Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What is usable when in werebear?

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Lyndis, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

What is usable when in werebear?

I've never played a Druid before, and I hear that when you are in bear form most spells and abilities are disabled. Can someone tell me exactly what is usable during bear form? Also, what about stuff that cast before shifting? Let's say you cast Fade or Venom or Enchant before shifting, does it continue to be in effect even after you shift? I wonder if you could do assassin martial arts while shifted?

2. Queen Mebd

Queen Mebd IncGamers Member

Indeed most spells are disabled; I think you can use armageddon in bear form (don't quote me on that one). Though effects casted before shifting to stay in effect, and in fact there are a few cross-class guides around the forums here that utilize just that, other skills and shifting into bearform via the Beast runeword:
    Paladin using holy shield: http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?p=2854732&posted=1#post2854732
    Amazon using dodge/evade/avoid: http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=398808
    & Soceress using enchant: http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=482493
    Didn't turn up anything on assassins (though a more thorough search'll probably glean something), though a venom & burst of speed or fade using bear could be worth looking into (an ethereal-looking bear would certainly be neat). But I don't think martial skills would be usable, as they're not skills a bear could use anyway. It would be interesting to see if a normal bear attack could trigger charge-up skills accumulated before shifting. Hope those guides give you an idea what's possible.

3. Queen Mebd

Queen Mebd IncGamers Member

Edit: Sorry, didn't mean for a double post there, the network at school is rocking per usual.

4. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

I have never read anything about assassins in bear form, so that's why I'm asking. My idea right now is to build a shockbear...no...not shockwave...but a dual-dream, Beast, Bramble, lava-gouts wearing assassin with an Infinity Holy Freeze merc. Infinity will help greatly with any AR problems and up the elemental damage I do. Max out fade and venom, and maybe prebuff with a demon-limb if I really need to. I'll be doing fire, lightning, poison, and physical damage! Thinking of putting Dragon and Dream on the HF merc so merc can be tri-elemental, and when he gets hit enough, he'll add poison as well.

Killinh speed might be a bit slow, but I'll never be afraid of immunes (besides the ubers tristram area, of course).

5. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

A guy named SSoG made a guide about a Bearsin, with a 2 frame attack to boot. I'd post the link to the guide, but it's on another site...

You basically need an Artisan's Runic Talons/Greater Talons of Quickness, socketed with 3 Shaels. That's a [-30] assassin weapon with 100% IAS, just enough to get you a 2 frame attack with normal attack in Bear form.

The lightning damage from dual-dream, and all other elemental damage would be applied 12.5 times per second. That's 12.5-20850 lightning damage per second from just the dreams alone. Stock up on other elemental damage sources and Crushing Blow for some crazy damage-per-second madness.

6. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

Wait, you can just pre-buff shapeshifting? You mean I don't have to keep on using Beast after I shift? Hmm...this opens up...possibilities. Of course, if I do get 2 frame attacks, then venom is worthless, since the poison damage is applied over 4 seconds. WTH am I supposed to do with all the extra skill points? :D

Well, if I end up using a claw, then I can pump claw mastery...hell, I'll still have way too many points. Umm, does Shadow master have a synergy by any chance? Does it benefit from hard points you've invested elsewhere? :p

EDIT: Are you allowed to PM me the link?

7. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

Venom's duration is over 0.4 seconds, or 10 frames.

SM benefits from investment in all your skills (with only a couple of exceptions), as they will help to improve her skills, and makes her use them more often.

8. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

yes, I meant 0.4 seconds. Way too long if I'm hitting at 2 frames. I'll jyst ignore Venom and pump up some Martial arts skills or something so my SM will use them.

9. Valvolux

Valvolux IncGamers Member

Just to add something, Venom is still very useful even with a super fast attack. This is due to your low AR, meaning not every attack animation will hit and blocking...and yes monsters do have block.

10. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

To answer the original question... the following skills are useable in werebear form:

Normal Attack
    Shapeshift (i.e. unshift)
    Town Portal
    Identify
    Maul
    Shockwave
    Fireclaws
    Hunger
    Raven
    Poison/Carrion/Solar Vines
    Summon Spirit Wolf/Dire Wolf/Grizzly
    Oak Sage/Heart of Wolverine/Spirit of Barbs
    Armageddon
    I'm not positive that Unsummon works, but I'm pretty sure that it does.

That's it. End of list, end of story.

On the other hand, all passive skills are active while in wereform (including D/A/E), and any buffing skill remains active while shifting (i.e. Holy Shield, Enchant, etc).

Speak of the devil...

You provided the damage for a synergized dual-dream setup. 'Sins can't synergize Holy Shock, so a Dual-Dream Bearsin would only offer 1-1668 lightning damage per hit (i.e. 834.5 damage per hit, or 9909.6875 damage per second, assuming a 95% chance to hit). Still substantial, but not earthshaking.

None of the Assassin's shadow skills possesses any synergy.

As far as what skills are useful in Bear form... you have several options. Blade Shield is crappy, but looks cool. Claw Block is useless (you can't dual wield in bearform, or your attack speed drops off the face of a cliff), but Fade and Claw Mastery are both godly in bear form (go go AR, Resists, and Damage). Venom's not totally useless, but I tend to avoid it. Last, but not least, you have the Shadows. You can either create a Master, who is more powerful... or if you're up for some fun, use a Shadow Warrior. The SW uses the skills you have hotkeyed. As a bearsin, you can only use Normal Attack, so you can assign whatever skill you want to one hotkey as long as attack stays on the other. The result is you can sort of control your Shadow Warrior by switching hotkeys to whichever skill you want her to use (although it's not an exact science).

The other option would be to go hybrid. Assign your skill points like a pure Trapassin. That'll make leveling up a breeze until you reach Beast's level requirements. After that, you have the choice to go Bearsin or Trapsin. You can play like a Trapsin in scary melee situations (such as around oblivion knights), and play Bearsin the rest of the time. Lots of flexibility. Plus, if you have a Shadow Warrior, then when in bear form you can have your Warrior be a trapper while you be the tank. Pretty effective.

Anything else I can help with?