Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

what odd personal rules do you play with?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by HBeachBabe, Apr 13, 2005.

1. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

what odd personal rules do you play with?

While all of us here confirm to a set of general guidelines on playing D2, we all play this game slightly differently. Some of us always do full clears, some always play at P8, some never play paladins, etc. What little quirks do you play, be they personal rules for classes or the order you play your characters or your ratio of leveling to MF runs.

Some of mine are:
    Paladins will never use poison damage. It's just not appropriate for a warrior of the Light. (Fetid Sprinkler is the sole exception)
    Assassins will always use dual claws. Always. even my Blade Fury 'sin. If I want to use a sword or a club I'll play a barbarian or a druid.
    I will never play pre-1.10 just to find items no longer in the game and bring them forward. Bliz removed them for a reason (presumably balance issues) and they will not be used by my characters.
    I will never mule off quest items to be used earlier in the game than they would be normally found (i.e. twinking a starting character with Khalim's Will or a Horodric Cube)
    But that's just me...

2. Toppo

Toppo IncGamers Member

Well, I go for the biggest baddies as fast as possible. I like to think that after Baal & Co have been killed maybe the other people in the world (yes, I like to think there's more people living in the Sanctuary than just the few townsfolk) could finish the less powerful nasties by themselves(?). So, that usually means I wont venture off to those side areas unless mfing/leveling (Pit, Ancient Tunnel).

And I also use only 1.10 itamz.

3. frosty

frosty IncGamers Member

Play softcore like hardcore (try not to die)

twinked chars shall tackle the game at p8 unless above rule is violated too often.

Play a sept of min. untwinked chars. (max twink 3 items)

4. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

Not exactly a rule, more of a pet peeve. I don't like to use only part of a set, it's either full set or none at all. Thus I don't use gullium's (or however you spell it) face or laying of hand by itself on any of my chars.

5. PinkeyandtheBrain

PinkeyandtheBrain Banned

Well i alsways play on P8 but i refuse to play act 3 on P* cause i hate it. Also i generally like to compleet all quests in a act. For the most part all of my chars have been bighurtystick weilding droods/babas with a zelot and traper thrown n here and their. I am starting to like the sorc and Amazon
    also all of my meele chars use any psn charms that i have reletlessy
    also my hot keys are all on the f1-f12 range n using the scroll feature of my mice for me. :D

6. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

- Keep the game bug free. That means I don't exploit bugs but don't tolerate the FE bug either.

- Chars must be able to take on anythings, skipping enemies is a no-no.

- Usually I don't twink my chars with high end items. I try to find a build that works with mediocre stuff. Originally that was because I wanted to show you don't need windforces to beat hell and that sorta stuck with me.

- All my builds make some sort of sense. (to me) I never play anything completely off the hook like a bowbarb.

- I don't rush any of my chars or bypass areas

- Also I don't use "cheap" tactics or exploits of AI to get my chars through the game. By that I mean luring enemies towards you one by one and stuff like that.

7. Seishinkan

Seishinkan IncGamers Member

I use these "rules" as well. Also, I completely clear every level at least once.

My personal idiosyncracies: I play my characters in order as they stand around the campfire (amazon, assassin, etc.). I play one character until they have finished the game for that difficulty level. For example, I will complete Hell mode for my amazon before my assassin begins Hell mode. In between my "real" characters, I play a mule until it can wear the complete set that it is named for. Currently, I'm working on getting Naj completely dressed.

8. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

I forgot, I use this rule too. I have never parked a critter or simply run past it to avoid killing it

9. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

I will never play pre-1.10 just to find items no longer in the game and bring them forward. Bliz removed them for a reason (presumably balance issues) and they will not be used by my characters.

10. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

Oh yeah, and I *never* use a shield unless there is really no reason not to. (javazon and caster necros are about the only chars that fall under that category).

11. galtzaiLe

galtzaiLe IncGamers Member

. Bugs are not allowed, ie Marrowwalk.
    . I never take the Halls of Pain waypoint
    . If i die, i will recover the body, no matter what it takes
    . No "Save & Exit" to save my... erm, my char :D
    . None of my chars are allowed to wear the Mask-type helms

Sorry for my english :$

12. XDoomasX

XDoomasX IncGamers Member

Hate all chars exept barbs.Cons,ww,zerk,frenzy,throw....Like them all.
    through my hole 4 years of playing the only other class i used was druid, he managed to beat norm that was it :D
    I'm one big sick barb player.
    And worst class i think is sorc :eek: teleport,teleport,teleport..uuu thats fun :rolleyes:

IMO

13. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

I refuse to wear pants when I play. If the character can't, then neither can I. It just doesn't seem polite. :cool:

14. tenaka

tenaka IncGamers Member

These rules are odd? Oh. I thought these rules were normal play and breaking them was odd and cheesy.

I do other 'odd' things like play untwinked HC.
    I don't take advantage of easily avoidable bugs.
    I pick up all the little gems and runes, and cube them.
    I kill Nihilak on all difficulties.
    I start a lot of sentences with the word "I".
    I recognize that Paladins have pants and just can't change them so I wear pants while playing Paladins and don't change them till I exit the game.
    I don't find any good runes. Ok this isn't really a rule it has just sort of happened since 1.10 came out.
    I delete chars that I'm never going to play again.
    I don't MP just to get past a quest I'm stuck on. If I can't get past a quest then the char is done.

15. skoolbus

skoolbus IncGamers Member

I dont really have any rules, except not to use duped/hacked/modded items or anything that cant naturally drop in the game.
    I frequently skip monsters if I know I could kill them but it would take too long, because one time with my zon on hell, Infector of souls was CI/PI/stone skin so my buriza was horrible and my merc useless. I stocked up on arrows and put my shoe on the mouse so I would keep shooting, came back 10 minutes later, he was only half dead... I have better things to do than waste my time killing stuff like this lol

16. water_moon

water_moon IncGamers Member

I hit all way points, map every corner and kill every little bugger. (Even nili, he's fun)

I also pick up each and every item. That's right, I will go back out and pick up that partial stack of bolts, I carry back the cracked sashes, and I ID everything, even those magic claws in ACt 1 normal. (I save my ID scrolls in the tomes I get from bookcases to use in nightmare & hell when I'm sans Cain)

I will only use a rouge as a merc. (I bought them pre LoD)

I have never played a necro (and don't want to) matter of fact my first char was a palidin becuase he was the one true char when it came to beating the devil.

I won't twink until at least Act 2 becuase part of the fun is finding a belt and going "woowho! I can carry TWO rows."

17. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

I always kill Nihlathak....always (smart aleck no good traitor).

I exploit the synergy bug to the utmost. It appears I'm justified after reading that excerpt from changes in 1.10 by Blizz.

I really dislike parking champ packs and boss packs and avoid it all costs, even several deaths. I lost 1/3 of my experience from a lvl 93 character like this. I still don't understand what was insta killing me (not FE or IM).

I accept the FE bug like a chump.

18. Illiana

Illiana IncGamers Member

You guys make me seem pretty normal. :p

When I twink, I twink to the max, including Khalim's will for a starting char. Act 1 normal isn't so exciting that I like to do it the time-consuming way every time I start a new char. Ever tried Cathan's set on a new sorc? It's pretty sweet! At least it lets me use the low level items you usually find when you're mid- to high level.

I have no problem parking monsters if I think they would take too long to kill, or would be too dangerous for my char.

I only play hardcore. Running around naked to get back to my corpse is just not my style.

I don't trade.

I'm tired and am going to sleep now. ;)

19. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

Lets see...
    *In SC, I always retrieve bodies not matter what. I've had some amusing experiences with lots of pink Xs all over an area.
    *All characters must kill Coldcrow. When I first started playing, she was the leading cause of character deaths, so I have it out for her. Even Clyde from the Survivor Touney eventually went back for her before taking on Baal.

20. PyroStock

PyroStock IncGamers Member

1st time I played Normal through Hell, was untwinked offline MP... and we found very few uniques/set items, almost all crap. :( So now I cram MagicFind on all my characters & Mercs from start to finish, especially in MP. I aim for 250MF+ before weapon-switch and Merc, less if untwinked, while still having good life/resists/damage. Only at the Ancients can they change to optimal killing gear since MF is useless there.

HC characters are also skill-built to be party-friendly. So my new L17Paladin will be a Medic-hybrid who must also kill fine solo. The most party-friendly skills an Amazon has are FrozenArrow, SlowMissles, Valk and Decoy... so my Amazon has/uses them. I'm thinking FrozenArrow+PoisonJavelins. Act2Mercs are favored for their party-friendly aura/tanking, not for their killing power since I hate a Merc out-killing me.

No overpowered builds (Hammerdin, pure Blizzard, etc) or cookie-cutter clones. None of my builds follow/match any guide.

Older HC characters get the best items, since they've survived longer they deserve it. This includes taking items off newer characters. Untwinked characters stay completely untwinked until they finish Hell.

Have at least 1 HC character of each class. If the only one I have dies a new one is started.

Kill any monster who hurts me, especially those who make me go into FHR.

Pick up all gems and runes. Keep the best of each unique/set item, no matter how crappy. Collect White Elite HolyGrail for socket and imbue options.

I will never play pre-1.10 just to find/make items no longer in the game and bring them forward.

Never mule off quest items. No trading. No dupes/hacks/mods.