Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

what is your passion?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Artagas, May 31, 2005.

1. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

what is your passion?

Ok, i know it is not counted as a top-notch runeword, but I see so much fantasy in that +1 zerk/zeal i want to build something around it.
    What pops to mind is melee chars who would rely on their regular attacks. namely: heavy-weapon assasin, enchantress, melee-mancer. (not counting various weird bow builds, who can't take advantage of zerk or zeal anyhow)
    now...two questions pop-to mind:
    - does tiger work with these +skills? (or cobra for that matter) i would assume no, but if it does it'd be pretty neat (and if it does, could i dish out magic damage with tiger/berserk?)
    - i am actually a little uncertain about Oskills since i never really had any fancy runewords. the way i think it works is that +to all skills work with them, but +skill tree things won't. is that correct?

The most charming option at this point is a sorceress zealot with fun %to cast things. either dracul's grasp for effectiveness or delirium for style. likely the sooner since i can use CoS charges instead of confuse a la Nightfish for crowd control. and i am rather hesitant to spend the single ist in my possesion anyhow

2. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

Charge ups only work with a regular attack or one of the 4 dragon finishers.

Imo the "best" char to use this is indeed an enchantress since she has no attack skills of her own. I think if I were to do it I'd put it in an archon staff so you have a decently fast attack and good damage with berserk. (getting a might merc, of course).

Oh, I'm not sure I get your part about crowd control, the CoS charges are from Darksight Helm, not delirium or dracul's. Darksight Helm. I think that should be renamed to "NF's Hat of GG" or something. :lol: And you do know that life tap overwrites CoS, right?

3. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

I'd go with a phase blade so you can go for the high attack speed and still wear a shield. Then rely on pre-buffing enchant for high fire damage. Holy Freeze mercenary for crowd control and you should be good.

4. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

An amazon with a big two-handed Passion weapon rocks! In the last Tankazon tourney, I had the pleasure of using a Passion Champion Sword in Hell Tal´s tombs (3 of them) and in act 3 up to the sixth and final temple on the Causeway (where she died).

Zeal wasn´t much to write home about (perhaps it´s just me, I´ve never liked it (too unprecise for my liking)) but the Berserk was fabulous. The fact that defense is set to 0 doesn´t matter much when you rely on Dodge/Avoid to keep you safe. Penetrate (and the AR bonus on Passion) ensures a good chance to hit, and >60% chance of Critical Strike doesn´t hurt either.

5. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

Yes, that's how it goes. +class or +tree skills don't do any good for them.

6. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

I understand where they came from. maybe it has something to do with my english but what i meant to say in my initial post was "i am probably not going to use delirium, because CoS charges are a cheaper solution for the same problem, and i can still throw curses wearing Dracul's"
    (i hope it makes sense now, i am starting to feel retarded) (maybe because i am)

Now, you pointed out the flaw in my logic nevertheless, because i tought CoS and life tap would stack.
    Either way i will probably just use Dracul's than, except for the archer heavy areas.
    I dont really want to use a shield. I would prefer a bunch of damage and "active" defense (see above).
    @jiazons: actually, tankazon is something i didn't think of, but sounds rather tempting. the reason why i don't like berserk is the lack of leech but surely it would be nice against OKs and the like. (oh, wait...what did i just say. there is _nothing_ like OKs)

7. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

Personally I'd stick it a champion sword and give it to an Assassin or Amazon. I'd lean towards Assassin... TS, Venom and BoS would go pretty well, and Assassins are good with swords.

Enchantresses go so much better with Kingslayer.

8. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

Well, I am trying to figure damage/frame for a variety of weapons, but I am kinda' confused with the BPs. Do i get paladin BPs using zeal with passion? Just 'coz a certain BP calc (the one we don't link to) doesn't calculate zeal brake points for anyone else but a paladin.

NF said TS wouldn't work with zeal/berserk, and without those passion is not all that interesting for me.

Kingslayer sure is sexy, but i don't have a Gul.

9. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

You are wrong. Assassins are very bad with 2-handed swords. They are OK with other 2handed weapons but very slow with 2h-swords.

10. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

On the other hand, with some one-hander swords (longswords, scimitars, sabres, except/elite versions, and phase blades) they are quite fast. Basically, they seem to closely parallel the paladin's attack speed for many one-handed weapons, especially swords. My sword assassin had a very respectable attack speed using Frostwind late in the game, with a Kingslayer superior phase blade for bosses (the CB+OW+PHM was great).

Back to the original topic, one thing you need to think about when using Passion is the 'hit causes target to flee' mod. This is essentially a Terror curse that affects a single target, and as such, will overwrite other curses (including CoS). It also means that you might spend more time chasing fleeing enemies than actually dealing damage. If you ask me, Passion would be a whole lot better without this mod, but for certain (more fragile) builds, I suppose it could help. You can partially counteract the effects by slapping on other chance-to-cast curse gear (especially ones with a radius, like Dracul's Grasp, Soul Drainer, Delirium, etc), as these curses can overwrite the Terror effect. You might also try loading up on some 'hit slows target' gear, and/or 'freezes target', though both these mods are hard to find on non-weapon gear. Blackhorn's Face, Nosferatu's Coil, Arachnid Mesh, and Iceblink are the ones I can think of; while Exile has the 'hit freezes target' mod, it's paladin-only, so you wouldn't need a runeword for Zeal (not to mention acquiring the runes is difficult at best).

11. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 IncGamers Member

Having played a passion-using Enchantress up to 89 (and counting) I can honestly say the monster flee isn't that bad. I barely notice it now when I'm playing. Since i bounce around all over the place with teleport in order to avoid getting swarmed, chasing after fleeing monsters is no big deal really since I can head them off much quicker then melee characters of other classes.

Also as you mentioned it's a decent form of crowd control as well.

12. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

As you say, Teleport can help a fair bit. I'd imagine a melee sorcy can do well with it, because she fits my idea of a 'more fragile build'. When you're surrounded by a pack of Frenzytaurs, I expect the flee comes in pretty handy. Still, I'd rather be using things like Attract or Confuse, both of which can be obtained through Delirium (but when the morph triggers, it's rather annoying).

13. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

Well actually i tought hit causes monsters to flee was a good thing to begin with since it helps separating the boss from the pack. but i keep forgetting that these things override each other, which might make it seriously annoying at times. anyhow, the best way to find out is to try it i guess.
    I will be careful spending my stat points so if it doesn't work out for me i will just swap for a different weapon.

anybody knows the answer to my question regarding a sorc's BPs when using zeal? It is a crucial piece of info when i decide on the base item for the runeword.
    What did you use TopHatCat? (actually i would be curious about the rest of your gear too)

14. Lucky_Seven

Lucky_Seven IncGamers Member

The highest breakpoint for a phase blade on a sorc needs 65% IAS. Passion already has 25%, so you just need 40% extra.

Fastest breakpoint is a 7 frame zeal.

Phase blade

11/8 30 IAS
    9/8 54 IAS
    10/7 65 IAS

My enchantress used a Passion Phase Blade at 7 Frames(3,5 attacks per sec) and was very fast against non-FI (8k Fire Damage)
    Teleport is nice to put your merc near the first monster you want to kill and to land above a scared monster.

*edit - ...and passion is really cheap RW, Kingslayer when compared to Passion is a expensive RW.

15. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

thanks. sorry if i am slow, but how did you figure these BPs? i would like to understand the logic behind this, and also be able to figure for other weapons.

ps: yeah, passion is cheap, and that is a good thing since i am very poor runewise.

16. Lucky_Seven

Lucky_Seven IncGamers Member

From other members guys that can read the code :D.

i'm just a copy paste guy :D

Mine used

shako (15IAS Jewel)
    passion Phase Blade
    SS shield
    nosferatu belt
    gore riders
    Blood Craft Gloves 20 IAS
    ravenfrost
    BK Ring
    mara's amulet

SC with life/resists/Lightning damage(i spend 20 points in Lightning Mastery).

It's fragile but powerful.

17. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 IncGamers Member

For awhile I wondered about this as well, this is the only post I could find with Zeal bp's for a Sorc: Post

My gear is still a work in progress as I have a slow zeal right now but here's what I'm currently using:

Matriarch Summertime lvl 89
    Str 95 / 171
    Dex 155 / 219
    Vitality 250 / 272
    Energy 35 / 47

Life 1116
    Mana 466

Fire, Lightning, Cold 75
    Poison 35

Zeal 9765-11K

Attack Gear:
    Harlequin Crest
    Lionheart
    Passion phase blade (200% ED, 76% AR bonus)
    Stormshield (perfect diamond)
    Bloodfist
    String of Ears (15%)
    Goreriders
    Ravenfrost (20/248)

Corruption Whorl
    Ring
    Required Level: 65
    Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
    Item Level: 84
    Fingerprint: 0x147b1f7
    +43 to Mana
    +115 to Attack Rating
    +5 to Minimum Damage
    Lightning Resist +20%
    8% Life stolen per hit
    5% Mana stolen per hit

Viper Torc
    Amulet
    Required Level: 51
    Item Level: 86
    Fingerprint: 0xdede4c7a
    +19 to Strength
    +17 to Dexterity
    +54 to Life
    +16 to Mana
    Fire Resist +27%
    Lightning Resist +20%
    Cold Resist +20%
    Poison Resist +20%

Charms:
    Fire Skiller (2)
    15% resist all, +5 dex
    26% fire resist, +25 poison dmg
    28% cold resist, 40 life
    28% lightning, +5 dex
    +34 life, +6-25 fire dmg
    +5% resist all (2)
    11% fire resist (2)
    11% poison resist
    Vita charms (3)

-

Pre-Buff
    +2 Enchant Leaf staff
    +3 fire skills circlet
    +3 fire skills ammy
    Soj (2)
    Arachnid's
    Magefist
    +3 Enchant +15% fire dmg Ormus
    Fire Skiller (3)

18. LeorictheDark

LeorictheDark IncGamers Member

Make a big hurty stick...

Passion
    Cryptic Axe
    'DolOrtEldLem'
    Two-Hand Damage: 92 to 421
    Durability: 36 of 65
    Required Dexterity: 103
    Required Strength: 165
    Required Level: 59
    Polearm Class - Fast Attack Speed
    Item Level: 86
    Fingerprint: 0x9ac8d1c2
    +181% Enhanced Damage
    Adds 1-50 lightning damage
    75% Extra Gold from Monsters
    25% Increased Attack Speed
    +1 to Berserk
    +1 to Zeal
    Hit Causes Monster to Flee 25%
    Hit Blinds Target +10
    70% Bonus to Attack Rating
    75% Damage to Undead
    +50 to Attack Rating against Undead
    Level 3 Heart of Wolverine (5/12 Charges)
    Socketed (4: 4 used)

19. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

I only have experience using it on a 2-handed sorc, so others can speak to other options.

I used passion on my enchantress, and it worked wonderfully. Once you learn to use teleport and flee to control monster movement, it becomes an asset. I found that I was using both Zeal and Zerk. It took some time to figure out when to use each, but I loved having the flexibility. Her mat thread is here, and it has more details on some of the playing style I used. I'm tying the build again for my Septavirate, if I can find any time to actually play D2.

I would skip using CtC items since the blind and flee on Passion will keep overwriting them. You should be able to get all of the crowd control you need from blind, flee, and teleport.

If you are going to go two handed with a sorc, take advantage of the speed she gets with polearms, axes, mauls, and staves. (She will be slower with an equivalent base speed 2-handed sword.) Only polearms and axes have -10 weapons that can be used for Passion, so I would go with one of those. Put it in an thresher, giant thresher, a -10 base speed 2-handed axe. That way you can take full advantage of her swing speed with those weapons. Here are the zeal breakpoints for the -10 Axes and Polearms:

11/9: 23
    12/8: 37
    11/8: 39
    9/8: 60
    10/7: 80
    9/7: 99

I spent the first part of hell difficulty at the 60 IAS breakpoint, and then managed to get to the 80 IAS breakpoint. I didn't notice a huge difference between the two, so I wouldn't make any sacrifices to get to the 80 breakpoint. (Also keep in mind that I used Zerk a lot in hell, and while I don't have the numbers in front of my right now, I think the speed is the same (10 frames) at both B.P.s You need to get to 90 to get Zerk to 9 frames.)

20. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

thanks for the info guys. The link TopHatCat posted has some guy copy-pasting a part of "soa11hs" which is a file located in d2char.mpq. I wish i knew how to make those things appear in a human readable format (I extracted it from the mpq but it doesn't quite look like a txt file)

anyways, axe and polearm and pb breakpoints are already a great help so i can (partially) compare 1h damage/frame against 2h damage/frame.