Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What is this madness?!

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Xenon[XoA], Mar 14, 2004.

1. Xenon[XoA]

Xenon[XoA] Banned

What is this madness?!

Useast non ladder, sc.
    Was in a trade game, this sorc came in and they just started flying out of her. I'm pretty sure you can't carry more than 1. Egads. Then she left. Confusing...
    Linky

2. Shadow_247

Shadow_247 IncGamers Member

I think there have been posts made on this before, so i'll just sum up what I have read.

There exist many flaws in the game that malicious users take advantage of. As you might know, diablo 2 and battle.net run together through the use of packet-sending and packet-recieving. For example, whenever you click a location to move to, a packet is sent to battle.net and you move.

Hackers, as they are named nowadays, have figured out exactly how this packet system works. They are able to hack into the battle.net system and "spoof" packets. They can use a third-party program to send the packets manually, without actually being in the game. This led to the one of the first, most accurate, but most detectable botting methods.

Now that you have some history on packets, let me explain to you how the so-called "Mephisto Soulstone Dupe" works. Remember that if you ever (legitimately) lose your soulstone, cain will always provide another. This operation is run by packets. Each time you talk to cain in act 4, packets are used to check if there already is a soulstone in the inventory. If there is not one, cain hand's over the soulstone, and if a soulstone already exists he does not.

This is where hackers take their mark. The hackers block the packet that checks to see if the inventory contains the soulstone. And because the game knows no better, cain hands over the soulstone whether you have one or not. This process continues, probably it is controlled by another third-party program, and the so called "duper" has an inventory full of the soulstones.

So you see, the so called duping process (though it is truly not) only works on soulstones. When the "duper" asks you to hand over items, he will not be able to dupe them, and will run off into the sunset. I'm not sure, but I have heard of something like this being used for Malah's Resistance Scrolls. Never trust a duper, whether he dupes soulstones or shakos, IMO they aren't worth your time.

If you read nothing but this last line, don't trust dupers/scammers/hackers.

3. Unsane

Unsane IncGamers Member

Probably doesn't work quite like that since the obvious next step would be to block the check for annihilus or gheed..

4. Mikeyg

Mikeyg IncGamers Member

Oh christ but i hope that never happens! Infact dont even post stuff like that incase u give them ideas, you have no idea how big was the chill that went down my spine when i saw that post! It truly made me shudder

Mikey

5. Fearox

Fearox IncGamers Member

I don't get the point with soulstone duping.

6. Shadow_247

Shadow_247 IncGamers Member

It's suppose to make whoever is watching believe the person can dupe. It's like a trust thing, it makes the duper look real.

7. Unsane

Unsane IncGamers Member

*oops* :bonk:

I'll put this smilie too because it's looks funny. :cheesy:

8. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

Are those Soulstones or Annihilus charms?

9. Ryshenron

Ryshenron IncGamers Member

soulstones i beleive...

but doin that packet thing to extort anni and gheed inventtory checks....omg

someone delete this thread b4 bnet has a nuclear meltdown