What is the optimal set-up for an Act III Fire merc?

franzjosef

Diabloii.Net Member
What is the optimal set-up for an Act III Fire merc?

--Okay, nevermind the "why" aspect. I have chosen to run with an Act III Fire merc to go with my Frost Zealot, and I am curious what would be the optimal gear set-up for this lad. I'm thinking something like Dragon/Dragon/Spirit, if I can assemble the requisite runage. But I'm open to other suggestions.
 

Yossarian

Diabloii.Net Member
Shield-Phoenix only choice
Sword-Phoenix or Hand of Justice (both very good)
Armor-Chains of Honor +2 skills and big res or Ormus
Helm-Shako +2 skill 10 Dr huge life bonus

Have fun
 

fbrooks

Diabloii.Net Member
Yossarian said:
Shield-Phoenix only choice
Sword-Phoenix or Hand of Justice (both very good)
Armor-Chains of Honor +2 skills and big res or Ormus
Helm-Shako +2 skill 10 Dr huge life bonus

Have fun
2 x Phoenix, Hand of Justice and Chains of Honor, that means :
2 Vex , 1 cham , 1 jah, 1 Ber, 1 Sur, 2 Lo, 1 Ist and 1 Um !!!!!

You have two choices :
1) you can play D2 for 5 years non-stop and maybe you get the runes, or
2) you can dupe the runes, like this guy probably does.

Indeed, have fun
 

parkerbsb

Diabloii.Net Member
Sword - Spirit
Sheild - Spirit (or dream if you can afford)
Armor - CoH
Helm - Dream

Much cheaper and I'd say still as effective (even with only 1 dream).
 

Chimaira

Diabloii.Net Member
I may be mistaken but I think that the Lightning mercenary does the most damage out of any act3 mercs..If you can get any of the godly gear suggested here then facets, whereever possible!!
 

parkerbsb

Diabloii.Net Member
... that's weird I read that the lightning mercs were bugged and didn't do much damage at all and that fire mercs were the most damaging. Yeah I guess I never thought about facets, so a 6 socketed PB, 4 Socketed armor, 4 socketed sheild and 3 socketed Circlet.

Ooo that would be some serious damage I'd say... but REALLY expensive to get 17 5/5 fire die facets.
 

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Not counting realm-only runewords (as I have no idea what they do):

* Weapon: 6-socketed Crystal Sword with fire Facets
* Armor: Skin of the Vipermagi with fire Facet
* Sheild: Lidless Wall with fire Facet
* Head: Griffon´s Eye with fire Facet

Faster Cast is the key. Cheaper alternatives for armor and head would be a Stealth armor and a nice rare circlet with +20% Faster Cast.


(EDIT: Hand of Justice would indeed be very nice. I didn´t think of that, as only Crescent Moon and Passion from the 1.10 runewords are even in my frame of mind, because all the others require really rare (or more than one rare) runes.)
 

LorveN

D3 Off Topic Moderator
parkerbsb said:
Sword - Spirit
Sheild - Spirit (or dream if you can afford)
Armor - CoH
Helm - Dream

Much cheaper and I'd say still as effective (even with only 1 dream).
Hey! Dreams on this merc will only add the pulse damage, which means a not-so-scary pulse every now and then. Since mercs do not have the ability to put points into lightning mastery, this pulse will barely kill anything at nightmare...
The thing that would do damage is if the merc would start to hit monsters melee, but act3 mercs do not do that very often, even if it happens twice in a year or so ;)
With no lower res, or synergy skills, the pulse is close to useless.
 

BFD

Diabloii.Net Member
parkerbsb said:
Sword - Spirit
Sheild - Spirit (or dream if you can afford)
Armor - CoH
Helm - Dream
If you're going to use Spirit in a shield you're going to need some +str items as at lvl 98 the iron wolf would only have 152 when 156 str is needed to equip a monarch shield (the lowest req 4os shield).

Also, don't forget about ormus' robes with +fireball as that will boost dmg on top of the +10-15% fire dmg.
 

Killer_sss

Diabloii.Net Member
jiansonz said:
Not counting realm-only runewords (as I have no idea what they do):

* Weapon: 6-socketed Crystal Sword with fire Facets
* Armor: Skin of the Vipermagi with fire Facet
* Sheild: Lidless Wall with fire Facet
* Head: Griffon´s Eye with fire Facet

Faster Cast is the key. Cheaper alternatives for armor and head would be a Stealth armor and a nice rare circlet with +20% Faster Cast.


(EDIT: Hand of Justice would indeed be very nice. I didn´t think of that, as only Crescent Moon and Passion from the 1.10 runewords are even in my frame of mind, because all the others require really rare (or more than one rare) runes.)

your setup or this either works. this one offers a better framerate not sure which would be better over all

621.25 with 90%faster cast -25 fireresistance reaching framerate 12 this
spirit sword
grifons eye fire fauceted
skin of vipermagi fire fauceted
3 soc shield fire fauceted
 

Yossarian

Diabloii.Net Member
fbrooks said:
2 x Phoenix, Hand of Justice and Chains of Honor, that means :
2 Vex , 1 cham , 1 jah, 1 Ber, 1 Sur, 2 Lo, 1 Ist and 1 Um !!!!!

You have two choices :
1) you can play D2 for 5 years non-stop and maybe you get the runes, or
2) you can dupe the runes, like this guy probably does.

Indeed, have fun
Hey jerkoff learn to read

I am curious what would be the optimal gear set-up for this lad.
I answered his question. It's his job to get the gear he wants or can afford.

Never duped never will, don't use hack and have played since 2 days after D2 hit the market.
 

Gaza0469

Diabloii.Net Member
check out the merc guide edited by myself in my signature - its the complete works of around 100 ppl on these very forums and from many ppl from Amazon Basin.

Fire Merc -

**Iron Wolf Equipment***
*** SETUPS ***

Ladder SETUP

Spirit = Tal + Thul + Ort + Amn ( 4 Socket Shield or Sword)

-Spirit Shield ( Ladder Only)
-Spirit Sword ( Ladder Only )
-Ormus Robes with + 3 to Fireball
-Shako

With This Setup
70%-80% Fast Cast ( 18 frames base down to 13 frames)
+6 All Skills
+3 To FB or GS

Non Ladder SETUP ( or poorer version of build )

-Lidless Wall Shield – ( 20% Fast Cast , +1 All Skills)
-Peasant Crown - ( +1 Skills )
-Skin of Vipermagi ( 30% FC, resys, +1 Skills)
-Hexfire sword for Fire ( +3 Skills )


Your Merc would then have :

For Fire
50% FC ( 18 to 14 frames )
+6 All Skills



You want +skills and Faster Cast Rate. Everything else is secondary because they tend to survive fairly well on their own unless you let them get swarmed. The new Spirit runeword is good for their weapon. You would need +strength on your helm/armor to let them use a Spirit shield since it can only be made in a Monarch, which requires 156 strength (146 if ethereal). They top out at 153 str at level 98 and have 137 str at level 85, just to give you an idea. You'll need some +strength stuff to equip this shield at an earlier level.

Spells

Fire: Inferno and FireBall

IN REGARDS TO SPIRIT :::

Iron wolves top out at 153 strength.

The required strength for a monarch sheild with 4 sockets is 156.

Therefore a more realistic level is perhaps level 90 here he would have 143 strength.

U would have to give him some rare armor with +20 strength and socket that with say an ammethyst to give another +10 or a jewel with say +9.


all hard gear to get, but if you are rich, definately worthwhile.

Once he got to level 95 then u could socket say Ormus robes with +10 stength gem , or +9 jewel
 

Killer_sss

Diabloii.Net Member
Gaza0469 said:
check out the merc guide edited by myself in my signature - its the complete works of around 100 ppl on these very forums and from many ppl from Amazon Basin.

Fire Merc -

**Iron Wolf Equipment***
*** SETUPS ***

Ladder SETUP

Spirit = Tal + Thul + Ort + Amn ( 4 Socket Shield or Sword)

-Spirit Shield ( Ladder Only)
-Spirit Sword ( Ladder Only )
-Ormus Robes with + 3 to Fireball
-Shako

With This Setup
70%-80% Fast Cast ( 18 frames base down to 13 frames)
+6 All Skills
+3 To FB or GS

Non Ladder SETUP ( or poorer version of build )

-Lidless Wall Shield – ( 20% Fast Cast , +1 All Skills)
-Peasant Crown - ( +1 Skills )
-Skin of Vipermagi ( 30% FC, resys, +1 Skills)
-Hexfire sword for Fire ( +3 Skills )


Your Merc would then have :

For Fire
50% FC ( 18 to 14 frames )
+6 All Skills



You want +skills and Faster Cast Rate. Everything else is secondary because they tend to survive fairly well on their own unless you let them get swarmed. The new Spirit runeword is good for their weapon. You would need +strength on your helm/armor to let them use a Spirit shield since it can only be made in a Monarch, which requires 156 strength (146 if ethereal). They top out at 153 str at level 98 and have 137 str at level 85, just to give you an idea. You'll need some +strength stuff to equip this shield at an earlier level.

Spells

Fire: Inferno and FireBall

IN REGARDS TO SPIRIT :::

Iron wolves top out at 153 strength.

The required strength for a monarch sheild with 4 sockets is 156.

Therefore a more realistic level is perhaps level 90 here he would have 143 strength.

U would have to give him some rare armor with +20 strength and socket that with say an ammethyst to give another +10 or a jewel with say +9.


all hard gear to get, but if you are rich, definately worthwhile.

Once he got to level 95 then u could socket say Ormus robes with +10 stength gem , or +9 jewel
i believe you would get more bang braking cast rates and lowering resist plus 8 to skills instead of plus 3 to skills doesn't make that much difference without synergies and firemastery plus the fact that you have to waste a str jewel or 2 just to let your merc wear a spirit shield is rediculous.
 

Gaza0469

Diabloii.Net Member
Killer_sss said:
i believe you would get more bang braking cast rates and lowering resist plus 8 to skills instead of plus 3 to skills doesn't make that much difference without synergies and firemastery plus the fact that you have to waste a str jewel or 2 just to let your merc wear a spirit shield is rediculous.

I just like to provide all the options - not everyone goes for standard cookie cutter choices and some ppl like to mix it up.

A lot of people dont know that iron wolves strength tops out pretty low, so I just added that in as a point of reference.
 

Killer_sss

Diabloii.Net Member
Epsilon Eyez said:
The Ultimate Merc Guide does not list +skills as working, and I have used +skills on a Lightning Act III Merc and it did nothing. I think Killer_sss or jiansonz equipment suggestions would work best.
i does help boost dmg but you can barely tell due to the fact there are no synergies raising the dmg especially lightning dmg.
 

RTB

Diabloii.Net Member
The act3 mercs skills do synergize, but still their dmg is hardly worth noting. For example, a lvl 98 Lightning merc does 1 - 1217 dmg with his Lightning.

+all skills, +fire skills and +to specific skill work on mercs.
 

Epsilon Eyez

Diabloii.Net Member
Whoops, my mistake. I did read the whole thing one or two times, but I never noticed it said mercs do get damage from +skills.
 

Jell-O

Diabloii.Net Member
BFD said:
If you're going to use Spirit in a shield you're going to need some +str items as at lvl 98 the iron wolf would only have 152 when 156 str is needed to equip a monarch shield (the lowest req 4os shield).
Unless someone already pointed it out, Chains of Honor gives you +20 strength.
Without the possibility to socket amethysts in any of the items, that still requires quite a high level mercenary, but at least it helps reducing the levels needed a little bit.
 

Killer_sss

Diabloii.Net Member
RTB said:
The act3 mercs skills do synergize, but still their dmg is hardly worth noting. For example, a lvl 98 Lightning merc does 1 - 1217 dmg with his Lightning.

+all skills, +fire skills and +to specific skill work on mercs.
i realize they do synergize i just meant fireball does not get a synergy from the merc because he doesn't have the firebolt or metor skill.
 
Top