Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What is the moat trick?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by fiercex, Mar 27, 2004.

1. fiercex

fiercex IncGamers Member

What is the moat trick?

I've heard of the moat trick while killing meph, could someone explain what this is? Sorry for my noobish question but just wondering...

2. Icarus

Icarus IncGamers Member

go down to durance 3.

go up so meph just sees you and starts following you. then run back to the moat. teleport over and meph will most likely follow and be stuck on the other side. make sure you're out of range of his attacks( ice orb, lightning, etc ).

from across the moat you can safely spam meteor or firewalls or whatever spell. however it works best with meteor and firewall.

3. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

The moat trick allows you to kill mephi from complete safety. This allows you to use your weapon swich for extra MF even doing so reduces your resists to -50. Do it as follows:

when you enter floor3 in the durance, teleport over the wall to the north of you right away. If brem and gang are NOT on the middle path, teleport further north, keeping to the right enough so brem wont go onto that middle path in an attempt to follow you. Teleport straight to mephi.
    Now teleport to the bottom of the mephi area, just left of the pathway to the red portal. So you have basically teleported around the durance counter clockwise.

Check if mephi follows you.
    If mephi follows you, teleport across te moat, placing you on the left path of the durance. You should not go too far left on this area or you will activate the council guy who is in the left room.

Mephisto will move around a bit on the stairs leading down into the moat. Since he can't swim, he will be moving around there a bit nervously. If you keep your distance to him large enough, he wont attack you. You can kill him with blizzard, Fwall or meteor now and noone will attack you.

If when you entered lvl 3 and teleported across the wall north of you, you see brem and gang are on that middle path, you need to lure them away from there. If you don't, they will attack you when you are killing mephi. Just lure em down and away of that path before teleporting around.

Sometimes the council seems to be not so willing to follow you downwards. If they are not imune for the attack of your choise, you can just as well kill them as well. If i kill them, i usually do so from the same position as where i kill mephi from since then i wont be disturbed by any other monsters.

4. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

5. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

also, part of the meph sprite needs to be offscreen, then he won't attack you.

also, a merc's presence will cause him to attack.