What is the ONE thing Blizzard HAS to do right?

Claymenza

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: What is the ONE thing Blizzard HAS to do right?

Honestly, i can't just pick one thing Blizzard has to do right, its about the game as a whole.
I really dislike these simplistic dichotomies replacing complex and real discussions about difficult broad abstract concepts to the smallest of details and everything in between, certainly when you already dismiss certain criticisms as whining and complaining just because they're supposedly trivial to you.
This post wins.

I think we're putting too much pressure on blizzard just because we know they read the forums. Regardless, whatever they put out there will end up a solid product. If we don't like it now, there's always a chance blizzard will change our opinions later.

Remember when a long time ago, pc gamers hated Halo. Fast forward to 2010, all first person shooters have rechargeable health, two weapons, melee on every gun, and ranking systems.

lone_wolf

Diablo: IncGamers Member

This post wins.

I think we're putting too much pressure on blizzard just because we know they read the forums. Regardless, whatever they put out there will end up a solid product. If we don't like it now, there's always a chance blizzard will change our opinions later.

Remember when a long time ago, pc gamers hated Halo. Fast forward to 2010, all first person shooters have rechargeable health, two weapons, melee on every gun, and ranking systems.
Funny your missing a lot of fps that does not. I Still dislike halo and hate the flood(meaningless cannon food enemies have never interested me) . For a console fps its passable but vs real fps on the pc its laughable in my opinion.

Jimbob

Diabloii.Net Member

If it doesn't feel like a Diablo game, but instead feels like like WoW turned into a hack'n'slash RPG. I hope the change in art style doesn't change that feel. Some people may not care if it doesn't feel like a Diablo game though, they just want it to be a fun hack'n'slash RPG.

If the game doesn't end up being on par with the first two games than I hope it get's terrible enough ratings that would make Blizzard want to work on Diablo 4 as soon as possible with a different Dev team that would take it back to the root's of the first two games.

Zarniwoop

Diabloii.Net Member

This post wins.

We still hate halo. Halo is the most inexplicable product ever created in terms of its success.

ThomasJ

Diabloii.Net Member

We still hate halo. Halo is the most inexplicable product ever created in terms of its success.
And WoW is not ? WoW = I want to be Warhammer so bad but Games Workshop won't let me.

lone_wolf

wow is not a product its a drug for its users

Zarniwoop

Diabloii.Net Member

And WoW is not ? WoW = I want to be Warhammer so bad but Games Workshop won't let me.
Not a very apt analogy. Halo actually was a seriously substandard game (in my opinion) from the get go if you looked across all platforms. It was apparently brilliant for a console game, but PC gamers despise it because it led developers to imagine that's what we wanted to play. We didn't and still don't.

WoW was and is a very, very good game.

Apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member

2 biggest things for me are replay value and controls. i think i change the control layout for every single game i play. i use a fairly unique set of controls and no game even comes close to having default controls that i like. you could pretty much change them all for D2 so i assume it can be done in D3 but who knows.

as for replay value this is a given.

Kaknoos

Diabloii.Net Member

The ONE thing Blizzard HAS to do right is not releasing it before it's done :scratchchin:
by all other subjects i've seen, stop judging before playing.

I just trust this game is just gonna be another masterpiece of work like any other of blizzard's games :thumbup:

D jr

Diabloii.Net Member

Aren't ya'll forgetting an area where diablo 2 pretty much failed? --> dupes

For me it would be dupes in diablo 3. If i would get that feeling like in diablo 2 where the high runes never drop but somehow everybody has them equiped them i would not be interested in it.

lone_wolf

simple solution play sp like i did, you never have problems with hacks, cheats, dupes or idiotic people unless you choose to interact with them.

Apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member

The ONE thing Blizzard HAS to do right is not releasing it before it's done :scratchchin:
by all other subjects i've seen, stop judging before playing.

I just trust this game is just gonna be another masterpiece of work like any other of blizzard's games :thumbup:
when D3 is released in when it will be done. there will be bugs and balance issues when it is released, could be tomorrow or could be 2019 its not gonna be perfect. when its done pretty much means as long as they can wait to start making money off of it

being said i agree i think this will be a fun game but they have yet to show me anything that makes me think it will be more fun than d2 was when i first played it. blizzcon hopefully reveals to us some of the end game ideas they have in store for us

In the name of Zod

Diabloii.Net Member

Everything else is fair game, but don't spoil the mood. And you?
I want there to be those 'prestige' items that are impossible to get. I know how important it was for them to be in D2, they create a very important sense of wealth and excitement behind every big drop in the game. If every item is obtainable within 6-12 months then I feel the game will die so quickly and all this wait would have been for nothing. I want those prestigious items like D2's grandfathers, tyreals, IKSC, sojs & windforces in there.

Randomization and, by extension, replayability. The game's success greatly depends on it.
I remember you were saying randomization's effect on replayability was minor. Did you gain experience level, did you lie or do i lie?

Moonfrost

Diabloii.Net Member

I remember you were saying randomization's effect on replayability was minor. Did you gain experience level, did you lie or do i lie?
I don't remember the context in which I said that (or saying it all, to be honest) so I can't really tell. Perhaps you remember the general topic we discussed?

http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=771617

Your first reply and you went further in the thread as usual ofc. Didn't want to quote next posts because this is already pretty big.

Long-term computer game replayability isn't about making the game fun to replay, it's about giving players an incentive to replay the game in the first place. Randomization is only there to make the game less boring to replay once you decide to take that step.

Imagine playing a lottery where no prize was offered. You can play but you cannot win anything. It's very random, indeed, but without an incentive to keep playing, you'll get bored and move on to other, more interesting things pretty quickly. In short, it's the small chance of winning that motives the player to play over and over again, thus promoting replayability.

Here's a short summary of how one improves a computer game's replayability:

1. Introduce some kind of character progression system that periodically rewards players for their progress, mainly by letting them improve their character. These "rewards" come at fairly regular intervals.
2. Add a cap to said progression system, either through a hard cap (level cap) or a soft cap (making further level gains very difficult). Make any progression past this point strictly item-based. These item-based rewards come at less regular intervals.
3. Add powerful items that require a very high level to use and make them exceedingly rare. These very rare item-based rewards come at the least regular intervals. This makes them exclusive and gives players an incentive to continue playing the game, since they want to possess these rare items and in doing so distinguish themselves from other players.
4. Make sure the end game content is slightly randomized; not so much that it becomes hard to develop a strategy that gives players an edge over other players, and not so little that it makes farming static and tedious.
5. Congratulations - provided your game rests on the foundations of a solid character/skill/item system, people will likely play it for years to come.

That's all there is to it. You periodically provide the player with rewards to make them used to being rewarded. Then you gradually make those rewards less common; once players are used to being rewarded at a certain rate, they will have no problem spending more time to unlock the next reward. Then you keep escalating that until you have the time:reward ratio most MMOs use in their endgame.

As for D3, I have absolutely no doubts the developers know what made D2 stick around for so long and how to repeat that in D3. I have my fears that the static outdoor enviroments will hurt replayability, because that's how I felt about Titan Quest. As permaximum says, once you've played through that game once that's pretty much it and since leveling up a new character - to the point where most of the progression is item-based - takes so long, I didn't feel like making another character.

This is why I hope co-op D3 will be more than enough fun to make up for static enviroments, but as always it's hard to say for sure at this point, given that we know very little about the actual game.

Sass

Diabloii.Net Member

Perm, nothing he said was self contradictory, nor out of place at all.

Maybe explain what you mean when you accuse people of things rather than just ask if they lied?

Moonfrost

Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah, the gist of my post was that randomization alone won't make a addictive, replayable game; that randomization needs to be well supported by other mechanics.

The reason I mentioned randomization in this thread was that, as explained in the quoted post, lack of randomized outdoor areas is one of the few negative things I've seen of D3 so far, so to me it's important that they get it right.

I guess I'll just have to eat my words another time, Perm. :)

Ah, i see. If you meant randomized outdoor areas with "randomization" there is nothing contradictory in this post.

I also agree with you here. Static outdoor areas worry me too.

Sass

Diabloii.Net Member

He isn't limited to meaning outdoor areas.