Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What necro should i make?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Advocate, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Advocate

Advocate IncGamers Member

What necro should i make?

Sense ive gotten tierd of my paladin im going to make a necromancer, something i haven't done sense 1.08. Now i was wondering, what necro to make? I want a necro that is fun to play, thats the only requirement really.

I was thinking, sense i like meele combat, to make a dagger necro but i just dont like how it looks to run around with a dagger in this game. Therefore im thinking of making an amplify damage necro with meele weapons :surprise:
    I was going to use boneshield as my second skill and put points in the other bone skills to get the synergies for it, but i dont know how good it is.

Other necros i am thinking about is teeth/spirit necro or lower resist together with fire golem and poison nova necro.

Thoughts?

2. SnakeEye85

SnakeEye85 IncGamers Member

im currently playing a bonecaster necro and he is lotsa fun

bone spear, bone spirit, bone wall, bone prison, bone armor etc...

try it :)

3. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

i'll second that, bonecaster rule... iirc ven_nemox made guardian with one of those so they are very viable :)

4. DreamlessDude

DreamlessDude IncGamers Member

A skelliemancer AKA the fishymancer is pretty easy too and can be a nice 1st character as it dont need much items to be a killing machine in hell.

5. Advocate

Hmm, is there a good bonecaster guide? I dont know how to use skills like bonewall and boneprison effectively.

And i was wondering, why not use teeth instead of bonespear as your second attack skill(Bonespirit is the main attack skill right?), sense teeth could take care of hordes of monsters better. Or don't i know what im talkin about?

6. SnakeEye85

well i don´t know of any guide but some people helpfully explained some stuff about this build for me some time ago
    http://forums.rpgforums.net//showthread.php?t=130817

im using Bone spear as my main attack skill and will use bone spirit as my second. Some people do the opposite, thats your decision. Personaly i prefer the crowd control that spear gives me.

7. Advocate

Ok i suppose you can decide what to use as your main attack later, as you are supposed to max all three.

Thanx for the help everyone.

8. SnakeEye85

i would decide ASAP since you will want to max your main attack skill first.

9. Advocate

Hmm yeah. I think ill stick to what you have said, maxing bonespear first after all :).

10. Indemaijinj

Indemaijinj IncGamers Member

If you have the necessary gear you should try to make a commandomancer or "general".

A commandomancer is a skelliemancer, but unlike other skelliemancers (like the "fishymancers") they don't cower behind their minions, but instead valiantly lead the charge.

Since you have been playing a lot of paladins I guess you have some nice melee gear around which will be important, but unlike other melee characters your swarm of minions will prevent you from getting swarmed like other melee characters tend to.

Also you will find that entering melee yourself will make it much more easy to direct your skeletons since your minions tend to switch their attention to the foe you are currently engaging.

Oh yeah, and having natural access to Decrepify and Clay Golem is an invaluable boon. Be prepared to slay Baal with more ease than you have ever thought possible.

You could read The Kbob's commandomancer guide over at the necromancer forum. It does give a lot of pointers on skill selection though his gear suggestions are a bit too expensive for my tastes, but if you do have all those l33t rewnwurd weapons be prepared to harvest the biggest possible reward for them.

11. chaos

chaos Diablo: IncGamers Member

Teeth seems a little weak. Spear and bone will fare much better. Remember, regardless of the number of teeth you fire off, each enemy will only be hit by a maximum of one tooth. :D

If you're still bent on melee, be very conscious of AR problems. You might want to max poison dagger just for the AR bonus, even if you're not going for poison dmg. Good AR gear, which are easily found like the angelic ring/ammy combo, and better things like ravenfrosts are perfect for such builds.

It'll be slow going, cos your dmg will be very low, regardless of your use of amp. Your merc will end up doing more dmg than you, so be prepared for a frustrating melee experience. :p

So try the builds the others have suggested, bone or skellimancer first, and maybe play the melee necro when you're keen on a more challenging game. :D

*edit*

IMPT!!!

There was this bug in .09, where even if you weren't equipping a dagger, but had poison dagger chosen as your attack skill, you'd still get the AR bonus, but not the effects of PD.

Not sure if this'll free up your choice of weapons, but if it does, grim's burning dead is an excellent meleemancer weapon, especially now that it can be upgraded to a giant thresher. ^^

12. Starving_Poet

Starving_Poet IncGamers Member

The poison dagger AR effect isn't really a bug. At least I don't think it is. In the description the skill is taughted as "opening up the melee choices of a necromancer." Of course I could be interpreting it all wrong. And it still works in 1.10. The AR won't show, but ou can hover over tthe spot and see your hit percentages.

13. chaos

chaos Diablo: IncGamers Member

Bug or no, i love it. It really opens up options for melee. :D Thanks for the info. :D

14. Indemaijinj

Indemaijinj IncGamers Member

Another popular choice for non-standard melee warriors is the Baranar's Star that offers a hefty AR bonus besides being over-all awesome.

The Poison Dagger AR bug is a really good idea, but I don't think you need to max it. Putting about 5 points into it might have a major effect as you will probably want a lot of +skills items anyway.

15. Porius

Porius IncGamers Member

I just bumped my Bone Mage guide (there was a question in there that I hadn't answered, anyway).

I hope that helps if you decide to go that way.

Porius

16. Advocate

OK guys i made a bonecaster necro, he now is lvl 21 and im currently kicking some serious *** with bonespear in act 2.
    Dont worry, those of you who made different suggesions, they weren't in vain because i'll prolly gonna make more necros than this one.
    Thanx everyone :thumbsup:

Anyway, which merc do you suggest i get? And i was also wondering how much str i will need.

(btw, anyone noticed that this forum is down like every five min's or smthin like that?)

17. zamoors87

zamoors87 IncGamers Member

U should make a bonemancer, they are the most effective from what iv heard and seen on bnet anyway.

18. Porius

Porius IncGamers Member

I would suggest about 70-80 Str.

I would recommend a Fire Arrow Rogue merc. You will probably be making use of either barriers (Bone Walls/Prisons) or AI curses, and she works well with both.

Good luck!

Porius