What National Holidays Do the US Private Sector Companies Usually Allow?

cleanupguy

Diabloii.Net Member
What National Holidays Do the US Private Sector Companies Usually Allow?

their employees to take a day off? I'm just wondering because some companies are letting their employees take a day off for President's Day whereas some companies do not.

I'm just wondering what holidays are usually considered HOLIDAYS for private sector companies in the US. For example, I know for sure that Thanksgiving day, 4th of July, Christmas, and New Year's day are.

How about your companies?

Dark Matter

Diabloii.Net Member
You have an odd situation in the states.

National holidays are determined by official government decree to celebrate such occasions as independence, the birth of the nation, the creation of a constitution, the birthday of the king, or the day of the national patron saint.

Differences in National Holidays In the U.S.A.
There are no national holidays of this type. Legal holidays, as opposed to national holidays, are days on which banks, schools, or other public institutions and most places of business are shut down. And are brought forth by legislative action or by executive decree. Both houses of Congress and the President designate legal holidays for the District of Columbia and the federal territories but do not declare national holidays. Independence Day (The 4th of July) and other holidays are observed nationwide as decreed by the states. For Thanksgiving Day, the president requests national observance, and the states then, usually, complete the necessary local law. Federal law often specifies certain days as holidays for other purposes.

In order to afford all federal employees 3-day weekends, a federal law enacted in 1968 modified the holiday calendar and the dates of some holiday observances, this took effect in 1971: Washington's Birthday falls on the third Monday in February; Memorial Day, the last Monday in May; Columbus Day, the second Monday in October; and Veterans Day, the fourth Monday in October. Individual states followed later with these national holidays.

U.S. Legal National Holidays
Holiday Calendar

Legal Holiday Date Celebrated
New Year's Day January 1
Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr. Third Monday in January
Inauguration Day January 20 of each fourth year after 1965
Washington's Birthday (Presidents' Day) Third Monday in February
Memorial Day Last Monday in May
Independence Day July 4
Labor Day First Monday in September
Columbus Day Second Monday in October
Veterans Day November 11
Thanksgiving Day Fourth Thursday in November
Christmas Day December 25

giantpinkbunnyhead

Diabloii.Net Member
In the private sector, I think it's up to each company. Our airline observes six holidays a year, although we usually operate flights on three or four of them. On those cases, we earn holiday pay on top of our normal earnings that day.

We get:

Memorial Day
4th of July
New Years
Christmas
Thanksgiving
Labor Day.

Smeg Head

Diabloii.Net Member
We bill by the hour so taking days off hurts us. We get Christmas, New Years, 4th of July, Memorial day & Thanksgiving off. If the work load isn't too bad and the holiday is on a Thursday, we typically get Friday off.

The work load this year is looking to be heavy :clap: I hope it gets worse so I can pick up some overtime :clap: :clap: