Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What is the best area to find level 33-35 small charms? if

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by linkato1, May 26, 2005.

1. linkato1

linkato1 Banned

What is the best area to find level 33-35 small charms?

Hello,

does anyone know the best area to try to find small charms that have item level between 33 and 35 inclusive.

The reason for those levels is that I'm looking for small charms that have highest possible resist for a single element and have the highest possible precentage of magic find.

All single resistances in the highest bracket (10-11%) start to appear from ilvl 32, the magic find suffix 'Good Luck' (6-7%) starts at ilvl 33, the next possible prefix is 'foul' which starts from ilvl 39 and suffix is *Inertia' which starts from ilvl 36.

So if I can get a small charm that has ilvl between 33 and 35 then I have the greatest chances to get the resist and magic find when cubing. I'm I correct?

And if I am, what is the best place to find them?

Topi

2. midnightvulture

midnightvulture IncGamers Member

I would wait for someone like Thrugg or RTB to show up for a definitive answer, but if you got any of your info from the Arreat Summit it's highly suspect, and those ilvls sound kinda low to me...
    I'm also pretty sure that one of the forums, statistics maybe, has a very informative charm guide. You might find some info there, or in ATMA drop-calc.

mv

3. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

Nilly's temple entrance and the first two levels.

in normal that is.

4. shermo

shermo IncGamers Member

they sound suspect to me.

The required character lvl for "of good luck" is 33. So maybe you're getting confused with that

edit: and the required character lvl for the highest resist prefix is 32.

5. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

Yeah, AS has ilvl really messed up, sometimes it's the ilvl, sometimes it's the required level.

6. farting bob

farting bob Banned

10-11% single element res is Ilvl 54, while 6-7%MF is ilvl 61. So ilvl 61 would be optimal for getting both on the same charm, which is crystalline passage, glacial trail, frozen river, drifter cavern and the pit of acheron.
    http://www.marduke.com/bnet/d2/tzon/experience.html

7. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

8. Darkwell

Darkwell IncGamers Member

For sc's simply add 14 to whatever affix level you want and look in that areas lvl. So, for affix lvl 33 look in area lvl 41 and higher.

9. linkato1

linkato1 Banned

Where do you get those ilvl infos? Both AS and DiabloII.net gives the ones I wrote.

Topi

10. Cattleya

Unless the ilvl <= 28, then the alvl = 14 or is greater than 85 where you use the alvl= (2*ilvl)-99 equation.

The alvls for the requested affixs are 40 and 47, so the +14 equation is correct.

Edit:
    I got the alvl info from d2data.net, which I think is your best bet for accurate alvls.

11. farting bob

farting bob Banned

The revised charm guide (see cattle's link) which hasent yet been told its wrong by those who know, so i trust its right.

12. Darkwell

There are alot of posts on this and kronos does/had some errors in his guide. The most sought after affixes, for sc's, follow this rule.

13. linkato1

linkato1 Banned

Checked that Krono's charm guide. It had this as its second entry:

"Lapis: resist cold +6-7%, ilvl 28
    Again, good with a good suffix, not really worthwhile without it."

Now, my HC necro has a Lapis Small Charm of Strength that he has carried around even in NM as it just raises his cold resist over 75% with it's 7% cold resist.

Here is the description:

Lapis Small Charm of Strength
    Keep in Inventory to Gain Bonus
    Required Level: 10
    Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
    Item Level: 8
    Fingerprint: 0x9a36b767
    +1 to Strength
    Cold Resist +7%

Ilvl 8 not 28 or over like Krono's says it should be.

So where is the correct info?

Topi

14. Darkwell

Don't get item level mixed with affix level, their different. The ilvl in atma is the lvl of the monster/area that dropped it, it's not the affix level, which is called ilvl buy some guides, AS and dii.

15. Cattleya

If you read the later posts you will see that this was corrected. That affix falls into the alvl less that 14 so minimum ilvl = 1 catagory. Not all of the ilvls are correct in the first post, but I think the community caught everything later on in the thread.

16. linkato1

linkato1 Banned

OK. How do I then determine the ilvl of a small charm that has the best change on generating what I want when I cube it?

Here is another quote from the posts you directed me into:

"When cubing, the important thing to keep in mind is the item level (abbreviated to ilvl) of the magic item you're cubing - it will determine what prefixes and suffixes the resulting item can have. In this guide I've listed the ilvl of every prefix and suffix of note, so if you're searching for a particular sort of charm, you know what ilvl to start with."

This is the key issue. If we take that Lapis Small Charm of Strength as an example. What are the possible affixes that I can get to it if I cube it with three perfect gems? How do I determine it?

And isn't ilvl of an item the level of monster or area that dropped it?

Topi

17. LeorictheDark

LeorictheDark IncGamers Member

That is my understanding. The ilvl is = to the monster lvl that dropped the item or the area lvl if you find it from a chest and your lvl if you gamble. ATMA clearly states the ilvl of a given item.

18. Darkwell

If you look at AS or dii for magic affixes, suffix & preffix, it will give an ilvl. This is the confusing part. This ilvl and atmas ilvl are different. Atma shows the monster/area lvl that spawned the item. If you want an affix(magic ilvl) lvl 33 reroll on an sc, you need to reroll an ilvl 47.

19. Cattleya

Edit: Just to clarify, the numbers given on AS for the small charms affixes in question are the rlvls (requirement levels) which have nothing at all to do with determining the ilvl needed to get an affix. Thanks, AS! :rolleyes:

Now it's time for fun with math! :D I'm going to post some links which explain the alvl, ilvl, qlvl thing, then I am going to walk through the whole thing for a small charm.

The Guide to modifing items in game:
    http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=258325

This thread has a more in-depth look at the equation for the relation ship between alvl, ilvl, and qlvl. (Look for Thrugg's posts.)
    http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=278690

First the definitions:
    alvl = affix level. This is the number given to an affix, and the number you usually see on AS.
    ilvl = item level. This is the level of the item, determined by the monster that dropped it, or the level of the character that bought/gambled it.
    qlvl = quality level. This is a number assigned to each type of item. Small charms have a qlvl of 28.

There are two equations you need to know:
    alvl = X - (qlvl/2) [low level] <--- round down after dividing
    alvl = (2 * X) - 99 [high level]

Where X = the higher of the qlvl or ilvl of the item.

So, the first thing you need to do is determine the equation to use. You have a high level and low level equation. Here is the equation you use to determine whether and item is high level or low level:
    99 - (qlvl/2) [round down after dividing]

If X is greater than or equal to the number determined above, use the high level equation.
    If X is lower than the number determined above, use the low level equation.

For small charms, qlvl - 28, so our "break point" is 85. So, if the charms ilvl is 1-84, we use the low level equation, if it is 85-99, we use the high level equation. (Since X is the greater of ilvl and qlvl, after ilvl = 28, we use ilvl in the equations.)

Now, because of how X is defined, it can never be below 28. (If the ilvl is less than 28, then the qlvl is used.) This means that for all ilvls up to an including 28, the low level equation always reduces to alvl = 14. This means that any alvl up to 14 can be found on any small charm.

For ilvls from 29 to 84, the low level equation gives us (for ilvls greater than 28, ilvl is used for X):
    alvl = ilvl - 14

For this ilvl range, you can determine what ilvl is needed for a given affix by adding 14 to the alvl of the affix desired.

For ilvls over 85 (again, for this range X = ilvl for small charms):
    alvl = (2 * ilvl) - 99

For this ilvl range, you can determine what ilvl is needed for a given affix by transforming the above equation to ilvl = (alvl + 99)/2. In this case, you will need to round up if your division doesn't give you a whole number.

To summarize:
    ilvl: 1-28
    alvl = 14 (any affix with an alvl less than or equal to 14 can appear on any charm with an ilvl of at least 1, charms found in the Blood Moor in normal can have these affixes.)

ilvl: 29-84
    alvl = ilvl -14 (if you want to see what affixes you can get with a specific ilvl)
    ilvl = alvl +14 (if you want to know what ilvl you need to get a specific affix level)

ilvl: 85-99
    alvl = (2 * ilvl) -99 (if you want to see what affixes you can get with a specific ilvl)
    ilvl = (alvl + 99)/2 [round up!] (if you want to know what ilvl you need to get a specific affix level)

20. LeorictheDark

LeorictheDark IncGamers Member

:clap: Way to go Cattleya!! :clap:

thank you and good night...