Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What is the BEST weapon combo for frenzy?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Xeonplz, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Xeonplz

Xeonplz IncGamers Member

What is the BEST weapon combo for frenzy?

I was thinking Grief/Botd zerk axe's but then i saw "last wish" and i thought that would be a GREAT addition to grief with its mods like 60%Crushing blow/10% Chance to cast 18 life tap on strike/lvl17 might aura when equiped. So yea takeing into accout those mods i think it would be great for a frenzy barb, granted ive seen alot of people say beast but i figure i would just place that on my merc.

What i know is i want grief thats for shur set in stone but the other hand....thats the one i would like feedback on

2. TheBassman

TheBassman IncGamers Member

I'm no frenzy expert but I'd think Death would be a good runeword to consider.

~LesC

3. soul killer

soul killer Banned

eDeath/LW+Beast=best wepon combo ever.

4. Silent Shaddow

Silent Shaddow IncGamers Member

the numbers show that beast+grief is actually the best combo...
    LW loses out of ebotd/grief/beast
    -silent

5. SirBeetle

SirBeetle IncGamers Member

my friend's tried every combo and so far, death+ebotd was the fastest killer.

6. soul killer

soul killer Banned

Beast+Grief is for ww mainly.
    Ive got Beast+LW and both compliment each other very well, Beasts Fanat. makes me hit the last bp and LWs Might and life tap give me best kill speed and safety in sticky situations.

7. Spankeh

Spankeh IncGamers Member

Since we are talking frenzy, fastest killing is ebotd and edeath.
    But to kill even quicker, cast decrepify first with 2x Lawbringers, then switch back to ebotd and edeath

That means NO Lifetap, NO Dracs, and NO Lastwish, understand?
    Decrepify becomes your safety device from now on.

:thumbsup:

8. Xeonplz

Xeonplz IncGamers Member

Geez all these are great ideas/combos but n1 is giveing reasons on why there combo is better then the rest =[. I really dont want to buy like 8 high runewords to try them -_- myself =p. Keep the posts coming

9. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Banned

Ebotd and Death CBs are the best combo because they provide high speed (with Ebotd as main weapon), crushing blow, deadly strike, range, damage, and other mods that are useful for frenzy. This is the plain and simple quickest killer. Combine with LoH, Highlords and other damage gear, this combo is GG.

People do like runewords like beast and last wish, although beast requires an axe, so it means you have to make a more specialized character.

10. lagalot

lagalot IncGamers Member

Youll have trouble equipping beast on a merc seeing none of them can carry axes hammers or scepters which are the required base weapon for beast.

I personally like last wish and have a magic finder with dual last wish and merc using infinity and I love the char.
    For pure frenzy damage and speed id agree with spankeh and greyghost on edeath/ebotd.Its a hard combo to fault for frenzy.

11. Spankeh

Spankeh IncGamers Member

Ok, first up...

As a seasoned frenzier... i CANNOT stand non indestructable weapons for this build, and heres why...

1. Repairing these hi powered runeword weapons really is a big pain, since they break fast, and cost heaps to fix.
    2. Non indestruct weaps do half the physical damage as etheral indestruct weapons. Got that?

Lets now talk about weapons

Beast:

Beast is a very good weapon for frenzy, but not the best.
    The crushing blow, open wounds, great boost to strength, and fanata aura, are godly for uber running, but...
    1. Non indestruct weapon will break b4 the hellfire drops
    2. Even with lvl 9 fanata, (+186% ED) this weapon does much lower damage than other weapons ill soon discuss.
    3. +29%ias from fanata can be gained elsewhere to hit 5fpa bp
    4. I do like the 80% to attack rating from fanata, since it gives both weapons equipped this bonus

Lastwish:

Last wish has some incredible mods, but, when it all adds up, it does less damage than etheral indestruct weapons.
    If you combine it with beast, then this combo will equal etheral indestruct weapons, but these will break, FAST, the others will not.
    Like Beast, Lastwish has no leach.
    Lastwish is typically used to kill ubers by noobs.
    The mods on this weapon plug holes on a chars build, which primarily are from incorrectly placed points and stats, and/or item/charm selections.
    For extemely skilled/experienced frenziers, Lastwish really is their lastwish weapon, not their first.

Grief:

Because frenzy doesnt require hi ranged weapons (like range 3) and Grief has +x damage, it suits a phase blade better than a Berserker axe.
    Phase blades are indestructable, and waay faster base attack speed.
    The -25% defence works well against bosses, (the ignore target defence does NOT) helps this connect against tough hi-defence monsters.
    A roll of even 30%ias will still hit the fastest breakpoint
    Excellent damage to Demons at hi clvls
    Downfall of this weapon is, no leech, crushing blow, but at least some % of Deadly strike.
    Forget the -% enemy posion resist mod, will do fark all for a frenzier, good for a ww pvp build though.
    My third favourite frenzy weapon

Breath Of The Dying:

Suits Frenzy down pat.
    Awesome damage via etheral indestruct, life and mana leech, extra damage to undead, lower requirements via hel rune, 30 all attributes lowers expenditure of points spread, -25% target defence, awesome 60%ias hits final breakpoint.
    Since a frenzier is permanently toe to toe with enemy (and non shield), life (and mana) leech is paramount. This is, such a crucial mod to have on this build, (and a lot of it) and makes ebotd a frenziers main hand weapon of choice.
    Lacks crushing blow deadly strike and open wounds, which would make this runeword rediculous, but hey its still godly.

Death:

Since the Frenzy skill doesnt check for off hand weapon's ias, (just base weapon speed) Death more than makes up for botds lack of deadly strike and crushing blow
    This runeword is the cream for this build
    Awesome damage via etheral indestruct, 50% crushing blow, 50% deadly strike, freezes multiple targets via ctc glacial spike, attack rating boost, a little mana steel, hel rune lowers requirements -20%
    Just an allround godly weapon for general play and ubers. Dont leave home without it.

Lawbringer:

This is THE godly switch weapon. Nothing beats it because of its high (20%) chance to cast lvl 18 decrepify curse.
    With 2 Lawbringers equipped, thats 40% ctc, and because of its -50% target enemy defence, it casts after only a couple of swings
    As soon as decrep comes up, switch back to main weaps, and watch baal, diablo and even ubers die die die faster than any other combo.
    You can switch out one lawbringer, and add a grief, and this just cuts everything to ribbons, since undead have no physical resists with Sanctuary aura on, and decrep casting every third second.
    DO NOT under estimate this combo
    Forget about etheral Lacerators or etheral stormlash's, Lawbringer is THE most ridiculous switch gear, its exceeds quick killing for standard play over ebotd and edeath, bar ubers, and tough bosses, where deadly strike and crushing blow come into play

Axe or Swords for these runewords?

Beast: Has to be zerker for best results, but ettin is virtually as good if not better, as the minimum damage is alot higher
    Latwish: Probably Zerker, but phase blade for the indestuct mod
    Grief: Definately phase blade, for the speed and indestruct mod
    Botd: Zerker gives higher damage, but Colossal Blade suits my build
    Death: Zerker gives higher damage, but Colossal Blade suits my build
    Lawbringer: Phase blade, since this just a ctc weapon, cant make in axes anyway

Since my switch weapons are best in swords, and i dont wanna max 2 masteries, this is my set up

Main weapons:
    Ebotdcb 408% and Edeathcb 384%

Switch weapons:
    Griefpb 400/31 and Lawbringerpb lvl18 Sanctuary

Rest of items/charms on request

12. Xeonplz

Xeonplz IncGamers Member

Thank you very much Spankeh for spending the time to make that post that basicly answeres all my questions. I would also like to know what items you use if you would not mind helping me out =p.

Thanks agian, Xeon

13. lagalot

lagalot IncGamers Member

:badteeth:
    Filled all the gaps in my build which I intentionally left when I bulked up my frenzier with magic find.

14. Gabbana

Gabbana IncGamers Member

wouldnt a couple of eth stormlashes bee kinda decent?

i mean.. cb and static in one.

15. Clay bizzle

Clay bizzle IncGamers Member

I'm currently testing what weapons are the best. Both in and out of Chaos Trist. I think Dual eth Death axes with Treachery armor may come out on top... I've done Beast/Death/Fort, Beast/LW/Fort and Death/LW/Treachery also, all with Treachery prebuffs.

Dual stormlashes are cool, but only for about 1/2 of a bosses life. The damage is annihilated by Death axes.

16. atenza

atenza Banned

Aside from the leech department.. how does EBOTD > Grief???

Grief does way more average damage.

17. Spankeh

Spankeh IncGamers Member

Excellent question.. heres the answer.

1. With no shield, and no leech and no lifetap, after awhile being hit by enemies, plus some poison damage, your life bulb starts to drop down to half. Yes, im doing more damage with Grief, and enemies are dying a little faster, but you get to the stage where you only have a small amount of safety left in your life bulb.
    My total life after lvl44 bo is just under 6000
    Life leech really is so important, and with this build the 15% from ebotdcb is worth the small amount of damage loss.
    2. Since I've taken out Dracs, and replaced gloves with Laying of Hands, I've lost another 10% life leech, so losing ebotdcb to Grief pb, really starts to hurt in the leech and safety department.
    3. Another area I'm rearranging is, removing Verdungos belt for a perfect upped String of Ears. This way, i get back 8% life leech, and could make Grief pb my main weapon of choice over ebotdcb. This would create a new "problem" with 2 different looking weapons equipped lol. I dont know, a phase blade and a colossal blade looks a bit dumb, maybe i should make a grief in a colossal blade or Zweihander, but that would now break and slow down my attack speed a bit, so back to square one in the style department.
    Nah, ill stick to ebotdcb and edeathcb, unless someone comes along with a better idea.

Here is my item layout

Helm - Arreats Face 199% upped 6% life leech socketed with Ber rune
    Armor - Enigma 15%ed Archon plate and CoH 15%ed Archon plate for ubers
    Gloves - Laying of Hands
    Belt - Verdungos 33/15 changing soon to perfect upped 8% LL String of Ears
    Boots - Goreriders 200% upped
    Ammy - Hilords
    Rings - 2xRavenfrost 20/245 20/246
    Charms - 3x masteries/life gc's, 4x 130+ar/5-6-25 strength/dex/life gc's, 6x20life/lite/fire/cold/ar/max sc's
    Anni - 18-18-8
    Torch - 20-14
    Main weapons - ebotdcb and edeathcb
    Switch weapons - Grief pb and Lawbringer pb
    Bo Stash equipment - 2xSoj's, Spider, 4x warcries gc's, 2x +3 warcries daggers, +3 warcries ammy, +2 barb skills with +2 warcries barb helm

GG have fun :thumbsup:

18. Croup

Croup IncGamers Member

Nice posts in general on this topic, that's for sure.

My question is, if you were going to transform that build into more of a MF Frenzy barb, what would you do differently?

19. Uvatha

Uvatha IncGamers Member

o_O
    Well, its good to feel like a noob, after playing the game since it was sold for the first time, thanks for that spankeh. It refreshs peoples souls and makes them think.

Ive been using a not so high ED/CB mods Last wish berserk axe in the off hand with a mid mods beast main hand, since a couple of weeks after torch was droped the first time on East. My best performance was a little below 4 minutes torch drop, soloing the Ubers in a game with 4 friends (all in town). Got a purple before killing baal due to my special ability of not casting life tap untill the bad luck becomes ridiculous high.

This char was made to test possible weapons to get Ubers, but I never even tested other options after geting the LW. Cant recall by heart all stat placements, granted Ive got 20STR from CoH and like 30~32STR from anni+torch. As I did not spent stats on DEX, you see the major part was dumped on vita. As the barb was designed to test, I just spent 1 point in each of the single, not throwing, weapon masteries, and maximized frenzy, its sinergys and BO. Other points was spread, the char is not so high leveled.

Used a few combinations of weapons, even mixing axes with swords with maces, taking notes of the damage output, time spent to kill them, number of deaths, number of pots taken... But when I got LW, it became so pointless to keep on going that I even never made a new char with the right mastery maxed and definitive stat/skill placement. Gear is pretty much standard, as you can see below:
    Arreats ed/ias
    Beast/LWish with BOs on switch
    COH
    Ammy: 2 skills, damage to demons, pally defensive unique (forgot the name)
    LoH
    Gores
    Crafted Belt: FHR/STR/LIFE/OW/LRes
    Raven frost
    Dual Leech rare ring, with a few other mods
    Stash: anni+torch+ some fine SCs, AR/life GCs, life... an assortment of not that good, single mod SCs... nothing fancy.

Ok, I did not take into account the time I used to prebuff fade and BO, before geting into the red portal, but hey... even if I did, it would not be that long. Well, thanks once again for the noob feeling; I will even try a new stupid char tonight.

Cheers

20. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Banned

You already posted about this earlier, Croup. Check out my 1.11 MF Frenzy Barb.

There's no substitute. You won't find a better mf barb build. The only problem is if you can't afford/obtain the items I suggest. You can substitute different items, but you will sacrifice life, kill speed and other factors.