What is your favorite version of D2 and Why?

Which Patch/Version?

• Total voters

Disposition

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm going to go back and play some old patches, wondering waht you all like and why? :)

Currently intriged in to the older patches to see how things used to be. :D I've played since 1.00 came as a disk back in the day but don't really have any hay day memories other than 1.09 gosu cow exp and nova sorc

bgalakazam

Diabloii.Net Member
Honestly, 1.09. That's what I played the most. I like the newer stuff, but for single player without Torch and Anni it is really hard to compare to Bnet. Yes there are OP items (charms, crafts) from earlier versions that you can carry over. But most of these imho are useful in 1.09 where runewords didn't ruin the game.

Looking realistically, anything 1.10+ to be a top tier build melee 99% needs Grief, caster 99% needs Enigma. Any nonbarb needs CTA, etc etc etc.

In mf ideal world there will be a 1.09 version with all the 1.10+ uniques and rare affixes but not runewords. I just don't see the appeal to play 1.10+ without Torch and Anni which are pretty much a given need for any class.

Luhkoh

Diabloii.Net Member
@bgalakazam I never understood this. So runewords ruined the game by being overpowered, but there's no point in playing it without torch/anni? Seems like a bit of a disconnect. But I'm a newer player and love the modern version, and don't have any time in the older ones.

bgalakazam

Diabloii.Net Member
They are BiS for any 2x1 and 1x1 inventory square. Unless you are doing a SP tournament or some niche build with self imposed rules they are pretty much part of ANY LoD build.

Also nice to see people vote but not explain why :)

Reactions: mir

mir

Diabloii.Net Member
I play the latest version, my biggest experience with older versions was 1.10 but back then I didn't really 'knew' the game and only began to discover the online communities and really learn how to play D2.

That being said, I vote for 1.07 as the version I like most. The possibilities of good 1.07 crafts are endless for later patches (bows, swords, 15+ ipdr [email protected]).

ResTTe

Diabloii.Net Member
@bgalakazam Runewords opened so many possibilities that it is unimaginable... Before them you basically had to farm with sorc, cause she was the only class with probably the most overpowered skill in the game which is the teleport. Any other build is pretty much worthless without it, so adding enigma balanced the game imo (from single player perspective). Have no idea why torch and anni are "a given need for any class". You can say so about eni for non-sorc classes, grief for melee, infinity/insight for some builds, so i don't really understand why it's different here... I would gladly delete torch and anni from the game if i could ^^

Maltatai

Diabloii.Net Member
Before anyone starts dismissing builds as pretty much worthless or stating that charm this or runeword that is some sort of prerequisite for a character to be effective I would advise them to read the guardian threads, not least the untwinked ones.

In my own opinion a character build that can make guardian can by definition not be anything but effective, if perhaps not to the creators taste all the time. A character build that beats the game without ever using a mercenary is hardly worthless, nor is a character build that beats the game without ever losing the mercenary. None of these things require rare rune words, or rune words at all. Or unique charms.

As for patches my favourites are the latest, after 1.12, due to iron maiden being removed from the oblivion knights. While I miss the legendary terror it inspired in the chaos sanctuary I think the game was and is already hard enough on melee characters and that change balanced things in a reasonable way.

DariusTriplet

Diabloii.Net Member
Voted for 1.09 for a few reasons:
  • I prefer the old 20-and-you're-done skill system over synergies. I'm not a huge fan of having to focus on one or two skills to the exclusion of all others; IMO a build like a tri-elemental Sorceress or the old LF/MS Amazons more fun to build/play than hyperspecialized 1.10+ characters.
  • I'm also not a huge fan of +oskill and aura-when-equipped items - much of the game's fun to me is figuring out how to overcome/deal with limits on your character, and "break immunes with Infinity / just Teleport with Enigma" isn't as fun as cross-skilling or juggling charged items.
  • I'm unsure if 1.09 had reduced drops, or if folk were just much worse at MFing back then, but high-end items felt truly rare. Something like Gladiator's Bane or a Sur was a big deal to find, even if it was kinda crummy, just because it was a cool prestige item.
  • The last patch without guest monsters! Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but I like Act 5 to be filled with actual Act 5 monsters.
  • The occasional super-scary monster (MSLE, OKs, Duriel), which you were forced to take very seriously, esp. in HC.
  • Nostalgia - I was a teenager during 1.09, and the forums were super-active then, so I won't pretend that a lot of this isn't shaded by longing for the Good Old Days.
This isn't to say that 1.09 didn't have its issues (DR%, cows, the game just being easier as a whole) but it's still my favorite patch to play in.

Reactions: mir

ResTTe

Diabloii.Net Member
@Maltatai Well, that depends on your goals of course. I have very specific ones and am not ashamed to share them ^^ My main focus are end-game builds, high lvl chars, efficient mfing and lvling. Some untwinked HC chars are definitely godly for their job, but that is not what i was reffering to. I pointed out that it's my opinion by using "imo" at the end of the sentence. Should make it more clear i guess...

I won't vote for any version, cause i haven't played previous patches enough to make a reasonable choice. Maybe some day...

Disposition

Diabloii.Net Member
Apprecaite everyones feedback. My old me loves 1.09, nova sorc, cows and LF/MS or GA new me is a little indifferent.

I would ask that everyone keeps the thread on track as to not get it closed as I'm just looking for peoples opinions. <3

Disposition

Diabloii.Net Member
I almost want to walk one character through all the versions individually just for the lulz.

like I remember pre-1.09? you could literally have unlimited skelle's/mage's but they just ran wherever they wanted and CE was so OP.
Then in 1.09 or was it pre buriza and guided arrow were just insanely broken
I remember godly rings dropping in 1.07 I don't really remember 1.00->1.06~ Other than you wanted to pick up individual throwing potions because a single one sold for insane gold.

Gripphon

Diabloii.Net Member
Either 1.13 or 1.14 because I feel game now offers the most for all playing styles. Runewords are available and not impossible to get, there are no ridiculous bugs either. I feel like previous versions forced player to play in a certain ways and while some versions do have their advantages, I feel 1.13 and 1.14 simply offer wider variety of options for each player.

Untwinked is fun and player can even score a jackpot with some rune. These versions offer by far the most theorycraft and optimization options for all builds. If player dislikes the usage of certain runewords, he can simply - not use them. If he wants to play under specific rules, I feel these versions offer the most playable options compared to older versions where game was too broken for some things.

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member
Gripp pretty much nailed what my opinion is on the matter. Let's face it, after you've played a relatively "light" RPG for a while, you know enough or are rich enough to breeze through anything.

I'm one of those people, who more or less wear out my games. Skyrim, Final Fantasy VII, Diablo II... if you know how to get the best items, how to level (or avoid it) best, where this or that secret is.... you kind of NEED to impose rules on yourself if you still want to play, and still want a challenge. Now, to some extent, this excludes modding. All three of the games I've mentioned have a variety of mods for them. Skyrim broke 100,000 mods a while back, and while many of them are for QOL and graphix, some of them offers more challenge than I could imagine. Especially when combined.

Speed running D2 can feel pretty intense. Collecting everything of this or that for a grail can feel immensly rewarding for a few pixels. How you want to go about it is up to you, and the latest patches give you the most options to choose from.

I still love getting items which are unobtainable in the later patches, but I wouldn't know this joy if it wasn't for... well... the later patches ;)

maxicek

Moderator Single Player
You missed 1.11 (=1.12) which has different content.
1.13 = 1.14 content wise, main difference is the (now broken again) Mac client.

But basically what Grip said, although I do have some nostalgia for the times when people were genuinely impressed by a Vex drop.

WoRG

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm sure its no surprise I voted 1.07, but I agree with @helvete and @Gripphon : if I didn't also play in the modern patches, I probably wouldn't enjoy the game nearly as much as I do....

WoRG

Klonki

Diabloii.Net Member
For me it's 1.09! Funnier monsters, godly 3 chippie-reciepes and extreme dmg! Fun for all! :D

But i'm playing 1.13 the last years, to lazy upgrade to 1.14 because no Atma