Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What now for my skelliemancer?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by 10 Speed, Mar 27, 2004.

1. 10 Speed

10 Speed IncGamers Member

What now for my skelliemancer?

I'm at level 73, and here's what skills I have now:

20 rs
    20 sm
    1 in all others except fire golem

1 in all curses

1 teeth
    1 bone armor
    20 corpse explosion

I have 3 skill points saved up so far, and nowhere to put them. I'm thinking my best option is just to pump a curse. I won't have enough skill points to pump a bone skill, and I won't have enough to max anything else. I could put a few more in mage, but I'm not sure that would be worth it. Any thoughts?

2. Jay20016

Jay20016 IncGamers Member

You could do a few into Mage (say 1 or 2) and get about 5 mages(with items) which can help keep enemies off of your back, their damage isn't great, but they are useful sometimes.

You could also think about putting points into Bone Wall for a better bone armor. Rather than max armor, if you put the points into Bone Wall, you'll have a higher amount of damage reduction for the same skills. :)

Just curious, but what kind of items are you using and what is your +skill bonus? That will be a huge factor in what to get next.

3. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

I would go and max Mages...putting only 1 or 2 points is just wasting those points. If not Mages, then go with Bone Wall...since you have Bone Armor already.

HoSv1

4. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

Mages, Bone Wall, CG or GM are all possible

5. TheKbob

TheKbob IncGamers Member

Let us not forget the possibility of pumping attract and decrep to increase curse time lenght.

~Kbob

6. Bonifar

Bonifar IncGamers Member

Ce!

CE! This is the uber necro skill... like your credit card "dont leave home without it"

7. jmprockstar

jmprockstar IncGamers Member

Dude, he maxxed it already.

I'm with mages. They're collective fire power is good against bosses. I like to bonewall oblivion knights and just let the mages work on them, sometimes. It's a way of avoiding the Iron Maiden problem. Plus, I like to have a lot of poison and cold ones to chill and PMH.

8. 10 Speed

I don't really want to address gear in this thread (because the replies will be "get better gear!") I'd rather talk about something I can address right now, skills. The build is basically complete at this point, but there are extra skills sitting there. I don't like mages quite as much as they are often cold and cold mages screw up my CE chains. Ice cubes are no good. CE is uber in games with one or two players. I don't have a ton of plus skills gear, but it's something I'm working on. Right now, I'm doing hell pit runs at level 74. The speed isn't great, but my might merc continues to level up, and I'm pretty safe during the runs. I have good gear on other characters that I don't want to mule over, so at this point he's going to be more or less self-equipping. I have about +5 to all skills, a white runeword wand, and a +2 to summons amulet. Nothing special, but it gets the job done. For now.

9. k_dash22

k_dash22 IncGamers Member

I agree, you've under-estimated the power of MAX lvl skeleton mages. I've maxed them out and now they compliment my might merc and skeletons. Not all i have to do is run through areas, wait about 5-10 seconds and move on...

What curse do u use? I have put only one point into 1 curse, and thats AMP DAM. I have no use for other curses. But heres a tip... If u use clay golem and it hits with a slowing attack, cast decrep and use ice mage... u'll slow that monster to a point where they can hardly move. Do as u will.

Oh yes, i plan on maxing iron golem... if that makes a difference?

10. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Still a waste of skill points.

11. 10 Speed

I might do mages. I have the other curses for special cases. Amp, Dim Vision, and Decrep are all 100% necessary. On top of that, lower resist is nice, terror is useful from time to time (good to push monsters out of enclosed spaces). Attract and confuse I don't really use, but I had the skill points so why not. They might be useful or fun at some point. Iron maiden and weaken are useless, but required for decrep.

You really could make a variant of this build that uses 10-15 points of ce and maxes mages, skeles, and mastery. You could save two points by not taking attract and confuse, though you'd want to get lower resist. You could have a solid ce and mages nearly maxed by level 75 with a build like that.

12. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

Iron Golem is dead...I have maxed IG and GM...big waste...I'd much rather have max mages and 10 corpse explosion...IG is no where near what it was in 1.09

13. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

That I knew. I transferred my 1.09 Meleemancer who used Max IG. I was constantly tanking for my IG. Making sure he didn't die became a fulltime job. It is a shame to see how far the mighty have fallen. :hanky:

14. spartacvs

spartacvs IncGamers Member

I'll say max dim vison. Slingers (and all others throwers) can be a threat. And your 1 pt unsynergised bone armor isn't going to change much. See my guide for more details:

I have tried many necromancer builts: pure summoner, summopoisoner and summoboner. Summoboner is interesting but I found magic spells te be weaks if not synergised. Summopoisoner is very good but you need expensive items to be really effective (death's web wand and bramble runeword
    armor). Right now I play a summoner that rely mainly on skeletons warriors and corpse explosion (CE) as his offensive skills. I like it so much that I decided to write a guide.

This built is strictly for PvM and based on 1.10 patch.

PROS:
    - Little item dependant;
    - powerfull;
    - fun to play;
    - versatile;
    - good to help others with your curses;
    - safe (I hate dying and, with a necro, it's worse because you have to rebuilt your army).

CONS:
    - No real major drawback but see comments below.

COMMENTS:
    - Spells are more spreaded than some other builts (doesn't really matter because only summoning skills need to be improved);
    - still have to raise a army (not as worse as a pure summoner);
    - not very viable without a mercenary so it's a cons or a pro, depending if you like or hate the mercenaries;
    - overall not the fastest killer but still very good;

- not the best for magic finding but still very good for two reasons: works on almost every situations and little gear dependant so you can use mf items easily.

ABREVIATIONS:
    AD: amplify damage
    CE: corpse explosion
    DV: dim vision
    lvl: level
    merc: mercenary
    pt: point
    skel: skeletons

SKILLS:
    max skel
    max skel mastery
    1 pt up to revive
    1 pt up to summon resist

max CE

1 pt up to lower resist
    max DV

Total: 95 points (lvl 85)

After, if you reach that lvl, I suggest to add one point in the following skills, at your preference:
    clay golem, summon resist, decrepify and attract (highly recommanded).
    It is important to put only one pt into AD because it increase it's radius and it overide DV.

STATS:
    strengt: I put 118 points there in case I want tu use marrowalk boots but you can put less (btw, for runewrords, great hauberk armor needs 118 str);
    dexterity: base (right now I put a few pts into it so I can use ali baba);
    vitality: all you can
    energy: base

MERCENARY:
    Early on, I suggest a act2 defensive merc (defiance aura) that will provide more defense for your skels.
    When you reach nightmare, hire a act2 offensive (might) merc and make sure to give him the best defensive equipment (defense, resist, faster hit recovery, life leech, damage reduction, ...) you can afford for him. You only really need him to kill your first monsters for bodies. If he dies, your skel loose the merc might aura and, therefore, a big part of their offensive power so make sure he stay alive.

GAMEPLAY STRATEGY
    Always have a clay golem raised.
    To get bodies, use decrepify so your merc can make the first kills. You can go to act1 or use act5 anya town portal if it's open and raise the bodies on the ground.
    On normal gameplay, cast AD all over the monsters and, when the first body drop, start to cast CE.
    If you need, cast DV on the edges of the screen, then AD where's the fight and then CE.
    Use mages and revives only in open area (they can block your skels). Use revives where there is curses caster (iron maiden is not good for you your merc) or for taugh fight (like council hell).
    For bosses, use clay golem and decrepify. It slow them a lot so they don't kill your minions (and yourself).

DEVELOPMENT STRATEGY
    First, max skel and mastery (one point each other giving priority to skel). Make sure you have AD for Blood Raven).
    Get golem, golem mastery and summn resist when available.
    Put points into curses when available to get decrepify asap.
    When skel and mastery are maxed, max CE and DV giving priority to CE.

For those who are relatively new to the game and want to know what lvl you should do quests, here's a simple guideline: in normal, you should start doing baal runs at lvl 25 or later. Go in nightmare at lvl 35 or later. Baal run in nightmare should be done at lvl 50 or later. Go in hell at level 75-80. To sum it up: take your time.

EQUIPMENT:
    Top mods:
    + all skills, + summoning spells, + skel or skel mastery spells;
    recommanded:
    + mana, mana regeneration, + life or mana after each kill, + life, resist (at least, you should not be in the negative), faster run-walk;
    optionnal:
    + p&b spells, magic find, + life regeneration, + light*, faster cast rate, faster hit recovery, teleport, damage reduction;
    * when you walk, you lead your army, therefore, fast monsters can be over you before you see them and retreat leveing your "bodyguards" dealing with them.

It can be a good idea to use 3 trang set items (more if you wish). Therefore you can use firewall combined with lower resist for monsters with a very high physical immunity or if your army cannot reach them.

You or your merc should not use items that have:
    - Cold skills, because you can't do nothing from chunks of melting ice cubes;
    - curses (eg delirium runeword helm) because it can override your own.
    - slain monster rest in peace, poison explosion, ... You need those bodies.

Q & A
    Q: Why maxing DV?
    A: Many throwers are dangerous and can shoot you from more than a screen away. So you don't necessary see the monsters that attack you. More points in DV increase it's radius. So the tactic with DV is to cast it on the edge of the screen to affect monsters beyond your line of sight. You move forward, recast DV and so on. Furthermore, DV duration is cut by 1/2 in nightmare and 3/4 in hell and more points in DV also increase it's duration.

Q: Why not maxing mages?
    A: Many says mages are not good but personaly I don't agree with that. Almost all the different builts have one point into revives. With skel mastery already maxed, the 19 points into mages are worth it. Unfortunately, mages, without lower resist are like skel without AD: not as effective. This built really rely on the combination of skel + CE using AD as your offensive curse. AD doesn't help mages at all.

Q: Why maxing CE?
    A: The only offensive skills of this built are skel (with a few revives and mages) and CE. Therefore, it is important to to have both skills at high levels to make sure you have a good killing speed. Furthermore, you are not really tight in term of skills with this built. Many suggest to put points into bone spells instead but I found bone spells to be weak or mana demanding (or both) if not synergized.

Some call this built the blinder (DV). I don't because I only use DV when necessary (many throwers, many strong monsters, revivers or spawners, ghouls, etc.). This is why I called it the summoexploder.

character name on us-east: dux-ducis

spartacvs
    [email protected]

15. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

why do you keep posting this? Next time, just link to the original thread you posted, as you are obviously just copying / pasting this anyway.

g

16. spartacvs

because I make small changes from times to times so I always post the last revision.

17. gvandale

why not update your 'guide', and repost in a new thread titled: 'my guide v2.0' or whatever.

as for your 'guide'...there are a couple of issues.

You say 1 pt into mages. later, you add the 'q' of why not max mages? your reply "Many says mages are not good but personaly I don't agree with that." Isn't that a contradiction?

1. why waste 3 skill points on lower res? (lt / im / lr) when it will do your build no good? 1 pt mages would suggest 3 for lr. wasteful....

2. you say this build is no good for mf'ing, while most of here would say that a summoner with max ce is just fine for mf'ing. You ever actually TRIED it?

3. you say this isn't the fastest killer? while it's pure fire sorc or anything, it is a good killing machine once your skel's have might on them.

4. Go in nightmare at lvl 35 or later. This will get a lot of players that are new to necro's killed quick, which may discourage some from the dark arts in the future. NM should be done (unless going the rush / baal / rush / baal / rush / baal til 80+ route) at around level 45-50 if you want to play it safe.

5. You say to "First, max skel and mastery (one point each other giving priority to skel). Make sure you have AD for Blood Raven)." Again, did you try this? Maxing warrior should be priority #1, while having 1 point into mastery. Then max mastery.

I don't want to sound like an @ss, but I think that sometimes people post 'guides' written off the cuff, and don't realize they could do more damage to newer players then good.

Take care, and please dont' respond in flames. I am trying to help. If you want to rant and rave calling me names, PM me...I'll clear my inbox.

g

:yep:

18. Peacrusher

Peacrusher IncGamers Member

Most people who've played with me and my summoner in ladder games will agree that he's pretty tricked out.

However, I plan on rebuilding my summoner again, fixing the mistakes I've made.

I will max mages they are well worth the points needed. I will put more points into Dim vision to increase the radius for gloams, and I will continue to max CE because it is totally kick butt skill. that all being said I also will have the ability to twink my gear over to new necro summoner when he reaches lvl 80, he will remain untwinked until then.

Gear

Shako
    Trang armor
    trang Glove
    Arm of leo
    Golemlord's head/homonculus
    Marrows +2
    mara's ammy
    +3 summone ammy if I find one....

Maintain lvl 34 skellies and mages and nothing can withstand me..... mwhahahahahahahahaa :evil:

19. gvandale

in my build, base slvl1 dv (slvl18 after items) is more then enough.

g

20. spartacvs

Because it's still in beta but having a link rather than the entire guide is a good idea.
    Mages aren't that bad. They just don't fit with the actuall built. It's all explained later in the answer. Please, read it all before making useless comments.
    Interesting comment. Because lower resist helps others, mainly sorc. Also the built is not really expensives in term of skill points. But I should add your question in the Q&A section.

Read carfully. I said not the best for MF but still very good
    Actually it is the built I use for mf and I like it.

Same as previous.
    ...at lvl 35 or later

Why should I call you names? Have you done soemthing wrong? ;)