What Necro style is this?

IsThisNamePermanent

Diabloii.Net Member
What Necro style is this?

I was playing with a necro on classic today, CursesFearAgain(lvl92).

I asked him what his skills where, he only answered this max Corpse Explosion max Poison Nova lvl13 Amplify Damage. He had some Revives, but I want to know what other skills he would be using. Any one know this build? I would like to duplicate this build, it looks fun.

bloodyscissors

Diabloii.Net Member
original build it sounds like. I assume he used PN to get revives, used amp with revives for killing and CE to speed it up. CE is one skill I always underrated until I actually started using it, and didn't stop

Beltyn

Diabloii.Net Member
Joy of playing as a necro, there are so many useful skills available.

they may lack an uber skill, barring perhaps CE, but nearly every skill they have can be used reasonably effectively.

Anyone who makes a necro without utilising the curse tree doesnt come close to getting the most out of the character.

Chain

Diabloii.Net Member
Look at the build guides stickied in this forum, for one called "Fearlessone's Poison Nova Summoner Necro Guide." This guide should give you some ideas for skills you could use.

Zodijackyl

Diabloii.Net Member
20CE and 20Amp is standard for any exploder nec though, I don't recommend going lower on amp because it helps get all the surrounding monsters that'll be hit by explosions from around the screen, not just from the center, and it also reduces the number of amp casts. I usually prefer to use either bone spear/spirit as my primary attack or to just make the char a bone tank with 20 bone armor and the rest to wall/prison (not the greatest but some might like it). I strongly recommend against summons because they tend to lag others and get them to hate you, plus summoners are pretty slow and get boring fast (at least for me)

quadeddie

Diabloii.Net Member
Look at the build guides stickied in this forum, for one called "Fearlessone's Poison Nova Summoner Necro Guide." This guide should give you some ideas for skills you could use.
Uh, am I the only guy here that is getting the connection? That nec was Fearlessone, and that guide is for that lvl 92 nec character. I can only assume that the guide is a how-to on that exact char you met.

I would also expect him to see this thread and post here shortly.

Fearlessone

Diabloii.Net Member
Drum roll, spotlight...

...I would also expect him to see this thread and post here shortly.
Hi quadeddie.

For the PN necro build, you have to nearly max, or max PN, and thats 60 skill points. So its impossible to max both amp and CE. My lvl of amp/CE is 13/20 because I've got +7 to all skills. Since I'm obviously a high ladder necro, this allows me extra skills to get protection: summons, with the requisite single point in skelmast and summonresist. Also I have a bit extra into LowRes, which is necessary for a poison necro!!!

Ok, so u make a necro with buttloads of amp/CE. Which is fastest for getting the corpses needed to start the obscene CE cascade: bone skills or poison skills? Well, it usually takes 2 CE's to start to kill off the mob and thats from corpses with a high life - not storm casters or fallen. Most necros go the bone spirit route cuz its good in pvp. Using math, if you have an assembled mob, using spears over spirits is best. (Also, lets forget about teeth, poisexpln and pdagger here, we know they are slowest). I like poison for 3 reasons: 1) few necros use it and if they do, they rarely are maxed, 2) it REQUIRES a curse that many charbuilds in the party can use, and 3) it stops reheal and lowers the life of the mob enough that 1-2 CE's of even a low-life or medium life monster corpse may be enough to bring the rest of the mob down.

Beltyn - its funny that synergies have made necros more powerful, esp in pvp, but they squander that power in pvm by not getting any curses. A necro without curses is a lousy necro, a barb is within his rights not to even bo him.

Demek

Diabloii.Net Member
do u think lr can be alternative (much more party friendly, u increase both psn and fire dmg) to amp ? the poison dmg looks tiny in comparison with ce, but i still have trauma after playing amp/ce/bone necro when barbs refuse to bo party unless i stop ceing and other nasty stuff, i play for fun not for arguing

on the other hand i wonder why ce deals seemingly less dmg in full game, since it should be fixed to hp, in 1 player game i blow up venom lord with 1 ce, in full with 3/4 ..

Fearlessone

Diabloii.Net Member
Amp is superior to LR curse when monsters have high Fire resistance, there was a post over on some other forum about this recently. What I do is use LR for my pnova and any lightning zons, sorcies, foh'ers in the party. Then, just before CE, i cast amp over it.

Hitpoints are supposed to scale up linearly, 8x monster hitpoints in a full game over single player. I too have notice its easier to make kills in smaller games, partly from the ease of my poison and other players skills. But its not several times easier. I find that an amp against fire immunes or lr against most average monsters takes 1-2 CE's if the life of the monsters u blow up are comparable to the rest of the mob (low life monsters die first and provide the first corpses!)

Ignore what some self-centered leeching popper barbs say. They cant hostile u anyways, they so weak, and if they have ww as a backup, then blow them up with the best corpses or bonewall urself in and use IM on them. Same for redeeming pallys: they are lazy, they can pick up some of the mana pots or buy them in town. As a necro, u are first when it comes to corpses, just dont blow up seal boss corpses.

The game has changed from the 'old school' days. It has become amazing how the din and sorc blizzard have restructured the party. Tonite in a game, I was playing with the #1 zon, with my #2 necro and we kept telling some din: "err..we dont need u..hello...do u get it". With all the foh and lr and sorcies and the lightning zon and my pnova necro in that game, we just didnt need a din...

Beltyn

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah but you always have the problems that people like the cookie cutter builds.

Personally I'm being evil and hoping hammers get seriously nerfed in next patch :grin:

IsThisNamePermanent

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm thinking about making a exploder necro with theese skills.

Either lvl 10 or 20 skeleton mastery
Either lvl 10 or 20 raise skeleton
Max Poison Nova
Level 13 Amplify Damage
Max Corpse Explosion

I was thinking about maxing Skelly mastery or Skellies, I don't know if I want more meatshealds (lvl20 skeletons) or strong few skeletons.