Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What Lightning Resists does Conviction NOT break?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by d00m2k, Sep 29, 2006.

1. d00m2k

d00m2k IncGamers Member

What Lightning Resists does Conviction NOT break?

I keep reading on these forums that lightning sorcs, while expensive, can run EVERYTHING because (infinity) conviction breaks all lightning immunes. However, I swear I remember some mobs conviction would not break on my javazon.

Has this changed? Or all all lightning resists 115 and under? (if I remember correctly, 85 conviction acting at 1/5 = 17...which means it'd break all immunities 116 and under)

I think there are at least a few 120 resist lightning mobs, maybe I'm wrong. Do facets and griffons make up for this? Do facets/griffons/tstrokes even help with breaking immunities?

2. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Facest, Griffons, etc. cannot make up for this, since its ONLY Convictiona and wands that can break immunites. When immunity is borken or not present, than gear that adds -xx% fire/lightning/cold resistance will reduce the resistances.

You would have to look through http://www.d2data.net, http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/monsters/.

From what i have read there are a few lightning immune monsters out there, that cannot be broken. The reason why Lightning Sorceresses go so well with Infinity is that there really only are very few monsters that cannot be broken.
    Using Infinity with a pure Cold build is near useless due to the so high resistance of cold immune monsters. It a bit bit better for fire immune monsters, but cannot compare to Lightning builds.

3. d00m2k

d00m2k IncGamers Member

You're right, I just tested it in single player: facets/griffons and other gear do not help in breaking immunities.

However, here's another question: do +skills on your merc increase the skill leve of conviction?

Because I know for CTA, with level 1 BO, my +skills affect the level bringing it to a level 10 CTA.

Now a merc, with level 12 conviction, can break lightning immunities up to and including 116. If he had +2 skills from helm, +2 from armor, he would have level 16 conviction, -105 resistance. Acting against immunities, this would break lightning resist up to 121, which means all mobs with 120 and below would be broken for griffs/facets/titans to work. From what I've seen, the highest LI is 120.

Does this work?

4. munchkins

munchkins IncGamers Member

conviction from infinity is level 12, period. there is no way to make it higher

5. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

well there is always a lower resist wand.

6. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

Here's a complete list of all monsters over 100% lightning resistance taken from the Arreat Summit. Almost all of the Lightning Immune monsters are at exaclty 100% (I'm not going to bother to list them all). You'll see some monsters listed more than once depending what act they are in. In addition to these, the special type monsters can spawn lightning enhanced and that give them 75% additional lightning resistance.

Steel Scarab 105%
    Returned Mage 120%
    Horror Mage 130%
    Burning Soul 110%
    Death Beatle 105%
    Scarab 110%
    Steel Scarab 115%
    Bone Scarab 120%
    Fiend 110%
    Dark Familiar 120%
    Jungle Hunter 105%
    Doom Ape 105%
    Temple Ape 110%
    Hungry Dead 110%
    Dark Archer 110%
    Black Archer 115%
    Dark Lancer 110%
    Black Lander 115%
    Horror 120%
    Bone Mage 105%
    Burning Dead Mage 110%
    Horror Mage 115%
    Night Clan 110%
    Misshapen 110%
    Disfigured 115%
    Tainted 105%
    Damned 120%
    Soul Killer 110%

7. d00m2k

d00m2k IncGamers Member

So if WSK is one of the big areas to run, how do pure light sorcs/trappers/javazons deal with the 130% LR horrors?

8. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

The let the Merc do the job or teleport past. Not much choice else.

9. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

Horrors are pretty weak, a well equipped merc takes one down in 1-2 hits.

10. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

MageChick, I was looking for that info (and a Ber :rolleyes:) but gave up clicking through the AS after 5 minutes. Above and beyond the call of duty again. Thank you. :flowers:

11. MageChick

well actually, you have to worry about the 120% ones as well. Infinity will only break up to 116%. But yeah - your merc is still the answer.

You pretty much have to worry about the 115% too I suppose. They won't be immune anymore, but unless you have some additional -enemy resistance, they'll still be pretty tough to kill. (I guess that's why griffon's are so expensive huh?)

No problem, I was planning to do a lightning sorc as my next build (already bought an eth CV infinity - but no griffon yet :cry:) so I kinda wanted to know too. I've kinda put D2 aside for a while though - maybe I'll get around to it next year.

12. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

Why a CV? Your merc will have trouble reaching 210 strength right?

13. Bladewind

with gear like CoH and Andy's head the 210 str req is not that unobtainable... also if its eth its like 200 str req.

also do consider lower resist wands, they don't add much but they might just cut it.

14. MageChick

I really didn't want a CV - I was trying to find a 4os eth great poleaxe myself. Remember, I had a whole thread dedicated to it. But yeah 200 Str istn't too hard to hit at all. I use it with Andy's Helm so no problems there. You can also just level them up to 93 where they'll have 200 str without any help. (I've only done that once)

CoH for a merc??? lost me here. I use a stone AP or a leviathon I found.

But yes, if you use lower resist + infinity you can break all but that one 130% resist monster I believe.

15. Bladewind

Or use a cheap eth Duriel's Shell !

CBF +15 str life def resist ;)