Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What kind of D2 (and D3) gamer are you?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by javazon, Sep 28, 2010.

1. javazon

javazon Diabloii.Net Member

What kind of D2 (and D3) gamer are you?

I will admit, I haven't played D2 since early 2004. But before then, I was quite active on old forums/marketplace (had 2nd highest trader rating - neophyte420 if anyone remembers that far back).

In past, what attracted me to D2 was 3 things:
    1. items/trading economy
    2. variability (mf, pvp, trading, new builts)
    3. how the game could run on your system for 6 hrs and still respond.

While I had several amazon/barbarians with high mf %, I always believed that in order to get the best items, you had to trade for them. That made me play the game, to find items to trade for other items. For me, it was the most important part and why I played for 4 years. After, I retired and left all of it to my good friend.

What kind of D2/D3 game are you/will be? What drives you to play a game for long time?

2. blackbisket

blackbisket Diabloii.Net Member

Re: What kind of D2 (and D3) gamer are you?

I dont recall how long I played the game for but after many cow run to hit 99, a few things kept me going.

Id have to say item farming and the economy was a big part, testing new characters/builds to see what I liked the best and PvP.

3. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

Experimenting and creating new builds with the use of various different weapons with a broad amount of different modifiers.

that is why i played diablo 2 and why i will play diablo 3 if it is any good.

Not for items not for the highest level but simply because i enjoy creating and perfecting my idea behind a character.

Its also one of the reasons i wont be using respecs.

4. Rash

Rash Diabloii.Net Member

I was also the trader char. Always play for items trade trade trade until you get your runes for the powerful runewords or other things needed to max my char out- I used to play weeks and weeks to find a better ring for example or could buy one.

Ok in the beginning i also tried several builds myself had many tables on paper in which skills i would invest for each level up and so on. Was very funny.

5. Moonfrost

Moonfrost Diabloii.Net Member

Singleplayer. In total, I've probably played D2 MP for less than 12 hours, mainly because I still had a 56k connection when the game was released and it was too expensive to make online gameplay a habit. When the game was new I usually played alone until I got bored, which more often than not resulted in my quitting the game in early Hell due to the prospect of having to beat the game with the same character a third time. PvP was obviously out of the question, too.

Interestingly, most of my time spent on D2 wasn't when the game was new, but these last two years since D3 was announced. That's when I beat D2 Hell for the first time and that's when I really got into MFing; still as a singleplayer though. I've never ever traded in D2 and now that I've found most of the items in the game, I still don't see a need to because it just seems so inconvenient. However, I can definitely see myself trading in D3, provided they've made it more user friendly.

I never had time or motivation to create more than one character of the same class concurrently, so obviously the notion of D3 respecs greatly appeals to me. At its core, I think the basic gameplay of D2 isn't very fun, so the thought of replaying the game just to try out a few new skills or sort out a few misplaced stat points has always been a huge no-no. Especially nowadays, when there are so many other good games to play, it seems like a waste of time.

So, in short: singleplayer and item hunter but perhaps future trader too.

6. Sass

Sass Diabloii.Net Member

The #2 example is me 100%.

7. javazon

I remember that they announced new runewords like 1-2 month in advance of the patch. Since we knew them, I had an old account with 4 level 9 mules, which I got to 99 just by farming cows and looking for those 6 sockets ethereal, 3 sockets elite, light armors and such :)

8. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Diabloii.Net Member

i am a co-op player who makes far to many character which just makes all my friends mad lol. building characters is the best part of the game for me

9. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop Diabloii.Net Member

I am a solo player, as I find very few people that enjoy a positive, mutually beneficial agreement since a couple old buddies quit years ago.

I play exclusively ladder. I delete everything when they reset and start from scratch. I've played since 2001 or so.

I play in spurts. I will take months away from the game or even years only to return with a brief vengeance and vanish again for 2 months. Its the economic simulation and character building that keeps me playing. I love trading and the whole idea of a "real" economy based around things found in a game. Its nothing like it once was now that the trade threads are pretty sparse when once upon a time (2008 even) you could see hundreds of people in a trade forum at 11pm. I spend huge amounts of time here in the trade value thread. I feel that I'm pretty knowledgeable, but its amazing that you almost cannot be an expert in all areas and up to date. Then there's the master traders like Groo and Tradinfool and others.

Boy, that was a lot more than I meant to type.

10. javazon

Interesting. I don't think I can do spurts....Either I am in or not.

I also never did ladder... When new patch was out, I realised that it's ladders or nothing...I played around for few month, most old friends list, so I retired :)

11. Dahmer

Dahmer Diabloii.Net Member

I'm a little bit of everything but the biggest part is probably all the lvling and char creating I did. I'm sure I'll try every class in D3, get all of them to max lvl and gather good gear by killing or trading.

12. Malaterre

Malaterre Diabloii.Net Member

Mostly solo player. Back in 2001, I did not have the money to play online with my 56k modem (which was really expensive in 2001). I was at the university back then and played LAN parties with some friends on the network of the physics department at nights... Very good remembrance. So I think I will play like that, more or less, solo or in small parties with some friends. Although I will play on Battle.Net this time.

Definitely a casual player. I only finished the game with 4-5 characters although I played more or less two years. Each of these characters took me months to reach Baal in Hell mode. Most of all, I am not a farmer: I do not like doing again and again the same things. So I am not interested by the "trade game". And I do not think I will be in D3. I played several online RPG since I played Diablo 2 and have never been interested in the items hunt.

13. ThomasJ

ThomasJ Diabloii.Net Member

Played Diablo/Diablo 2 for about 3 years mulitplayer. I'm a multiplayer guy so I'll be playing Diablo 3 multiplayer for quite some time.

14. DragonChi

DragonChi Diabloii.Net Member

I was always into Single Player or Co-op with one other friend. But because I only really care about the story..i never ventured past normal difficulty. For me it was pointless to do it all over again for it to only be harder the second time around, and harder still on hell. Some of you may think I'm missing out, that may be..but it doesn't bother me in the slightest. D3 is looking to be so incredibly immersive in so many ways and on so many levels, there will be limitless fun to be had on normal mode to last a lifetime. I can't wait to customize my toon's to high heaven making my character truly unique and exactly to my liking. Customizing is what I'm all about and that's more or less what I'm ranting and raving about with D3, that and the story.

15. Apocalypse

the only thing i think you might be missing out on is the highest level spells, not sure when you beat the game though. gotta ask, if you only play for the story how many times did you play through?

16. DragonChi

MILLIONS of times. and had just as much fun with each toon I ever made. of course, this is not to say that for D3 that I will play the same way as I did in D2. As it looks right now, D3 is vastly more well put together than D2 ever was, There looks to be WAAAY more motivation to move forward into the harder difficulties with all the awesome new features. So chances are pretty good that I will venture there this time around.

17. Apocalypse

cool, was not attacking you was an honest question. what level did you normally beat the game at? i assume if you got the xpac you were past 30 and got to use the top level spells. actually playing normal only would allow you to build a character a wide variety of ways

18. DragonChi

I actually cant remember right now what lvl i would be at in the xpac. i haven't been that far on a toon for some time now. but I can say that my play style would allow me to presume that I would be around 30. I tend to stay in certain areas and farm XP so that my toon is never in a situation where he is suffering. I lvl him so he is above the expectations of the next place I need to be.

19. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod Diabloii.Net Member

Tried my hand at most of the stuff in D2 & D1 and ended up a barb in D2 and a rogue in D1. In D2 my highest level char was a 92 hammerdin, I just couldn't get the desire to take him further. In D1 it was a lvl 42 rogue.

Did mostly hell meph runs for my uniques, then Lower Kurast for my runes. Did bugged andy for my jordans. That was single play which consumed 3 years of my single players experience. Hated baal runs, I would prefer to run the pits anytime.

I also did online for about a year pre 1.10. All I played back then were zon's. Never got anything useful though as I really didn't know anything about the game (breakpoints, good mods, breaking immunities, etc). Back then I just played the game. All I really did was get through the game as fast as possible in order to get into some cow runs which seemed like that's all people did in the game.

It wasn't until my return in '07 that I began to 'learn' D2. Currently I'm an on & off player who does Singleplay with rare link up or tcp/hamachi SPF/MP.

20. Apocalypse

i tried to go back to D2 but the lack of a shared stash made me instantly quit lol. amazing how such a small feature destroys the fun for me.