What is the best way to make a very durable sorc?

LunarCrisis

Diabloii.Net Member
What is the best way to make a very durable sorc?

I want to make a hardcore meph runner, and I was wondering what the best way was to make her durable. I've been thinking about using max ES/TK, but I'm not sure if that would be a good idea. On one hand, it is applied before resistances, so they won't matter as much, but on the other hand, that may be a good thing 'cause you could settle for -70% resistances and ES would treat them as 0, freeing up more space for +mana/life items.

Does anyone else have any thoughts/suggestions?
 

Shanksie1337

Diabloii.Net Member
i have to say that this depends on build - personally i hate ES - put a point into a magic armour spell or get one free via an item - ie snowclash belt for the blizz sorc - and u have excellent defence. Couple this with the basic max block build - base energy / str for equip / dex to maintain max block / rest in vit. and you have a very durable sorc.
 

Mage_Killer

Diabloii.Net Member
HC+ 70 negative resistance=pwned
you should tele and sliver with spike+2*pdia mosers and then change to mf weapon switch, really
also energy shield's mana consumption gets really reduced with telekinesis, and together with max ES will give you a nice protection that wont drain all your mana in one normal fallen shaman fireball
 

wangboBW

Diabloii.Net Member
I agree, you should try this build someone posted a while ago, 20 Ice Bolt, 20 Frozen Orb, 20 Cold Mastery, 20 Telekenisis, Rest in E-shield. It's pretty decent at tanking stuff and barely takes any damage to its life with decent resist/block.
 

sawse

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm not a big fan of enery shield at all, as it can lead to death by removing the ability to teleport. So I would say it's a "no no" for hardcore but that's just my opinion. Hell, I've never played hc in my life.

The single biggest safety measure you can take in my opinion is to use a call to arms weapon on switch for the battle orders. There is no other way to get such massive life.
 

chemdem

Diabloii.Net Member
Your concern over teleportation can easily be negated by using an orb or alternate item with teleport charges. When things get hot, having a high block and resist shield with an orb with teleport charges makes things go much smoother. Also, finding an orb with teleport charges is far easier than putting together Call to Arms.
 

sawse

Diabloii.Net Member
chemdem said:
Your concern over teleportation can easily be negated by using an orb or alternate item with teleport charges. When things get hot, having a high block and resist shield with an orb with teleport charges makes things go much smoother. Also, finding an orb with teleport charges is far easier than putting together Call to Arms.

It's true that your way is cheaper, but the origional poster didn't list that as a priority. By going with my plan, you get an extra +1 to all skills, and a massive ammont of extra life. Not only do you get the extra life from battle orders, but you can base your mana pool around the item, thus saving points in energy to put into vitality. Since you don't need + to mana gear you can focus on + to life gear. Perhapse Bul Kathos Wedding Bands instead of SOJ for example. This can make a very high life sorc.
 

Soepgroente

Diabloii.Net Member
LunarCrisis said:
I want to make a hardcore meph runner, and I was wondering what the best way was to make her durable. I've been thinking about using max ES/TK, but I'm not sure if that would be a good idea. On one hand, it is applied before resistances, so they won't matter as much, but on the other hand, that may be a good thing 'cause you could settle for -70% resistances and ES would treat them as 0, freeing up more space for +mana/life items.

Does anyone else have any thoughts/suggestions?
That it's applied before resistances doesn't mean resistances have no effect! If you wear a pillow and a metal plate around your chest and i punch you, the pillow takes effect first, but if the punch is hard enough the plate will help you too.

.......... meaning that resistances still work for reducing damage, only after energy shield. The stinky part about that is that your mana is drained a lot more compared to previous patches where you'd first have your damage reduced and then the mana loss was calculated meaning that you'd lose 3 times less if you had full resistances. But the life loss is the same.

Yea had to clear this up, hi all :teeth:

Ps- teleport charges don't help crap as far as i know, don't know where you're getting that. You have teleport yourself :/
Btw I don't recommend a shield for hc either, just ES+mana+TK+resistance. Watch out for amp/fanat/might archers, they hurt.
 

sawse

Diabloii.Net Member
Soepgroente said:
Btw I don't recommend a shield for hc either, just ES+mana+TK+resistance. Watch out for amp/fanat/might archers, they hurt.
Sounds like a big skill point investment for a dubious benefit to me. Maybe it's just a matter of taste, but I hate playing a sorc with only 1 element for offence.
 

Soepgroente

Diabloii.Net Member
sawse said:
Sounds like a big skill point investment for a dubious benefit to me. Maybe it's just a matter of taste, but I hate playing a sorc with only 1 element for offence.
And i love it :) matter of taste i guess. I hate not having your maximum potential damage because you want a second attack. Gogo might merc for immunes! Gogo teleport for phys/cold immunes! :teeth:
 
Top