Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What level to start running pits?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by reclinemusic, Jul 29, 2010.

1. reclinemusic

reclinemusic IncGamers Member

What level to start running pits?

Howdy.
    I'm level 72 right now. I just started over on ladder and I'm trying to build up some wealth to upgrade my gear. Wondering if I should be focusing on NM for now, but I just can't resist the temptation to run around in hell.

I'm a meteorb, act 2 holy freeze merc. My gear is:
    random orb +1 Frozen orb
    tal's mask
    tal's ammy
    tal's armor
    wall of the eyeless shield
    tal's belt
    waterwalk boots
    bloodfist gloves (need some magefist)

my merc's gear is quite sad. he dies in 1-2 hits from an enchanted archer in the pits, which always seem to spawn for me
    insight poleaxe (working on getting a 4os cryptic axe)
    skin of the flayed one body
    naj's circlet (sad I know)

Once I get some decent merc gear, is it safe to run the pits or is my level simply too low? Having a bear of a time progressing through hell, as "Help Act 1-5" games are not working out for me...

Thanks,
    USWL - *reclinemusic2

2. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

Re: What level to start running pits?

ahh haha, I was going to reply to this at work, but the boss returned and a ninja alt-tab saved me!

Personally I'd say the Pits and running lvl85 areas in general were for the wealthy / better geared / higher level, in that if magefists / shakos / guiaummes faces etc etc etc are all of use / need to you, then you are probably better off running NM & Hell Andy / Mephi.

Ofc you could do 1 Pit run and get a 0os eth ST [email protected] and get a lucky ebug and sort yourself out for currency in 1 lucky drop. If I were you I'd take the slow n steady route for a few more levels.

Running NM is worth it for sure, farming Countess for runes, cows etc for gems / junk jewels. Feeding the rich crafters is often an easy way to get steady guaranteed income: jewel + rune (usually Ral/Sol - but there are many other combos) and Perfect Ruby / Amethyst for example.

As for getting through Hell, maybe you could arrange a rush swap on the forums, I dunno what the USWL trading forum is like, but on Eu getting a rush is pretty easy/quick and usually free if you can return the favour.

TLDR:

you could soldier on doing the pits, you will level up pretty quickly, but doing it for mf/wealth is kinda lottery-esk odds, whereas mephi andy are less spectacular but probably a better use of your time.

3. reclinemusic

Thank you. I will rock some NM mode.

4. droid

droid IncGamers Member

yeah its not a level question as much as it is a gear/survivability one. Your merc will be suffering from a severe to-hit penalty at that level, while Pit monsters get a big to-hit bonus, so that's part of the reason why he's dying so much.

Hell Mausoleum might be a better option; though he wont be able to leech there either, the monster density is much lower and its also L85. Hell Trist is also a nice option for leveling, with a high concentration of boss and champ mobs in the upper 70s.

5. baldanders

baldanders IncGamers Member

I agree that 72 is really too low for the pits. The second level in particular will chew you up with the wrong bosses.

But the Pits can be good even if you aren't uber-geared, even if only as a break from endless Meph/Andariel runs. The key is to get good at using your mobility to avoid taking arrows from the beefed up packs. Tele is the best skill in the game, but it's also one of the hardest to learn to get the full advantage of.

6. droid

droid IncGamers Member

TP TP FO, TP TP FO is a good pattern for battling nasty archer packs, circling around them so they cant get a lock on you

7. Millard

Millard IncGamers Member

do crypt/mausoleum its still ilvl 85/83 a lot easier than pits. i've done that on a level 55 sorc with no problem. The crypt and mausoleum is near blood raven in case you don't know.

8. scwizard

scwizard IncGamers Member

If you're level 72 you should leech off of hell Baal bots until you're 80+ imo, make sure you find one that fills or nearly fills its games unless you feel like being very patient.

You'll also find some flawless gems, which you can then cube and then trade for gear.

Magefist is pretty cheap in terms of pgems. If you want you could buy it from my shop for 4 pgems (special for you).

:( Someone was selling oculus for 1 pruby the other day. It's gone now, but it's something easily affordable.

9. reclinemusic

Sorry I haven't checked back on my thread in awhile, been MFing like a MFer...

Thanks very much for all the responses and thx scwizard for the offer on the magefist. I'm on west ladder, btw.

I managed to get to where I could jump in some baal runs and i'm currently 83. Currently rocking: full tals, magefist, war travs, and a 27 spirit monarch. An extremely kind soul lent me the war travs and I found a clean monarch on a baal run and snatched it before all the others, then promptly quest-socketed it :p

My MF runs have been: countess, pits, andy, meph, pindle and cows if I feel like it, all hell. meph usually requires 1-2 juvs for mr. merc, but that's no issue. think i'll look into crypts and mausoleum to break things up.

and awesome advice droid, on the unique archer packs, I always cringe when I see them.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010