Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

what is the red rune mod?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by killmesh, Jun 18, 2005.

1. killmesh

killmesh IncGamers Member

what is the red rune mod?

i dont know the rules about talking about mods so if this is a nono on here im sorry.
    I only wnt to know what it does i dont think ill use it mainly because i dont like to mess with game rules to make them easier.

2. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

It only changes the color of the text of all runes from white to red when they are on ground and you press ALT.

3. killmesh

wow really thats all?
    i thought it made something along the lines of unique runes drop or something
    know where i can get that mod...also i dont know if asking is ok . if it is not then sorry again

4. Thov

Thov IncGamers Member

Personally, I think that even a mod as innocuous as this is just the key to a pandora's box of problems with mods. I remember when I played on Battle.net, there were plenty of people who had programs that picked up items for them - they would run through a pile of corpses in the cow level, and they would have all the gold on their character. It also had some feature that teleported sorceresses to items worth picking up, and picked them up.

That probably sounds much worse than a mod that makes runes red, but realistically, what's the difference (assuming single player play - multi-player play is obviously a completely different story)? All these mods do is make your life more convenient, by doing something you would do faster, be it identifying runes in a pile or picking up piles of gold or items. However, I doubt that anyone here would condone the use of a program that picked up items, yet the red rune mod seems to be generally accepted.

For those of you that use it, just something to think about.

5. Kool69

Kool69 IncGamers Member

Personally I have no problem with the red r00n mod (I don't use it personally but I don't have problems with people who do) All it does is change a graphic, oh well you might of spent 10 more seconds looking through the pile for r00ns. Not really a big deal. I have no problem with a mod like that, however once you get into those that you mentioned (the pick up mods, bots, chickenhack etc etc etc) that are so very popular on bnet it ruffles my feathers. I will not trade or accept items from those people since they are completely altering the game mechanics... for accepting mods personally its use your common sense when dealing with them.

/words

Rowr!

-Kool69

*edit* couldn't find the red r00n mod by itself, wait until nightfish or someone comes around to give you a link to it.

0% FE Mod + Red Runes:
    http://wreckernl.homestead.com/file..._redrunemod.zip

Reduced FE Mod + Red Runes
    http://wreckernl.homestead.com/file..._redrunemod.zip

Courtisy of nightfish's post which was courtisy of somebody's sig ha =D

Just remember if you download these be prepared for what you will have to deal with, which will be mostly no one will accept your items (If you use anything other than the red r00n mod, some still won't with that mod.) and you will not be able to trade with anyone. Well most everyone, some might still trade with you. And no MP for you. See there are a lot of downsides to using these mods x_x

6. Thov

Thov IncGamers Member

Actually, those programs you mentioned do not touch game mechanics - they work within them to achieve their desired effect. Much like a macro might make a task faster in Windows, they perform certain tasks within Diablo II. Please note, however, that I am not condoning them in any way, I agree that their use is abhorrent, this was just an attempt to clarify the issue.

As for the Red Rune Mod, the reason I compared it to the item grabber is this line -
    With that sort of reasoning, if you say the red rune mod is alright, how can you say otherwise for an item grabber? If someone has it set to pick up items for them in a single player game that they would have picked up anyway, all it does is save them a couple seconds. It doesn't make the game easier, it doesn't do anything they would normally be unable to do - all it does is save some time doing something the player would have done anyway.

7. Kool69

Kool69 IncGamers Member

Okay i concede in this one, but I do agree they are not right.

Hmmm... I see your logic... Actually all of those mods minus chicken hack of course would be "okay" in Single Player as you said they don't do anything the player doesn't already do. However of course that still means I don't condone them. However all the mods including red r00n mod I would not accept in multiplayer, for it gives an unfair advantage over the normal unmodded 1.10 spf player that only sees runes as white. Well you have shook my stand point on the red rune mod. Currently I guess I don't care if they use that mod in Single Player only because we don't trade runes on the SPF. However if they decide to play multiplayer with us they better have a 1.10 patch they can use to play with because I would not accept a red r00n modded character in one of my games. Hmmm.... This is a tough topic... Exactly like politics, people can't really change other people's minds but they insist on arguing their points back and forth =D Well I see all your reasoning behind this, however I still will accept trades with red rune modded people because I don't trade for runes since we can't, however I will not mp with them or use it myself. Yes and I can see all the taint arguments from purists about how the items if I use them would affect my drops thus tainting everything but I really don't care since they are in my eyes legitamently found. Wow i've gone on too long ranting, hopefully you can understand where I am coming from.

-Kool69

8. DougTheHead2

DougTheHead2 IncGamers Member

@Thov: normally people would be jumping in here and renewing the debate over time in d2. It's just been done too often before, I think the SPF is just tired of it. There is no right answer. The compromise is this: Do what you will on your own. If you wish to interact with the community, please state your flavor, vanilla, RRM, etc.

Lots of people use the red runes. Lots of people don't. It doesn't even matter.

9. Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane IncGamers Member

Bolded because normal text can't adequately contain that much truth.

I fail to see the reasoning behind rejection of the red rune mod. Same with the Bnet runewords mod (though I don't use them myself, I have no problem with either of them.) Just because Blizzard added something online but neglected to do so for SP players, doesn't mean we should be left out. (Of course, this only applies to the Bnet runewords.)

But when it comes down to it, what Doug said is right on the dot.

10. Thov

Thov IncGamers Member

You're right, it doesn't matter - it is, after all, just a game, and this is something that doesn't even change it that much. It doesn't affect me in the least, as I haven't traded yet and don't think I will (there's a certain sense of accomplishment from using items you found, IMO), and what others do with their game doesn't affect me. Will I think less of someone's accomplishments if they're using a red rune mod, or a FE mod, or a B.net runewords mod? Probably, to some extent, but not in any way that bothers me, and probably not in any way that bothers them.

What I was talking about was the principle and logic behind the matter. I should have figured, as Doug said, that it's all been said and done many times over, please excuse my oversight there, hopefully my post count will exonerate me there. I'm not trying to rekindle any argument that everyone is sick of, and I have no issue with accepting what the concensus is, even if I disagree with the reasoning behind it.

Sorry to have caused any trouble.

11. killmesh

so basically if you want to use it but dont trade or mp.......eh i guess you could plaY with others with the redrune mod

12. Kool69

Kool69 IncGamers Member

Aye, me too.

My apologies

13. Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane IncGamers Member

@Kool & Thov: Bah, what apologizing? If we can't engage in some sort of argument every now and then, what's the point? :D

No hard feelings, Thov. I do see where you're coming from, and I do respect your opinion. I just disagree with it :)

14. Shakes

Shakes IncGamers Member

I would condone the use of a program that picks up items. It's your game, do what you like with it.

Really though, nearly everyone uses ATMA, and that's an external program. So you can't say something is bad just because it's an external program if you support the use of ATMA. I think there has to be a little more thought put into it than that.

Also, you can't say something is bad just because it gives you an advantage over people who don't use it. Some people have newer computers which load the game faster than and older one. This is undoubtably an advantage, for example when running pindleskin you're going to get a lot more items per hour if your computer loads the game in 1 second rather than 10. Realistically having a faster computer is a huge advantage, far far bigger than using a mod to change the colour of items.

My take on it is you've got to play the game in a way that is fun for you. I don't find hunting through items fun, so I changed the colour of my runes and gems (since I always pick those up, it makes sense to highlight them). I don't like not having access to the latest version of the game (ie what's on battle.net) so I use realm runewords, reduced FE, and have made the annihilus charm drop as a lvl 87 item (not identical to battle.net, but the "least bad" solution IMO). However I am not so presumptuous to pretend the way I play is the way that will be most fun for everyone, and for that reason I would never presume to tell other people the way they play is good or bad. Use a drop mod for all I care, when playing single player it's not really possible to "cheat", since there is nobody you're cheating (arguments about whether you cheat yourself aside).

Of course if you trade or multiplay, things are different as there's more than just yourself to think about, but so long as you let people know what the rules are, it's fine. And really, taking a hostile stance on things like mods is not condusive to that. Everytime people are hostile towards mods, you can bet there's someone out there running a mod who just decides to keep that fact quiet to avoid the controversy. Unfortunately this means everyone loses, since mod uses can't talk honestly about their game, and non-mod uses may end up silently getting items from modded games they wouldn't like.