soloing. There is nothing that cannot be killed by this character....in the end.
    In the end meaning, it does take a while.

Really, the point of conviction is to provide your party with an aura.
    Its an aura which is useful primarily to casters.
    I think it best then for a conviction pally to be able to tank as well.

As a tank, the only thing that keeps my pally alive is life tap.
    Life leeching in hell seems pretty futile with my paladin and as you all know being a tank these days is murderous. I dont have very high life (only around 1300) but even another 700 life or 800 life would just keep me alive for 1.5 more seconds as my *** is handed back to me on a plate by the nasties in hell.

So, lifetap, essential to tanking!
    Lifetap can be had from Draculs or Exile. I have only had Draculs. To trigger it you need to hit often. Hitting often means zeal.

In poorly written conclusion
    For Soloing ; Avenger is good fun, not fast but steady (and you can have zeal on switch for getting life tap set on a bunch of nasty monsters)
    For Party; Maybe a zealot. Furthermore with the zealot you can stack up on crushing blow and static or whatever and really hurt the bad guys)

6. cthrag

cthrag IncGamers Member

I'd go with a zealot all the way.

I've got a pvm conviction zealot with conviction, holy shield, defiance and sacrifice maxed (only 1 point in zeal), and he's great.

The points in sacrifice give him enough physical damage to leech life effectively; this plus his massive defence (and, of course, 75% blocking) makes him largely immune to physical attackers. Elemental damage is largely harmless due to maxed resistances (with thundergod's vigor on, black souls in hell heal him). The only threat is magical damage; unravellers in act 2, and succubi and claw vipers in act 5 all hurt quite a lot.

Still, he's by far the best tank I've ever had, and he kills at a very reasonable rate too.

7. KruxDeValor

KruxDeValor IncGamers Member

if i had the time, and the resources i would make a conviction zealot. the idea is to stack -targets defense + the lower defense granted by conviction. instead of using elemental charms use max dmg with life as you would with a regular zealot. and either a botd or beast caddy / warspike, you would have less damage, but i feel confident you will hit with at least double the frequency of a fana zealot. this is only conjecture but it seems to me like a worthwhile idea.

8. Eisirt

Eisirt IncGamers Member

I have an Avenger/Zealot hybrid...gives me best of both options. I just had to give in a bit on the Holy Shield....for now. ;-)

I can kill things in so many different ways...

Sacrifice is a blessing vs manaburn-packs....

9. strength_honor

strength_honor Banned

Maxing Convicition is such a waste

all it do is -Defense after lvl 25. Which is pretty useless against most Melee PvPer. In PvM, Ignor Target Defense solves any problem already.

10. Ulric

Ulric IncGamers Member

Zealot with Gimmershred and Conviction ROCKS. Its nice to be able to kill everything with one skill. For long time, I had to switch to vengence whenever I faced PIs, but NO More!

11. slam

slam IncGamers Member

how can you be a reliable tank when you're a titan and have minimal life?

12. cthrag

cthrag IncGamers Member

I'd think that a lot of pvm builds aren't going to have more than +5 to skills anyway...they can get +2 from HoZ, +1 from an annihilus and +1 from highlord's wrath. Maybe an extra +2 from their armour, but quite possibly no more than that. And with that gear you need 19 points into conviction to reach skill level 25.

So maxing conviction, or at least coming very close (17+ points) would in my opinion be to avoid if you want to reach skill level 25.

13. prion

prion IncGamers Member

You alter the build :D
    And your friend should be killing pretty quickly.