Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What is this experience bug I'm hearing about

Discussion in 'Classic' started by LouisLeGros, Apr 30, 2008.

1. LouisLeGros

LouisLeGros IncGamers Member

What is this experience bug I'm hearing about

okay in the last CS run I tried to do didn't go anywhere.

A couple people people wouldn't party because of a low level guy and so 2 partys were created. They didn't want to party the low level guy because "they wouldn't get any experience" if he was in the party.

The game sort of was brought to a standstill and nearly everyone left.

This is far from the first time that I've heard of some experience bug. Last night when I was doing some CS runs I was told to leave the party when Diablo was about to spawn. I was the lowest level in the game (mid 60s I believe) and they said something along the lines that they woldn't get experience if I were in the party.

I know about people under certain levels not being able to get experience, but since I started classic I've seen a ton of this stuff about not wanting low level players in the party and doing so at all costs because it will lessen their experience gained.

So is there some truth to this? Or is WSCCL full of noobs? Or well I can't really say west is really very "full" on classic.

2. squiggle

squiggle IncGamers Member

Re: What is this experience bug I'm hearing about

Only "bug" is you don't get any experience from diablo if there are 8 players in party. So to custom it's the lowest level that leaves party when you get to D.

3. LouisLeGros

ah alright, that sounds fair.

So the people complaining about low levels ruining their exp for the actual CS run are just full of it? I've seen people complaining in just about every kind of run at every difficulty.

4. deichsela

deichsela IncGamers Member

experience-less

I wouldn't say they're full of it. More like... Ignorant.

The ones who refuse to believe something different because they don't want to take the chance (and learn something) I prefer to say, "buncha noobs"... Or "buncha nubs" if they're getting on my nerves.

5. LouisLeGros

alright thanks for clearing that up. I was wondering why classic would have a bug like that but not LoD... but I wasn't completly sure since so many people have told me about it on classic.

6. HegemonKhan

HegemonKhan IncGamers Member

i myself despite how long i've been playing diablo 2 am still not quite sure how exp works in parties.

i just unpartied for diablo to be good mannered but never knew the exact reason, i thought by having a low level with 8 poeple party on diablo made it so the exp given from diablo was greatly reduced cuz of that low level for an 8 person party. so in reading what squiggle said/posted, i learned something new myself.

as for other monsters (otehr than diablo) and exp in parties, i'm not really sure how it works. but possibly parties' exp recieving and sharing is also effected by poeples character levels.

i read that for a single (solo'ing) person exp works about like this:

if monster has a base exp amount of 100 for killing it and that monster is at lvl 10, than if your character is within 5 lvls (lvl 5-15) u will get the full base exp of 100. the further in lvls your character is to the monsters (beyond the 5 lvl range) u get less than the base exp u should normally get. so if u were lvl 3 or lvl 18 at the monster having a lvl of 10 u would get lets say 70 exp instead of the 100 base exp u should have gotten.

hopefully the above doesnt confuse u more. i tried to explain it as simply as i could. but if it ends up being more confusing...well....i tried at any rate.

the workings and mechanics and formulas of exp has always been beyond my understanding, whether in a party or out of a party.

7. HegemonKhan

Re: experience-less

i can't stand how many people still dont understand the cow level/king hidden quest workings....GRR... they wanna keep thinking they understand the rules of king when they are completely wrong..i try to even show them tempest's cow level/king guide on here and they still wanna believe their false info on how it works.....well, i guess i should know better, history points out this is common human behavior: for example: despite the obvious facts that teh earth was round and went around the sun, people still refused to believe gallaleo, thinking the earth is flat and the sun went around the earth...history repeats with the belief in the false understanding with the cow lvl and king....ARGH....

8. deichsela

The Arreat Summit has a great section on experience that I just realized I haven't fully read: http://battle.net/diablo2exp/basics/experience.shtml

9. LouisLeGros

ya I know about the cows. I ran into a group of those people who wouldn't party with me (even though I had made the cow portal) and was trying to tell them how cow king worked.

I got onto my sorc who still could make the portal and at first I tried to hostile them and kill em... but I couldn't enter the portal so I partyed them and killed the cow king and there were stamina potions everywhere. The ones that weren't partyed were like haha it doesn't affect me, but they were still in the cow level at the time. I bet they were surpised when they tried to make a cow portal on those characters.

10. HegemonKhan

great link deich, though its from a different site...

if only there wasn't so much to read, and understand with lots of rules and stuff...too confusing for me to understand very well. but i didnt know about how it changes from u being lvl 0-25, 25-69, 70-99. thats one thing i was kinda able to understood.

only question i have is that..is the workings of exp the same for classic vs LOD....

being a classic player its annoying how most stuff is about LOD, and there's at least some huge differences between classic n LOD, LOD info stuff u read can be useless for us who play classic...

also its annoying trying to figure out whats LOD only stuff and whats also classic or classic only..

it would be really nice if classic and LOD were 100% segregated/separated so not to confuse us who still play on classic, which stuff applies to it.

11. HegemonKhan

loius:

revenge, can be very sweet and justified:D

*grins*

12. LouisLeGros

indeed :evil:

Good thing I use my duriel mules to make my cow levels.

13. deichsela

I've been thinking about making a classic website for a long while... Pretty much just copy/edit relevant information from The Arreat Summit and add information from this forum, simplifying as I go.

There's also the option of making a Classic wiki (with, like, WetPaint).

14. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

There's a similar bug called the wave 2 bug in LoD. That bug involve integer overflow, hence making experience gained negative. The game sanity checks it and sets it to 1. I think it's the same bug here. If the exp gained in LoD is the same, the bug should apply there too.

15. Slik

Slik IncGamers Member

The only bug that exists is that people run past 90% of the mobs in the CS (including minions of the Vizier and the Infector). The exp that Diablo gives is neglegible (until you're lvl93 or so) compared to what you get from the entire CS.

But trying to educate bnet users about this is just hopeless, which is why I try to stick to private runs :)

16. HegemonKhan

concurs.

the problem is also that u got 1 person who IS lvl ~ 93+ (usually ahmmerdin)and they do need/wanna rush diablo kills. but everyone else isnt at lvl ~93 and the cs monsters are very rich in exp for them but not for the lvl 93.

what needs to happen is that all lvl ~93 + players need to do their own diablo killing runs. and the less than lvl 93 players do FULL cs monster clearing runs.

need to separate runs from diablo'ers and cs'ers

17. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

Not sure if that would add much, since, as you state, the information would be from Areat and here.
    As for wet paint, why would you want others to make money off your hard work. At least here, the little money being made off the banners is all being spent on keeping the site alive.

18. LouisLeGros

I hate that, the paladins expect the sorcs to portal right in the middle of the CS so all of the mobs after the river of flames are skipped and then they run to the switches as quickly as possible and don't give a damn about the safety of anyone else in the party, just as long as the barb gives em BO and they get to Diablo as quickly as possible. Oh ya and then most of the time someone won't leave the game and you will have a full 8 party with the diablo kill.

19. deichsela

vhat are you experiencing about

Seems like I would be subtracting and editing or simplifying more than adding, but for new Classic players it would tell them what to expect in Classic.
    Good point. Think we could get a Classic area/page/wiki on Diabloii.Net?