Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What normal items to keep?

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Lyndis, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

What normal items to keep?

I'm having trouble deciding what white, normal items to keep. For example, should I keep the Phase Blade and Feral Claws I just found? Would people only want ones with sockets in them? What items are geenrally sought after, and how many sockets should I look for if I decide to use use the cube to add sockets?

2. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

for pb's i keep sup 4-6os ones (grey)

for claws aim for +3trap, +2skills, or +skills with 3os (good for wwsins)

for armors go for eth elite with no sockets and use cube to add sockets (tal thul ptopaz e-armor)
    e-bugging them will give 2xeth mod +1-4sockets (great for merc armors, 3k forts ect..)

most trade forums here dont allow trading e-bug tho, just trade them on bnet :wink2:

3. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

What exactly is the e-bug? can someone explain it to me in detail?

4. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

Generally, an ethereal item provides a 50% bonus on defense, in trade for it being irreparable. The cube recipe that adds sockets to an unsocketed item, however, is currently bugged to provide that bonus again, this bug was introduced when they upgraded to 1.11. This means that you gain 50% bonus on the previous total defense - essentially, a total of a 125% bonus boost over an equivalent nonethereal armor.

This works with the cube recipes for adding helms, armors, and sheilds. The item must be nonsuperior, and unsocketed - you can use the recipes on nonethereal items, but they'll receive no bonus aside from the random sockets.

When this recipe is used, the game produces a random number of sockets, from 1-6. It caps the number at the max for that individual item, which in the case of ethereal elite armors, is 4 sockets. This means you have a 50% chance of getting 4 sockets, and a 16.666% chance of getting 1, 2, or 3 sockets, when using elite armors. The only non-valuable roll is a one - two sockets can be used for Prudence, three sockets for Duress, and four can be used for any number of the top end runewords.

5. SirDooFuss

SirDooFuss IncGamers Member

Edit: Pwnd!!!!

This started just before the beginning of this ladder season, with v1.11 IIRC. Previously, if an ethereal unique armor was upgraded, the item remained ethereal but the ethereal bonus was LOST. v1.11 fixed this problem but seems to have produced the bonus explained above.

Good Luck!

6. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

Haha, sorry about that - I guess I just type faster, or you were distracted, or something. :tongue:

7. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

thanks guys :)

What weapons are valuable to pick up either socketed or white?

8. SirDooFuss

ffejrxx mentioned pb's (phase blades) and claws.

Usefullness can vary between ladder and non ladder.
    On ladder, the 5 socket PB's are good for Grief. Same for 5 socket Berserker Axes. 4 socket eth cryptic axes (elite polearms) are great for Infinity. 4 socket eth Colossus Volgues are good for insight or infinity. 4 socket Grand Matron or Matriarchal Bows with +3 bow skills are great for Faith. Don't use a Larzuk socket quest on an item without knowing how many max sockets that item will get http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/

I find Hell Cows to be the best consistant place to find nice socketed/socketables.

Good Luck!

Note: ffejrxx is wrong about the trading of e-bugged items as described above. I know of no sites where they are banned.

9. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

on uswest std trading topic rules

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=127420
    Rule 5: Thou shalt not post, nor ask for dupes, bugged items or hacks.

Shaperla has temp banned people for listing e-bugged armors on their trade lists in the past

on useast std

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=260177
    Things you may not trade
    Any bugged items

im not sure if the mods there enforce it tho

10. templecrasher

templecrasher IncGamers Member

I don't think they do in East. I never even noticed that they were on the DNT list. There is another forum I beling to that doesn't allow them at all, but I don't know if I'm allowed to mention their name so I won't.

Wow. I never even considered that cubed armors were "bugged". That alway made me think of the zod bug, I guess because it is mentioned specifically. When you call it the "e-bug" it kind of changes how you look at it.

11. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

What about the other elite polearms and spears? Great Poleaxe seems pretty good. Fast yet still powerful.

12. SirDooFuss

Be careful with spears. They're fine for BOTD, but a lot of the ladder only forumulas only work with Poleaxes, not Spears.

Great Poleaxe is fine, but it can be hard to find a 5 socket one (same with giant thresher) since the max for them is 6 sockets.

Regarding the posting of eth bugged armor for trading purposes, I'll check with the other mods here but I don't see why it should be a problem. Nobody is doing anything outside of the norm to make them. Maybe it's an aversion to the word "bugged". :undecided:

13. SirDooFuss

Okay, I have confirmed that the posting of eth bugged armors for trade on this site is indeed a bannable offence. Sorry for any confusion I created.:embarassed:

14. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

oh, so your the one to blame for all the people getting perma-banned for trying to trade e-bugs :dunce: :prop:

they probably deserved it anyway :neener: :laugh:

15. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

Yep...Shaperla banned a grip of people a while ago in the West.