What is the ONE thing Blizzard HAS to do right?

Adree

Diabloii.Net Member
What is the ONE thing Blizzard HAS to do right?

After all the whining and complaining about almost every aspect of the game on the official forums, I'm curious to hear what you all think about what would kill Diablo 3 for you. It can't be something as simple as a starfish helmet.

Personally, I love the art style, love the environments, the classes, their abilities, I am agreeable to basically any mechanic, system, or graphic they've demonstrated so far.

The one thing that would kill the game for me is if they don't get the tone right.

If there is no sense of increasing danger, this game will fade away very quickly for me. I want the dungeons and environs to feel like lairs that are saturated with evil, radiating out from the core. If I feel like I'm roaming around in a loot supermarket, that would absolutely kill it for me.

Everything else is fair game, but don't spoil the mood. And you?

tRieper

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: What is the ONE thing Blizzard HAS to do right?

After all the whining and complaining about almost every aspect of the game on the official forums, I'm curious to hear what you all think about what would kill Diablo 3 for you. It can't be something as simple as a starfish helmet.

Personally, I love the art style, love the environments, the classes, their abilities, I am agreeable to basically any mechanic, system, or graphic they've demonstrated so far.

The one thing that would kill the game for me is if they don't get the tone right.

If there is no sense of increasing danger, this game will fade away very quickly for me. I want the dungeons and environs to feel like lairs that are saturated with evil, radiating out from the core. If I feel like I'm roaming around in a loot supermarket, that would absolutely kill it for me.

Everything else is fair game, but don't spoil the mood. And you?

The mood would kill it for me, I played world of warcraft for about six years after playing diablo and world of warcraft is so fruity when diablo is so much more dark to me so i hope it still retains the same feeling of diablo 1 and 2

fromtheshadow

Diabloii.Net Member

if the art design of characters and monsters is wacky and disproportionate. so far most of the art is ok, but the wizard helm is what i think is unacceptable and if they have many more things like this, I may not buy the game entirely.

Monster

Diabloii.Net Member

The sets also tend to be very bold and have a unique look, but (and maybe most importantly) maintain a coherent silhouette and look throughout all the items. The wizard in particular tends to have larger headdresses.
This is a Bashiok quote. You may as well quit following Diablo 3 right now and save yourself the grief.

Sass

Diabloii.Net Member

Skill hot keys.

If I can change them to how I need them and name locking is possible, I'm good.

Tone atmosphere, mood and blah blah come in a close second. I'm more interested in how the game plays than how it looks.

Frank_the_tank

Diabloii.Net Member

I'll agree on the tone being important, but I actually trust Blizzard on this. I think they'll set a nice tone even with this art direction.

Over the top visual effects cluttering the screen could be a deal breaker. It does look a bit messy when 4 players go all in which is worrying.

Another concern is the Monk class. What we have seen of the Monk from last years Blizzcon looks terrible. He/she got no "Diablo feeling" going on whatsoever, in my humble opinion. I'm gonna stay calm until this years Blizzon though, since he might just have gotten an overhaul. Bit silly but I feel quite strongly about this. ;)

Also, while it might not ruin it for me, I have a feeling that I wont like the health globe system. And since it's a core part of the gameplay that might be a problem.

That wasn't ONE thing, but hey there you go.

Last edited:

Moonfrost

Diabloii.Net Member

Randomization and, by extension, replayability. The game's success greatly depends on it.

ThomasJ

Diabloii.Net Member

Immersion for me. If it doesn't look and feel like a Diablo game then I will be disappointed. I know gameplay is important but why call it Diablo 3 if it doesn't have that Diablo theme going. Thats is just how I am looking at it.

konfeta

Diabloii.Net Member

Late game and randomization. Tons of ARPGs out there are fun the first time you play through them. And then you realize the game is over because it wasn't well designed when it comes to replaying it.

Doppel

Banned

Honestly, i can't just pick one thing Blizzard has to do right, its about the game as a whole.
I really dislike these simplistic dichotomies replacing complex and real discussions about difficult broad abstract concepts to the smallest of details and everything in between, certainly when you already dismiss certain criticisms as whining and complaining just because they're supposedly trivial to you.

lone_wolf

Diablo: IncGamers Member

@ OP one thing? get real its not one thing that makes or breaks a game its several.

For me its

1 The tone of the game(have not seen anything yet that make this a diablo game)
2 Customization(items, skills, stats everything)
3 replayability
4 visuals of the game(hopefully later, acts, gear sets and monsters will look better)

cacophony

Diabloii.Net Member

End game balance; item wise, skill wise, and especially PvP wise. Also, Mac version.

Glass

Diabloii.Net Member

I don't think I could pick anything in advance, they would have to announce something that I really didn't like.

For example, I cancelled my Starcraft II pre-order when they announced Australian and New Zealand players would be restricted to the South East Asian server, but I ended up buying it after they promised we would have access to the US server 2 months after release.

But if I was seeing this thread on a Starcraft II fansite I wouldn't have said "I must have access to the US server".

I guess, the release date: if it's not released next year I'm not buying it.

theeliminator

Outside of a few minor things I like what I have seen from the game, so all I need them to do is release the game.

lone_wolf

Diablo: IncGamers Member

You are joking, right?
Nope i am not, so far i seen only generic "play during night time and lets pretend its scary" and similar C class tries to set the mood.

The fallen look as goofy as ever and the only monsters that has been impressive was the thousand pounder and the siegebreaker.

Besides i want the feeling from diablo 1 not the feeling from diablo 2.

diablo 2 was a colorful little vacation without any sense of danger nor dread to me. The mood failed hard in diablo 2 so i am only glad that they wont try to get that back.

heck playing diablo 1 even today has more atmosphere then diablo 2 ever had to me. While i dont want it to feel like dead space or something similar so far it just look and feel like a generic arpg to me. Hopefully blizzcon will change that.

RurouniRonin

Diabloii.Net Member

^I'm with you 100% brother!

I want little kids to be scared to play this game. Just like I would literally be too scared to enter certain rooms in D1 when I was about 9.

nothing sets the mood better then the strum of those guitar strings when your in town.

We want this game to be different then any other "lord of the rings/WoW" fantasy garbage.

We want the most evil game ever created. We want Diablo.

konfeta

Diabloii.Net Member

As atmospheric as Diablo 1 was, I don't think we will ever truly return to it. The music composer is gone, the pseudo-christian/satanism stuff is gone, Diablo is now a created universe, the game is centered around plow-through action.