Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What is This Guy Talking About?

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Green_Squirrel, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Green_Squirrel

Green_Squirrel IncGamers Member

What is This Guy Talking About?

I'm browsing my friends' clan's forums, and I find this weird post for MF. To me, it looks like this guy is crazy. I posted in there trying to tell him, but I'm not completely knowledgeable on the MF subject.

Link is here

Am I right? Or is he?

If I'm right I would still need some clarification so I can set this guy on the right path. Anyone out there know about MF formulae and how it works?

2. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

from the dates listed in the thread, i would say it was an april fool's joke.

3. Green_Squirrel

Erm, April 3-5?

This isn't an April Fool's joke, but by that statement you agree his ideas are crazy too, right?

4. Superhal

yes. many others (particularly at lurker lounge) have done highly controlled (not by feel) tests. they have also looked through the code extensively.

nothing of what he is saying has been found.

75% of it, in fact, are old, debunked rumors, like opening the portal before killing meph.

9 second meph runs are also impossible. load times are well over that already.

i can also predict that his bot didn't pick up every single item and record if it was a failed set/unique roll, only the raw values. most people who have done tests have shown that if faileds are included, then mf is exactly the same as it was before.

too bad though. if his bot was as good as he says it is, he could easily find some real data by making some tweaks.

5. DarkY

DarkY IncGamers Member

i dont believe the guy for 100%:

copy/paste from him:

The truth on pit runs:
    All these newbs are seeing people post stuff about pit runs, but they wondering whether its the Pit Levels in act 1 or act 5? The truth is that it is NIETHER! Its swampy pit in act 3 people, for some reason the regular monsters around there drop really good and ruby facets seem to sprout like weeds here.

Well the famous pit runs are in a1, not a3. Only lvl 3 orso in a3 pit is lvl 85+ and there are max 5 monsters orso.

But i agree putting tp's, decrease drops (cant be bad luck)

6. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

The guy who started the thread is just pretending IMO. Many of his statements are plainly wrong and IMO his "research" is full of subjective impressions. But perhaps it's an April fool's joke. In that case it's a well-made one, I admit. If it's not - well, erm, no offense meant :innocent:

What I find particularly amusing is that there were quite a few people who blindly believed what the guy told :lol:

7. Green_Squirrel

Hope you don't mind if I use some of your guys' ideas to post there again.

8. robochan

robochan IncGamers Member

Perhaps if some of them put as much into actually playing the game as they do into their ub3r l33t sigs, they might actually find some good stuff ;)

9. Gorny

Gorny Banned

That guy is full of it and obviously has no idea what he is talking about!

If anyone wants to learn about what Magic Find is, how it works, and how to use it effectively, go to these links :

Flux's Macic Find Guide (old but very useful!)
    http://www.diabloii.net/strategy/x-guides/magic-find.shtml
    ( An explanation of Magic Find in 1.10 and A listing os all Area Levels )
    http://home.t-online.de/home/320071...F_Guide_ENG.htm
    (Shadow_247's Pit Run Guide)
    http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=532

Feel free to cut and paste this to that other forum ... That guy needs to be proven wrong.

10. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

Don't try to argue with this guy, only prove that his results are fake. He seems willing to ignite a flame war.

The Swampy Pit has an area_lvl of 81 (Lvl 1 and 2), and lvl 3 has area_lvl 82. The odds of getting TC 87 in there is really low.

His last post:
    Maphack shows Ilvls, not TCs AFAIK. Even if it would, it would prove nothing.

From people with more technical knowledge about D2 than him.

They have the disassembled code to look at, not the source code.

It doesn't work that way, you still would have to hack into b.net's servers (all of them) and change the code there. That would be quickly detected and undone. All those items except Constricting Ring never existed, they're just bnet rumors.

I haven't been around for 4 yours, but I do know what exists and what doesn't.

The monster drops chances are random, you can't just go and make something drop. The client doesn't decide what drops, the server does. Sending packets would only get you tagged and banned.

Strange way of reporting failed rolls IMO.

Aragorn_elessar: Flux' magic guide is really outdated, and a couple of facts in there aren't even right for 1.09.

11. sangfagel

sangfagel IncGamers Member

Oh- just and this meanigless coversation!!!

12. Green_Squirrel

Meaningless? This guy is going around providing false facts for innocent readers (although minimal readers, seeing how it's a private clan forum). I'm determined to fix this.

13. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Sure it's old. Buy it is STILL a a good way to start for someone who has nothing. Not everyone out there is equipped with top of the line MF gear.

@ RTB, did you notice I said it was old, but still useful ?

14. Gorny

Gorny Banned

15. Superhal

people who blindly support questionable posts is also an old scam (which still happens around here.) somebody puts up an ill-informed post, and everybody ignores it. suddenly, 3-4 new members will post saying how informative the post is, and how useful, etc. it's usually the same guy opening new accounts trying to advertise his post.

the giveaway is that the new posters will not have anything in their post about the previous content other than just vague compliments.

16. Hakai_no_Tenshi

Hakai_no_Tenshi IncGamers Member

That guy needs to lay off the mushrooms .... I haven;t seen a worse post full of misinformation in quite a while.

--T

17. Green_Squirrel

Well it seems he's getting desperate, claiming I flamed him with PM's.

18. Superhal

you didn't? i would, and not in private.

19. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

True :)

It's useful, but the other is more useful... Wish they'd use english screenshots, set Shadow Plate is a nice drop.

20. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Green_Squirrel, Maybe you should pop a link to this thread and THESE forums into that other forum...blow the guy out of the water once and for ll...no?

Also pop a link about this thread into our community forum ?...heh.