Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What is the ULTIMATE 1.10 cookie-cutter build?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by raffster, Mar 26, 2004.

1. raffster

raffster IncGamers Member

What is the ULTIMATE 1.10 cookie-cutter build?

Today I've been trying to figure out what would be my next (and perhaps last character) that I will build until the next ladder season. I had some good responses but am still uncertain of what I'm going to build next. I have spent a great deal of time the last several days going through the various 1.10 character guide builds in this site and have only become more confused. :p

I read the entire thread that Ferrous started about the Ultimate Party and it seems like there are many forum members here who are knowledgeable about creating the Ultimate Party. I wonder though if there is anybody here who could tell me what he/she thinks is the ultimate cookie-cutter that excels in both PvP and PvM, if there is such a thing.

I have these 8 characters already (#8 is in an account I share with a friend so I have 1 slot left in my account) and I'm pointing out their weaknesses (at least to my experience in PvP) and am not sure if I actually already have the ultimate cookie-cutter build.

1. Hammerdin (enigma) - gets owned bad by bone necros / FOH Pally
    2. FO/Meteor Sorc - gets owned. period
    3. Bonemancer (enigma) - defeated by Blizzard Sorc
    4. CONC Barb (enigma) - good only for melee, occasionally beats sorcs, owned by high def Zealots
    5. Wind Druid (enigma) - a cakewalk for bone necros
    6. LF/PJ Javazon (bramble) - good for Cows...or for most heavily crowded areas and non-teleporting characters
    7. Kickasin (CoH) - fun to play with (made it in the hope to beat the crap out of my CONC barb only to realize I could barely even make a scratch on him. i have two computers that run Diablo 2)
    8. Blizzard Sorc - gets owned by BOTD anti-caster barbs who uses two ravens

I was thinking of the following builds and would like to know what you guys think:
    1. FOH Pally - (name lock, click, death) OK but what if the person has dual perfect Wisps, Tgods, Blackhorn's Face and Lightsabre?
    2. Poisonmancer - very tempting (most inclined to build this one)
    3. Other melee paladin builds - gets owned by FOH's
    4. Trapasins (fire or lightning) - problems when opponent uses absorb gear
    5. Rabbis druid - very tempting too but with low AR can he hit a 40K def pally?
    6. classic Bowazon - I remember getting owned bad by these builds in 1.09 but not too sure if they still do in 1.10
    7. Other sorc builds - powers easily negated by absorb gear
    8. Summoning necro - I don't want to create too much lag but is this build viable?

Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you to the master cookie-cutter builders out there.

2. Ferrous

Ferrous IncGamers Member

There is no ultimate build, or else everyone would be using it. Regardless of your choice of character, you are always going to run into difficulties with any kind of build. If you want an interesting idea though, go to the druid forum and take a look at the flaming rabies build....I haven't used it myself, but it seems pretty decent to me. It endorses the carrion winds bug though...but you can call the shots on that one.

3. DigitalNarcotic

DigitalNarcotic IncGamers Member

for those 40k def palis you could always try the angelic rings/ ammy I guess.

4. Fearox

Fearox IncGamers Member

1. My brother has one of those. It's like a tank in duels, and Fist of Heavens really hurts these days. But, with lots of lightning res (so that the lightning resist doesn't get negative with conviction on) and absorb gear you can stand them and kill this pala with most chars.

2. See my answer in your other tread. I have just built one of those and haven't tried it in duels yet. Without Enigma I think ranged attackers can be a problem though. On the other hand, people will flee from you most of the time :)

3. See my answer in 1. Not that experienced regarding melee palas, but I have a 1.10-zealer and he is very powerful. He can take a lot of damage as well.

4. You're right about absorb, but mind blast is very useful here. My girlfriend uses one of those in duels, and if it gets namelock on a sorc the sorc is toast. Very, very good/annoying character in team duels.

5. I underestimated this one in duels. The poison from rabies doesn't stop at 1. Clever rabies druids use plague bearer (+5 rabies) and keep a Death's web on switch. First they bite, then they switch to get some extra -enemy poison res. And the poison creeper is annoying. Has problems with ranged attackers though (if you're not using Enigma).

6. In Clan Honor Dracul's grasp isn't allowed, but if you don't play by those rules these ones can do wonders. 50% open wounds is really great (watch your opponents life slowly disappear, as if they been poisoned). I tried my 1.09 bowazon in a duel, but she got a good spanking :) I guess it's because her sucky resist though. Remember to give those bonemancers slow missile. Classic bowazons still work I think.

7. Try the sorc forum. I know nothing about sorcs.

8. I don't think summonmancers can work in pvp. But with Enigma, who knows? But where are they gonna get new minions from in the middle of a duel? I don't wanna say that they don't work, cause I haven't tried. Ask in the necro forum. I think I saw a thread about summonmancers in pvp a while ago.

5. toader

toader Banned

Something to keep in mind raff.

ALL duelers can be countered. If the person your dueling has the right gear to almost completly negate you, then you should just give him props and move on. BUT, 99% of the time in public duels, people will not have the gear to counter.

Summoning Necros do not work in duels...even with enigma...I have tried.

Bowmancers with enigma can be very very powerful and annoying. I dont have one, only played against one.

I guess we have it confirmed that rabies psn doesnt stop at 1hp. What a huge bug and with enough run speed and enigma, could be a fun dueler.

FOH pallys and trappers are highly powerful characters in duels. Slightly on the cheap side, but fun for you none the less.

Other sorcs...meh... Fireball and Lightning sorcs are ok, but they get a little boring since you already have a blizzard sorc you can duel with if you wanna.

I dont think you would like a melee pally, but thats just me.

Honestly...the one that sticks out the most that you havent built anything close to yet is a bowazon. They can be widly fun.

Oh, and nothing is saying that we cant see a second raffy account ;) and try out all of the builds on your list.

6. Wolv

Wolv IncGamers Member

If yer only lookin to duel, then my input means crap ;)

I love playing w/ the skellimancer. There are so many fun options/skills to play around w/, esp w/ full trang (amp, then firewall/meteor, then CE...oops lost a skelly - make a new one, ooo gotta revive that black soul, etc). The action is very varied.

I see U have a LF/Psn zon - one of my favs. Curious as to why you went bramble instead of CoH? That bramble will be godly on a psn nec tho :)

Good luck w/ whatever you choose :drink:

7. Jgohan86

Jgohan86 IncGamers Member

i never tried one but a fully synergized chargadin seems pretty lethal to me if you get that insane 1hander weapon with a BOTD runeword or something like that :).

8. robin2010

robin2010 IncGamers Member

just wut exacly is a cookie cutter? i hear ppl say it alot...

9. Ferrous

Ferrous IncGamers Member

Cookie cutter's are builds that are very effective and widely used. They generally have a very specific guidline to point allocation. A very common example would be as follows:
    Wind druid:
    20 Cyclone armor
    20 Twister
    20 tornado
    20 hurricane
    20 Oak Sage

they are named cookie cutters cuz you follow specific guidlines to get a perfect character. Not a point misplaced anywhere or else your build is "ruined"

10. Sober_Irishman69

Sober_Irishman69 IncGamers Member

yes, and common cookie-cutters in 09 were like the bowazon (max multi, max guided, vamp, shaft, WF, etc etc...) and the barb (SS/ccb, shaft, arreats, string, etc, WW barb)

these have become less useful (i dont wnat to say obsolete, but still) since the patch came out