What is the ONE thing Blizzard HAS to do right?

Apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: What is the ONE thing Blizzard HAS to do right?

i changed my mind. the one thing bliz has to get right is send me a beta invite. they screwed this up with D2 and needs to get fixed with D3

ManiaCCC

Diabloii.Net Member

Ah, i see. If you meant randomized outdoor areas with "randomization" there is nothing contradictory in this post.

I also agree with you here. Static outdoor areas worry me too.
But outdoor areas are also randomized... did I miss something?

Claymenza

Diabloii.Net Member

Nope i am not, so far i seen only generic "play during night time and lets pretend its scary" and similar C class tries to set the mood.

The fallen look as goofy as ever and the only monsters that has been impressive was the thousand pounder and the siegebreaker.

Besides i want the feeling from diablo 1 not the feeling from diablo 2.

diablo 2 was a colorful little vacation without any sense of danger nor dread to me. The mood failed hard in diablo 2 so i am only glad that they wont try to get that back.

heck playing diablo 1 even today has more atmosphere then diablo 2 ever had to me. While i dont want it to feel like dead space or something similar so far it just look and feel like a generic arpg to me. Hopefully blizzcon will change that.
The word you're looking for is....

GOTHIC!

Diablo 2 lost its gothic feeling from Diablo 1. I think it's best if we just try to adapt to the new style.

Moonfrost

Diabloii.Net Member

But outdoor areas are also randomized... did I miss something?
As far as we know, outdoor areas have "pockets of randomness" but are otherwise static. I imagine each area has certain spots where the terrain can randomly change and where minor paths can branch out from the main road - sometimes related to side quests, sometimes not - but other than that everything will look the same in each play-through.

Apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member

outdoor randomness is somewhat overrated imo. i think being random is important but even with all the randomness in D2 much of it felt exactly the same. act 3 jungle was random yet always felt the same to me. act 2 before the tombs was always the same except the location of the tombs. monster randomness is the most important thing imo, not knowing what you will encounter next is a great thing. also I think its good to have some static environments in the game, gives them more of an “epic” feel I think. like reaching certain landmarks that are always there or something. all in all I think D3 will have enough randomness where the replay value will in no way be hurt by it. I really think the end game will be the biggest component when talking about replay value or lack of

lone_wolf

Diablo: IncGamers Member

The word you're looking for is....

GOTHIC!

Diablo 2 lost its gothic feeling from Diablo 1. I think it's best if we just try to adapt to the new style.
there is nothing that say they could not make the new style look gothic and have an atmosphere there is much they could change with the right use of shadows and lightning. They just have to make sure not to go anime on us... or worst.

In the name of Zod

Diabloii.Net Member

Randomness of outdoor areas is done so that the movement on to new area's place is located randomly within the map so you don't end up endlessly following the edge. I'd say that part of the randomness is very important considering how much running around the edges of maps I did in D2.

cacophony

Diabloii.Net Member

Randomness of outdoor areas is done so that the movement on to new area's place is located randomly within the map so you don't end up endlessly following the edge. I'd say that part of the randomness is very important considering how much running around the edges of maps I did in D2.
God no. The borders and main story related transition points should be fixed in outdoor areas; like you said, no more hugging the edges just to finish the damn quest. But what you're suggesting is kind of like the Maggot Lair in Far Oasis. You'd have to hunt down the natural transition points randomly throughout a big zone.

How about the basic geography of an outdoor area is fixed; the entrance and exit are in the same places, as well as the outer borders. However, the monsters, random dungeons, and random quests are put around randomly throughout the zone. Also, certain geometric oddities (random chokepoint rocks, line of sight blocking trees, etc) would probably be random too. But entrance, exit, and outer borders should be fixed.

In the name of Zod

Diabloii.Net Member

God no. The borders and main story related transition points should be fixed in outdoor areas; like you said, no more hugging the edges just to finish the damn quest. But what you're suggesting is kind of like the Maggot Lair in Far Oasis. You'd have to hunt down the natural transition points randomly throughout a big zone.

How about the basic geography of an outdoor area is fixed; the entrance and exit are in the same places, as well as the outer borders. However, the monsters, random dungeons, and random quests are put around randomly throughout the zone. Also, certain geometric oddities (random chokepoint rocks, line of sight blocking trees, etc) would probably be random too. But entrance, exit, and outer borders should be fixed.
Well we know there will be some scripted monster events. So these will not be random. But the matter of monsters being randomly placed comes down to how random exactly? Its hard to say this will matter too much anyhow since most area's will likely have limited monster variety if its anything like D2. The only time I noticed much monster randomness in D2 was with the guest monsters in Act V nightmare & hell.

In D1 you often had to look for stairs going down which could be anywhere on the map. It worked fine for as long as the map wasn't too big. If the map is massive then it would be like endless durance of hate runs which would suck. We can only hope common sense prevails but as I vaguely recall, they don't want any more running around edges. Transitions will be located within the map, as to how it is implemented I don't know but I hear you cacophony.

Moonfrost

Diabloii.Net Member

We do know that players will always be traveling north, sort of like how they did in D2 Act 3. It makes the most sense, mainly due to the camera angle (if you go north you see more of what's ahead of you). I guess we'll have to wait until Blizzcon to find out just what "pockets of randomness" means.

I thought they meant "random events" with "pockets of randomness". I don't think there will be even small random terrain changes in any area of the overworld.

Sass

Diabloii.Net Member

From what it sounds to me, the map will be the same, like the Tamoe Highland, but monsters, trees, paths and misc houses / cavern placements will be randomized with possible events in some areas.

TheMythe

Diablo: IncGamers Member

LOL, than it would come down to loading area times...
IF area load = 4 seconds
THEN
2 events are loaded
ELSE
1 event is loaded

It'll be fun to stopwatch it ;)