Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What makes a special chest special

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Greebo, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Greebo

Greebo IncGamers Member

What makes a special chest special

So I have a question.

I know there are at least 3 types of chests:
    • Normal chests.

They appear at (somewhat) random places, different each time you play the game. White, gray, blue, yellow, green, gold items can fall out of those. Also, they can be empty.

As far as I know, there are 2^32 possible 'drops' out of those.
    • Sparkly chests.

Can be seen at the 'end' of AT, for instance. Always in the same spot, and they sparkle. Never empty, can drop any kind of item.

As far as I know, there are 2^32 possible 'drops' out of those, too.
    • Special chests.

Like the ones in LK. Always in the same spot, not sparkling. Never empty. They drop all items either blue or yellow, no other choice.

As far as I know, there are 2^16 possible 'drops' out of those.
    --------

Now, there are also different kind of chest. Like here, in Frozen tundra.

These two chests are always in the same spot.

However, they can drop white, and they can be empty. Which I think means they are not special chests, like those in LK.

So here comes my question: what conditions must a chest satisfy to be a 'special chest' with 2^16 drops. Clearly, it's not enough to always be there on the map, in the same spot...

--Greebo

2. TheReadMenace

TheReadMenace IncGamers Member

Re: What makes a special chest special

I think the consensus is that the chests in ActV are coded differently considering they were made after the initial game. It's why folks don't rune hunt in ActV.

I believe jjscud did some chest testing in ActV. Hopefully he'll see this and shed some light on the subject.

3. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

There are some chest groups in act 4 that drop ok I believe only they aren't grouped as attractively. Which leaves act 3 with that nice 4 huts of 6 chests in close proximity. Mmmm, special chests, roonz.

4. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

Don't forget the fixed chests in areas like the fifth level of the Countess's Dungeon. Not the quest chest, but the ones in the room before hand. There's also only one poppable in the game labled "crate" there... I've always considered that an old throw back to the "crate ratings" that were given to games in the 80s by how long it took to find a crate in the game.

5. Mardonius

Mardonius IncGamers Member

There is also the chest behind Mephisto (not referring to the random ones in the area).

6. Mungo

Mungo IncGamers Member

Urliks Rune finding guide, in the FAQ, contains a section on chests ( he calls them objects) which you my find helpful :)

7. jjscud

jjscud IncGamers Member

Mungo's right, Urlik's guide has lots of info on chests and other popables. Here are the basics. First there are 7 types of popables, the first four are aptly named type1, 2, 3 and 4. One of those are chests but I forget which one. It doesn't matter for this discussion but if you are looking at Urlik's guide, its the type that can be locked. The other 3 types differ mostly in their drop/no drop odds. I believe any of these four can be randomly placed on a map but also appear in fixed places.

The only other interesting note about those four is that normal chests actually have 2^16 seeds like special chests.

A few other notes, special chests don't sparkle in acts 1-4 but they have a new sparkly graphic in act 5, the easiest one to point out would be the one by bonesaw breakers pack. I originally thought these where all sparkly chests but after sticking my foot in my mouth as far as possible, I found that some where special chests and after a bit more testing this year, that they all were.

As for the last question, what makes a special chests special? That would be D2's level designers. Really, they can't randomly appear, they only appear where they were placed. (all objects have an internal id and this id differentiates between a special chest and a normal chest).

8. el shendee

el shendee IncGamers Member

It seems to have minor mistakes. It treats the Maggot Lair as a sparkly chest when it's not (it's a quest chest).